Making my first choice the right choice with regard to Concealed Carry & Home Defense

Making my first choice the right choice with regard to Concealed Carry & Home Defense

This is a discussion on Making my first choice the right choice with regard to Concealed Carry & Home Defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, new guy here. Looking to get a 9mm handgun for home defense and possibly concealed carry as I become more familiar with handling a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Making my first choice the right choice with regard to Concealed Carry & Home Defense

Hello, new guy here.

Looking to get a 9mm handgun for home defense and possibly concealed carry as I become more familiar with handling a handgun. I want to spare you guys from a super long thread so I'll state the information and hopefully that'll help you guys help me make a decision:

-21years old (legal age to purchase handguns in my State).
    -Left handed.
    -Right eye dominant.
    -There will be children in the household (my younger siblings).
    -College student so I need my first purchase to be the right one as I can't afford more than one gun.
    -My hands are pretty big as I'm 6ft tall (leaning on the large size then medium).
    -Looking at mainly getting the best polymer gun.

So far I've put a lot of hours into reading various reviews, watching youtube videos (lol!) and I've come down to these guns:

-Ruger SR9 Ruger SR9 9mm 4.1" Adjustable Sights Rail 17 Round Stainless -- for Sale at JetGuns $381.00
    -S&W M&P9 S&W M&P9 206301 9M 4.25 AMSFT 17R -- for Sale at JetGuns $439.00
    -Springfield XDM Springfield XDM 9mm Black -- for Sale at JetGuns $552.00

I should also note that I plan on getting some kind of laser and tac light and so I'm not sure which one of these guns has the better accessory options as of yet?

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to respond to my situation!

Research the Glock 19...Compact and/or the Glock 17...Fullsize Just a suggestion.

Welcome to DC, from South Carolina...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Of your choices I would vote the M$P 9mm
    oneshot likes this.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I am a big fan of the m&p line. I have several and all have been flawless.
    oneshot likes this.

I have considered the Glock 19 and it was actually the gun I was going to get but I simply can't, anesthetically, get over how it looks. I don't consider it to be "ugly" or anything, I just drool more over the other guns (SR9 for example) than the Glocks.

Function over form prevails in the field of the firearm.

welcome... and your situation is not unique. Even the cross-eye dominance is far from rare (and easier to deal with in handgunning than, say, long arm shooting).

One of the standard pieces of advice offered here on DC is to "fly before you buy." If it's at all possible, find a range or gun shop with a range that rents guns, and get some trigger time with your candidate guns. Keep an open mind, and don't let opinions based on paper specs overrule what feels good in your hand (but don't ignore the specs, either...).

If you stick with well-known brands and guns - such as the ones you mention - you'll end up with a reliable piece. And if you are serious about carrying, then please reserve sufficient funds for proper training and equipment (e.g., concealment holster that's specific to your gun, spare magazines, etc.).

Lastly, a couple of things to keep in mind are these: your mind is the weapon, the gun is just a tool; and proficiency with handguns is a perishable skill - it ain't like riding a bicycle. If you carry a sidearm, you need to practice regularly.

Good luck - stay safe - and ask lots of questions! The dumbest question you have is the one you are afraid to ask.
    gatech33, redrick and chefjon like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    From your list, the only one I'd even consider is the M&P. Hold off on the laser, spend the money on range ammo and take a real combat shooting class.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Siblings being under the same roof should not even factor in to your choice of firearm.
    That responsibility to always keep your firearm in your total control and in all ways absolutely secure at all times belongs to you. It goes with the territory.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    gasmitty and SIXTO hit the key points.

Gain some experience with different platforms. Beg, borrow, rent what you can; visiting a gun shop and handling the weapons is always a fun outing and gun owner's have plenty of opinion's. I frequently get to try out new guns by letting someone shoot what I bring to the range and in turn fire a couple rounds through what they have. There are plenty of shooters who enjoy helping start new shooters in the sport.

Lights and lasers aren't essential gear, like the previous posters stated fundamentals, training and ammo are much more important than gadgets. I can't tell you how many people I know who purchase a decent handgun with intent to carry and then get a cheap rig to carry it in. They always blame the pistol when in fact it's the rig. It isn't only a holster that hides a weapon, it's more importantly the gun belt to support and conceal that is the key.

Joining a forum is a good start too. I don't think you would go wrong with any of your choices so far, all quality weapons there. Remember everyone has their favorite platform and you will soon see how strongly they defend them. Pick what works for you, I have never understood the "tell me what to buy" posts that are put up so frequently on firearms boards. It takes what fits the individual, needs and preferences.

Sleipnir

I agree, although I haven't heard anything significantly bad about any of the guns.

gasmitty

Thank you for the advice & welcome and I just want to say that the carrying idea is something I want to have as an option. As far as me being serious about it, I think it can wait a few years since I'm just starting out.

SIXTO

I'll be honest I'm leaning heavy on the M&P. Also have the same opinion on the laser but I haven't looked into combat shooting class since I don't own a gun and don't have time just yet (finals coming up).

QKShooter

Thank you for the concern and I do agree with you. Overall, I only mentioned little ones because I wanted to make it aware to everyone that I do not live alone and thus a shotgun for practical home defense would not be an option for me.

Not much to add, but I agree that you should try out as many of those guns if possible. Then decide how you are going to conceal the gun. The one big downside of a full size weapon is that the size and weight will require you to buy a very sturdy carrying setup (gunbelt, holster, etc.), otherwise, your pants will be around your ankles.

cmb
    Try before you buy, certain platforms fit better, I love the versatility of the Glock but the grip and angle is different than that of Ruger, XD 1911 etc... function also trumps looks, that said the trigger on the SR9 has not had good reviews, I have not shot one and I am a huge Ruger fan owning 7, they say the SR9c however has a different trigger group and great trigger and ha a 10 round and 17 round mag option, (I think it has ambi safeties also) since you will only have one gun this may be a good option for you...

I have thought long and hard about lasers and light and I have always decided against the laser and I just got a good hand held flash light, more versatile and can be used with all my firearms...

Hope this helps...

VIP Member
    I own an XDm 3.8 and serval M&P's. Being a lefty myself they are both pretty easy to operate, but the M&P even has an ambi slide release. Both handguns are rock solid and have proven extremely reliable. The SR9 is a straight up Ruger (They make good quality firearms, but are never at the top in anything they do). The four firearms mentioned below (in no real order) are tip top and no brainer picks.

M&P, XD, Glock, and HK................

I would suggest the M&P just because of the whole package of dependability, features, cost, and the support that S&W offers.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I have a bunch of Gen3 Glocks, and I love 'em. But the sun doesn't rise and set with Glock. I may have bought my last one.

I like SIXTO's comment:

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    From your list, the only one I'd even consider is the M&P. Hold off on the laser, spend the money on range ammo and take a real combat shooting class.
    Training over gadgets. Always.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links