Carry weapon help.

This is a discussion on Carry weapon help. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all. I'm in the process of evaluating my carry gun. My 1911 has grown a bit large and heavy in the past couple months, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry weapon help.

Carry weapon help.

Hey all. I'm in the process of evaluating my carry gun. My 1911 has grown a bit large and heavy in the past couple months, and I've been carrying less because of it. So, I tried my LCR the other day, and that carries very nice, but it doesn't seem to shoot straight! So, I'm on the prowl for something light, small, and thin in semi-auto to try.

Right now I've got it narrowed down to something in the Kahr line, or PPS, I think. Prefer something with night sights, or at least has the option to change sights. 9mm or 45acp is fine, not a .40 fan. I understand that something this small isn't normally a range gun, but I don't really want something that is miserable to shoot either.

Anything pistols I've missed?

I'll keep working with the LCR in the meantime as well.

Thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    My LCR shoots just fine. No problems at all. For close in social work it really doesn't have to be super accurate anyway.
    Also, love the PPS in 9mm. Not as hard a recoil as I expected. Great side carry, a little too spread out for pocket.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

How do you plan to carry? IWB? Pocket? Other?

For pocket carry - PM9 ($$$), CM9 ($$), LCP ($), P3at ($), Rohrbaugh R9 ($$$$), new Diamondback DB9 ($)

For IWB/OWB in a thin pistol - add the rest of the Kahr line, LC9, PF9, PPS, maybe even the Glock 36

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but those would be a good start.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Get you a Kahr PM9 with night sights. Love mine.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

sgb
    I've been carrying 1911's for 30 years but I'm taking a real shine to the S&W M&P auto's. Picked up a M&P 9c and plan on adding a M&P 9 soon.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'll probably carry IWB, but I don't object to pocket. I've owned a LCP, and while it pocketed nicely, I loathed the sights. Point and shoot or not, I just couldn't get used to it, so it went bye bye.

I had Ruger replace the LCR sight with a XS, and haven't gotten used to it either.

I've been busy putting together an Excel file on several popular models, including the ones I own, and have owned for comparison. The Kahr line is winning pretty easily at this point.

I'll head down to the GS next week and put my paws on as many of your suggestions as I can.

I appreciate the advice!

Mike
    DPMS AR-15

I've not experience with the pps, but the Kahr CW9 and CM9 are a decent price and certainly a walk in the park for belt carry. For more capacity and still a rather easy belt carry, there's nothing wrong with the Glock 26, IMO.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Hello Mike,

I think you're on the right track looking at the Kahrs. My CW45 was my CCW of choice until I decided I'd like something a little smaller and got the CM9. It's a dream to carry & shoot, and very reasonably priced. Either one carries very nicely IWB, but the CM9 is a much smaller profile, obviously. I didn't (and don't) think the extra features of the PM's were worth the difference in price for my purposes.

I've CC'd a 1911, .357 Security Six snub, Walther PPK/s, SIG P232, XDm .40, and several .38 snubs (as well as a few mouse guns), but the Kahrs are my two favorites. Enjoy your shopping!

Regards,
    Jim

Senior Moderator
    Glock 19 (Generation 3!). They're very popular for a reason.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks guys! I don't think I can carry a Glock. I couldn't hide my XD9SC, so I can't imagine a Glock anything being much of an improvement.

Mike
    DPMS AR-15

IMHO, the Sig P232 with the right ammuntion is really a good carry. Thin so you can carry pocket, IWB or whatever you want to do or carry. The new BB .380 ammo makes this thing a real contender for the carry title. I hate thick guns they either show and outline or are a pain in the side. The P232 accuracy is top notched and reliable. The BB ammo delivers a ME of between 280 and 290#'s and thats in big 9mm country. I carry mine in my front pocket and have had no problems having it being a concealed weapon. Don't get me wrong I like the bigger guns but I want to carry something that's comfortable. I own a Sig P220 45cal, Ruger SR9 9mm, several .357 pistols so I can carry big if need be.

fknipfer1

If you want to stick with 1911 style, Kimber's carry lines are lightweight. One of them has an aluminum body and is supposed to be pretty light. Otherwise I will second the M&P 9c line. The full size M&P isn't much lighter than your 1911 so keep that in mind.

If you want s slimmed down 1911, with great dependability and accuracy, try a Colt Defender.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    If you want to stick with 1911 style, Kimber's carry lines are lightweight. One of them has an aluminum body and is supposed to be pretty light. Otherwise I will second the M&P 9c line. The full size M&P isn't much lighter than your 1911 so keep that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    If you want s slimmed down 1911, with great dependability and accuracy, try a Colt Defender.
    These guys make sense...why not stick with the gun that you know best? There are plenty of 1911s that are specifically made for CC and you can probably even pick up something like a EMP or Warthog and be happy.

Kahrs are great guns but if CZ made a small CC gun that I liked (I do not like the Rami) I would run with that instead.

Thanks guys! I've looked at small 1911's. At about 26 oz, that's only 5 oz's lighter than my current pistol choice. I'm just not convinced that is enough of a difference to fit the bill or not.

Mike
    DPMS AR-15

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links