Ruger SP101 Meprolight

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 Meprolight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got a chance to shoot my SP101 with the Meprolight sight. I have to say I really didn't like it. I can't use ...

Thread: Ruger SP101 Meprolight

Ruger SP101 Meprolight

I finally got a chance to shoot my SP101 with the Meprolight sight. I have to say I really didn't like it. I can't use the same sight picture as with the standard factory sights or the gun will shoot way low. I have to line the "dot" up midway with the notch in the rear to hit to poa/poi. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this site truly taller than the factory sight? I'm thinking I'm going back to the factory sight, especially since I just put CT grips on it as well.

2. Remove Ads

I should mention that I was shooting at 7-8 yards and was shooting 38 special in 130 gr FMJ. I thought it would shoot a little low but not 6" low. 158gr .357 loads were shooting nearly 5" low or so.

By chance are you anticipating the recoil?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Not that I can tell. I had my father in law shoot it and it was hitting roughly the same place. Neither of us are handgun experts but I have shot enough to hopefully not anticipate recoil.

Did you put the sights on or did a gun shop do it? You might what to have the gun bore sighted...and take it from there.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I had a gunshot put the sit on. It appears taller than the factory but I cant tell for sure.

Take a 'point shooting course'...could solve your problem.OMO

"Don't need no stinkin' sights."
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 29th, 2011 at 06:55 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you have the old sight you might try this.

Take out meprolight sight. Put meprolight and old factory sights side by side and line up with a pin, paper clip whatever. Then see if meprolight sight higher than original factory sight. Good luck.

VIP Member
    I think it has to be higher or the night sight is useless. If you're not using the dot as your front aiming point, why have a night sight? It's changed the sights from a 6 o'clock hold to a center hold (sometimes called a combat hold, I think).

BTW, you're gonna love the CT grips. I think they're the most comfortable grip for the SP101 I've ever tried.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I shot it some more and I'm getting used to it. It is just going to take practice. I'm just used to having the top of my sights lined up, where as you really have to use the dot on this. It's basically useless now though since I have the laser. When it goes thump in the night, I'm doubting I'll use the sight since I know my laser is dead on. I'm sure others may disagree.

Links