Which guns are known to accidentally fire?

This is a discussion on Which guns are known to accidentally fire? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was reading recently about a 5 or 6 year old boy who brought a gun to school, dropped it causing it to discharge ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Which guns are known to accidentally fire?

Which guns are known to accidentally fire?

So I was reading recently about a 5 or 6 year old boy who brought a gun to school, dropped it causing it to discharge and injure some students. Also there is another thread on this site talking about the guy in the restaurant who's pocket pistol went off accidentally (although I'm not sure if he dropped it, or what).

So that bring up an interesting question. Does anyone know which models of gun are prone to accidental discharges when dropped? Unfortunately, there is no easy way to test this personally. I'm not going to throw my guns at the floor while chambered to see if they fire or not.

The 4 guns I currently have are:
    • Glock 19
    • Walther P22
    • Walther PK380 (my wife's gun)
    • Taraus TCP 735

Does anyone know if the actions on any of these are ones I should be worried about if I drop it?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    "I dropped it and it went off" is code for "I am an idiot. I pulled the trigger, and I am not willing to admit it."

Now there may be a few guns out there with heavy, free-floating firing pins that may theoretically strike a primer hard enough to ignite when dropped, but I am willing to bet that every single one of the reports of "dropped it" were a case of "carelessly fired the gun".

Early LCPs that have not been modified. I think they are marked with a * when they are modified but I'd have to look it up.

EDIT: I googled it

http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/
    How to determine if your pistol needs the retrofit: All LCP pistols bearing prefix “370” (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected. Newly manufactured and retrofitted “370” prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer as shown to the right. Going forward, new pistols will be marked with the serial number prefix “371” (serial number 371-xxxxx) or higher. Pistols with the “371” prefix or higher (for example, 372, 373, etc.) are not affected.
    and its a diamond not a *

And those Snake Slayers have a reputation for discharging when dropped.

The guns that are notorious for firing when dropped are the older single action revolvers that do not have a transfer bar. The firing pin on the hammer would rest on the primer when decocked and when dropped the hammer spur would be hit and the gun would fire. That's the reason many old timers kept an empty cylinder under the hammer.

Most modern handguns have internal safeties that prevent this. The biggest cause of dropped guns discharging is the person grabbing for the dropped gun and introducing a finger into the trigger guard.

Shooting rule number 5 should be "Do NOT try to catch a dropped firearm!"

All of the guns you listed should be safe if dropped.
    BugDude and Takedown like this.

I have a cheap. 25 Raven that I have owned since 1993,it has never went off on its own but I don't trust it at all with one in the pipe.

Sent from my g-tablet

I think your fears are misplaced. Practice constant vigilance while handling and respect for your weapons and keep the triggers protected at all times when in a pocket or on your body via a solid holster; care for and inspect your weapon and your equipment and use your head when it comes to handling your weapon by making it a ritual, by repetition and training to check your weapon multiple times to clear it both visually and physically and you too will be able to live a wonderful life as a firearm owner ND and AD free like many of us here have for many decades and be able to stop worrying so much about things going boom and hurting yourself and others.

That being said; many years ago; I dropped an old model 70 1911 in condition one out of my holster off of a horse ( the thumb strap came off and my horse spooked) onto the rocks below, and it tumbled 75 feet down a rocky ravine and nothing went boom, only my heart when I damaged my most prized possession.
    Stubborn, gunthorp and bigdog44 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I think your fears are misplaced. Practice constant vigilance while handling and respect for your weapons and keep the triggers protected at all times when in a pocket or on your body via a solid holster; care for and inspect your weapon and your equipment and use your head when it comes to handling your weapon by making it a ritual, by repetition and training to check your weapon multiple times to clear it both visually and physically and you too will be able to live a wonderful life as a firearm owner ND and AD free like many of us here have for many decades and be able to stop worrying so much about things going boom and hurting yourself and others..
    BRAVO! Common sense! Outstanding! I have seen so many guys here put it humorously, "keep your booger hook off the bang switch", but seriously if you pull the trigger it's going to shoot, sounds dumb to have to say it, but obviously there are a lot that don't get it, or else don't believe it...Pull the trigger its going to shoot, don't pull the trigger it won't shoot! Really a pretty simple concept.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    That being said; many years ago; I dropped an old model 70 1911 in condition one out of my holster off of a horse ( the thumb strap came off and my horse spooked) onto the rocks below, and it tumbled 75 feet down a rocky ravine and nothing went boom, only my heart when I damaged my most prized possession.
    I think I cried a little bit reading that... poor gun

los
    Kinda like asking..:

Which cars are accidental prone?
    ccwguy likes this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member
    If it makes you feel any better, I dropped a loaded G19 with no incident, other than I really really don't want to do that ever again. It fell on a tile floor from about three feet.

Unless you have an old single action revolver without a transfer bar, or an open bolt firing machine gun with a worn sear, its not something you really need to worry about all that much.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    So I was reading recently about a 5 or 6 year old boy who brought a gun to school, dropped it causing it to discharge and injure some students. Also there is another thread on this site talking about the guy in the restaurant who's pocket pistol went off accidentally (although I'm not sure if he dropped it, or what).

So that bring up an interesting question. Does anyone know which models of gun are prone to accidental discharges when dropped? Unfortunately, there is no easy way to test this personally. I'm not going to throw my guns at the floor while chambered to see if they fire or not.

The 4 guns I currently have are:

• Glock 19
    • Walther P22
    • Walther PK380 (my wife's gun)
    • Taraus TCP 735

Generally, they are very easy to spot, they come with fingers attached to the trigger. :-)
    Does anyone know if the actions on any of these are ones I should be worried about if I drop it?
    Maybe this is why the original M1911 came with a lanyard loop?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

The most accident prone gun is an empty one, those go off constantly it seems. That aside, I've never known anyone who experienced a dropped weapon that discharged. I think one of the other posters was dead on; it is an age old excuse for stupidity and/or poor trigger discipline.
    bigdog44 and Xader like this.

I did drop a RIA Compact 45,it came outa my holster when I raised my shirt,"didn't realise I trapped my shirt in the holster" It fell muzzle first about 3 feet and as it hit a tiled concrete floor in my bathroom it seemed to hang there for a second and then I heard a "BOOOM" It blew a chunk of tile out slightly bigger than the muzzle and you could see a round black powder burn on the concrete,had to be almost perfectly straight up and down,the bullet shrapneled and I found pieces of lead and jacket all over,I did have a slight cut on my ankle.All safeties were still engaged,It looked like the firing pin spring allowed the pin to hit with enough inertia to hit and ignite the primer.I ordered a Wolff xtra strong firing pin spring not only for the RIA,but for all my 1911's.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I did drop a RIA Compact 45,it came outa my holster when I raised my shirt,"didn't realise I trapped my shirt in the holster" It fell muzzle first about 3 feet and as it hit a tiled concrete floor in my bathroom it seemed to hang there for a second and then I heard a "BOOOM" It blew a chunk of tile out slightly bigger than the muzzle and you could see a round black powder burn on the concrete,had to be almost perfectly straight up and down,the bullet shrapneled and I found pieces of lead and jacket all over,I did have a slight cut on my ankle.All safeties were still engaged,It looked like the firing pin spring allowed the pin to hit with enough inertia to hit and ignite the primer.I ordered a Wolff xtra strong firing pin spring not only for the RIA,but for all my 1911's.
    we need to ban shirts and concrete floors
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links