Thoughts on a S&W 4043

This is a discussion on Thoughts on a S&W 4043 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone own one or have experience with them? Price/value in today's market? Most common use of this firearm?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MNBurl

Thread: Thoughts on a S&W 4043

Thoughts on a S&W 4043

Anyone own one or have experience with them?

Price/value in today's market?

Most common use of this firearm?

2. Remove Ads

I have several 3rd gen smiths. The 40xx series were one of the first 40S&W guns made for the rounds. There are many police agencies that still use them for duty use including CHP.

Rock solid guns and the 3 on the end means it has a aluminum frame so lighter weight and xx4x means DAO. I have a 6946 was my first carry gun and it's DAO trigger is long but very good. It has over 8000 trouble free rounds down range.

Price is $275 to 350. Carry gun and great shooter.
    glockcoma likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have a S&W 5943 - (9mm - DAO - Aluminum Frame)

The trigger pull is indeed long but it is not too heavy. I love the gun. I use it as my Duty weapon and occasionally CCW.

The Long DAO pull is something you would have to practice with and see if you like it. I've gotten really good with it, but its not for everyone.

Mine was a Police Trade-In, I paid about $400. I've seen them cheaper.

The 3rd Gen Smiths are solid guns.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Be aware that the alloy-framed .40s won't stand up to a lot of shooting. The design of this pistol is such that the steel barrel and integral locking block slams into the frame each time the pistol fires. With an all-steel gun, or one in a less... aggressive... caliber, this normally isn't an issue. But several police agencies (Memphis PD for sure, a few others I heard about) dumped their alloy-framed .40 3rd gen S&Ws because of frame cracks.

The FBI reported the same problem with 1st gen M-59s back in the 80s... but the round count was like 10K or so before it started happening. The Memphis PD FTU guy I spoke with in 2005 or 2006 said their 4053s started cracking frames at less than two thousand rounds. These guns were all over the used market for a while; big re-sellers like Bud's and CDNN had quite a few of them. A pal was interested in getting one and asked me about it; that's how I got involved.

The 3rd gen pistols are okay; overly complex by today's standards, but okay. The local large PD here issued 4046s for several years. They didn't have any cracking problems because of the all-steel construction (and those guns weigh a TON), but they kept breaking trigger bars and finally went to Glocks.

We had several hundred of the 9mm s in service; mainly 5906, with a smattering of other variants. They were solid, dependable pistols... for the most part.

But the .40 S&W cartridge is hard on guns. The S&W alloy frame simply will not handle large doses of it.

Links