SP 101 in .327 Federal

SP 101 in .327 Federal

This is a discussion on SP 101 in .327 Federal within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at this for some time now. Do any of you guys have one? Or have something that runs .327? I've admired the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP 101 in .327 Federal

SP 101 in .327 Federal

I've been looking at this for some time now. Do any of you guys have one? Or have something that runs .327? I've admired the 101 in .357 for years but never bought one, the idea of the sixth round really does it for me though. Looking at the charts this seems to be a pretty hot round from the premium ammo manufacturers. Give me some feedback.

My wife has one. It is a nice gun, and the round will do the job. Don't believe the hype that it is "much less recoil" than the .357. I would say it is about the same. With more mild loads I would say the .357 has less recoil. You can shoot .32 H&R mag for less recoil, but it is not cheap. All in all I think it is a good round, but she went with it because the marketing claimed less recoil than .357. I don't see it. The extra round is nice, but I am not sure it is worth the cost of ammo.

VIP Member
    I recently considered the S&W 632 but I’m not sold on the whole idea. Yes, it’s a j-frame stainless with plenty of stopping power and the sixth round is a big plus. I suppose if I didn’t already have a Smith’ 640, I would likely buy one. The ammo costs doesn’t really bother me all that much, and all-in-all it's a good carry piece. I don’t have any firsthand experience with the Ruger variant but it’s likely just as good.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    327 Fed, 32 H&R, 32 S&W Long ( and Short) and 32ACP all out of the same cylinder.

none of these are inexpensive calibers but if you re-load the dies for 32 H&R can be turned in for 32 S&W Long or out for 327 Fed
    i am keeping my S&W 332 and am giving my daughter the 642. She can get adequate (open for debate) stopping power with 38 LSWC's and silvertips with lower recoil than a full-boat 32 H&R ( even though it has 1 more shot in it I'm keeping it cause it is harder to hit accurately with)

i am not in the market to add another gun--the 327. but if i did not already have a 332 id be waiting on Smith to offer me a 327.
    why the 'reports' play down the recoil is a mystery, but it is a handfull even in the relatively heavy Ruger.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    327 Fed, 32 H&R, 32 S&W Long ( and Short) and 32ACP all out of the same cylinder.
    Where did you see that it can handle 32ACP?
    Glock Certified Armorer

I see the 327 mag as an answer looking for a question. Please make mine a 38 spl with 158 swc bullet at, say around 850-900 fps, thank you.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I see the 327 mag as an answer looking for a question. Please make mine a 38 spl with 158 swc bullet at, say around 850-900 fps, thank you.
    Hey, that's what I always say about the .40 S&W!

I have one. I like it, but I suggest a Hogue grip for it.

Both the SD and Range 100gr rounds are 500 ft-lbs. Not a light recoil but manageable in the heavy SP 101 with a Hogue grip. The 85gr SD round is considerably easier at around 380 ft-lbs.

The same 100gr rounds in the much lighter Charter Arms snubbie are scary. I have to wear a glove to shoot it.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The .32 H&R family is very interesting.

Looks like one can really go from mild to wild with it, to some extent that is.

Having never handled anything in .32.. I can see why it's a choice for the recoil shy in some loads.

I have the SP101 in .327 and find it is a pretty " hot " load but mostly shoot the 32 H&R magnum which it handles very easily. I get the ammo from Georgia Arms (?) and the cost is not prohibitive. Waiting now to get it back from Gemini Customs which is Hybra-porting it plus some other work. Go to their website and you will see some really nice looking Rugers they have worked on as well as S&W. For me, the 327 is a highly underrated slug and it can do some real damage to any BG who comes along. You have to realize that, on this thread, many people would ONLY be caught dead with anything less that 357 or 45 slugs in their EDC! A friend of mine who has a GS says he knows vets who carry 22LR as their ONLY carry weapon and others who like the 32acp. So go with your choice: you're the one who will be using it.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

DocGlock: It's the .32 S&W, NOT the acp!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Sexy little gun in my opinion. For someone that is recoil sensitive it is a much better option than a .38 or a 357 and it hits better than the .38 too. It is also hard to argue with the fact that it usually gives you 1 extra round too! over all it is a very good gun for a select market I wouldn't own it cuz I would rather have it in a .357 but I am not every body.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    DocGlock: It's the .32 S&W, NOT the acp!
    I know that and you know that, but, did you not see that I was quoting and questioning part of the post above mine?
    Glock Certified Armorer

DocGlock: I did notice , but they put the response where they put it! I replied to the proper thread and it wound up where it wound up. Sorry!

DocG... Geeze, maybe I did send it to the wrong thread. MY BAD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links