I'm thinking of a wheelie but it has to be a .45

This is a discussion on I'm thinking of a wheelie but it has to be a .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While the arguement can be made that .38 would be sufficient, and may be the numbers show it. BUT if I'm going to shell out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking of a wheelie but it has to be a .45

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

I'm thinking of a wheelie but it has to be a .45

While the arguement can be made that .38 would be sufficient, and may be the numbers show it. BUT if I'm going to shell out the money and trust my life to it I want a .45 just as a personal preference. I'm not wanting an arguement with caliber this is just what I prefer.

The thing is, is there a double action concealable .45 revolver? Where should I look?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

Good question. *Sits in the chair and waits for an answer*
    Beretta 92FS

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Actually, Taurus makes a .45 acp that uses moon clips AND a .45 Long Colt, both in snubbies! Go look in one of the online auctions.

You could always step up one more "notch" to a .454 Casull or .480 Ruger ... such as the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. That'll have all the stopping power you need. "Is that a gun in your pocket or ..."

I don't know of any .45 revolvers, offhand.

Here's a photo from the above link, showing the .454 Casull Alaskan at work ...

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

concealable .45 revolver ? thats a large revolver your talking about, or your a very big guy that can hide such.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm

Here's a photo from the above link, showing the .454 Casull Alaskan at work ..
    Just a tiny bit of recoil in those .454's eh?
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil
    Actually, Taurus makes a .45 acp that uses moon clips AND a .45 Long Colt, both in snubbies! Go look in one of the online auctions.
    And actually, you don't have to use the moon clips. I just turn mine up and "bump" the hand holding the gun against my other hand and all 5 shells fall out. Taurus Tracker, mine has a 7" barrel, but they also come shorter.

the S&W 325PD with 2 3/4inch barrell is 45acp

I have a Smith and Wesson 625 with a four-inch barrel. It fires .45 ACP using moon clips. It is a nice gun, but it's quite large -- it would not be the most comfortable weapon for CCW.

My daily carry revolver is a Smith and Wesson 637. Loaded with +P hollowpoints, it is more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan
    the S&W 325PD with 2 3/4inch barrell is 45acp
    +1 on the 325PD. I handled one at the LGS the other day and I think I'm in love. Could easily be carried OWB in the cooler months. I even think with just the right holster and cover garment I could carry it IWB. The only concern I have is muzzle velocity out of that short barrel. Would probably stick with ball ammo as I don't think HP's are going to be moving fast enough for reliable expansion. Also talked with a gent on line who carries one OWB.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The smith as said above but its big

That said if i was gonna carry one it would be this

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You got only a couple of choices that have been mentioned above.

It will be hard to reach the .45 only but small enough for comfortable CC thing.

If using a .45 for CC,look into using the .45 Auto Rimmed rds. they are available from a couple of places and could load your own for the bullet variety thing.--------

That's a really sweet upgrade there QK but I did notice a wee difference on the price tag! I need to win the Lottery. Then my LGS owner would probably retire a wealthy man.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Smith custom shop also makes a kinda funky looking .45 snubby but I can't remember it's model number. If memory serves (definitely NOT worth betting on!) it was a steel frame gun. It was designed as a modern equivelent to the "Fitz Special", although the trigger guard was kept intact.

I know there are guys who hide that fat N frame cylinder very well, but I think it might be a challenge.

Will you consider .44 special?

You could expand your possibilities if you would consider a .44 special revolver in addition to the .45. The .44 special has similar bullet weight, diameter and ballistics to the .45 (depending on how they are loaded, of course).

Here is one possibility on Gunbroker - a S&W model 24-3 with 3 inch barrel, slightly used for $569:
    S&W model 24-3 auction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links