Taurus revolvers in 22lr? 990/970/94 models

This is a discussion on Taurus revolvers in 22lr? 990/970/94 models within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I been posting around on the web, trying get answers about Taurus's 22lr revolvers. I am not willing to spend $550+ for a S&W ...

Thread: Taurus revolvers in 22lr? 990/970/94 models

Question Taurus revolvers in 22lr? 990/970/94 models

Hi, I been posting around on the web, trying get answers about Taurus's 22lr revolvers. I am not willing to spend $550+ for a S&W and a Ruger sp 101 in 22lr thats $700... I do not want a SA only. If I am going to be spending $500 or more for a 22lr handgun I rather buy a 1911 in 45 acp from SArmory for $600.

I have done research the past two weeks on finding the "better" Taurus revolver, so far model 94's are not the best and seam to have more failure rates and sent back to factory(also checked buds gun shop reviews and its about the same what I am finding on the net, hate 94's and better reports with 990s/970). The 970/990's seams to be getting the raves although there still is binding problems and cylinder lock ups(same thing?) I do not care about DA pulls because that can lossen with time. I really had my hope set on a snubnose 22lr but I am not willing to take a risk.

So my question is really, do you own a Taurus 22lr revolver? whats your experience? I just hear alot of bashing and so little good reports, IMO if it was such a bad gun. They would have stopped making them due to no profits.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Go to taurusarmed.net

BTW--- Welcome from North Carolina!!!!

I have been there, only a few people can tell me about it. Looking for more experience with people, I have only heard from about 10 people on that site. Most people enjoy their 990's but some have had to sent it back for repairs.

Thanks.

Oh, you're that one.. Haha. Sorry, I have only 9mm.

Just went through the revolver thread at taurusarmed. You will finds lots of opinions and thoughts going back through the pages....

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia. I used to have (10 years ago) one of the older 94 models. Blued, they seem to make them different now. The one I had was solid steel that was blued. The ones now, seem to be made of aluminum or something and with a thick black finish almost like paint. The older "steel" models were better as far as I'm concerned. I didn't have any problems with the one I had.

I had more problems with cylinder lock up from a S&W 317 that I had, than I did from the Taurus. The 317 was horrible for cylinder lock up, empties that would not eject (get stuck), never again.

I would love to have an SP101 in .22 myself, or an older S&W K-22 or something like that. We (wife and I) now have a H&R 929 which we got for $240, it is double action, but is a very stiff trigger pull. Not the most accurate gun either. Can't figure out the sights on it.

Good luck with your decision.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have one (94). The trigger pull is horrendous. Other than that, I like it a bunch. I bought it last summer NIB.

VIP Member
    Spend a few more bucks and get a Smith or Ruger.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    My 94 has been FLAWLESS for 4 years. Terrible trigger but always goes BANG!

Is this for plinking?

If so - I got lucky last year and came across an old used Iver Johnson "Sealed" Target 8 .22 revolver. You need to pull the pin out to remove the cylinder to load it. In SA mode, the trigger is pretty fair...though kinda heavy in DA mode. Sights stink, but for the $150 I paid for it, it's a nice little fun gun. If you can find one in decent shape, snap it up.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Look for a nice used High Standard Sentinel. Great pistol, usually under $200, and much better than a Taurus (former Taurus owner speaking from experience here).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Sorry to come in late here. I am very fond of my 991... a bit different animal in .22 WMR.

The single-action trigger is very crisp and nice (double-action is long and heavy, though). I have found it extremely accurate and reliable with heavier bullet weights (40 - 50g), but it sprayed hypervelocity ammunition all over the paper. I would put it just barely below my Browning Buckmark Camper for accuracy, and well above my old Ruger MkII Standard.

The grips are just meh. I am hoping to find some Hogues to replace them with.

My guess is that a new Taurus revolver will run you around $350 out the door. For maybe $75 more you can get a good used S&W M17 (K-22) or a M63 (22/32 Kit Gun) if you're patient and you shop around. Short of rusted-out clunkers, nearly any of the S&W wheelguns are timeless and when the action wears there are plenty of 'smiths out there to fix 'em. New ones are decidedly pricey, but the used ones are rarely worn out and are solid values.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links