Glock 23 Vs. SIG P229

Glock 23 Vs. SIG P229

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Vs. SIG P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own both and love both, but wanted to know your opinions. I have a friend that is wanting to get one or the other ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glock 23 Vs. SIG P229

Glock 23 Vs. SIG P229

I own both and love both, but wanted to know your opinions. I have a friend that is wanting to get one or the other but doesnt know which to get. He lives out of state, so letting him shoot each is not really an option. He is about 5'11", 215 lbs. A little soft around the middle, so either should not be a problem for him. I've tried to go over the pro's and con's of each with him, but wanted to hear from you guys to see if there was something that I was missing. This will be mostly for concealed carry for him when he gets his permit. If you had the choice, which would you buy/carry?

I like Glocks

Although either gun is excellent, I'd get the Glock.They are easy to shoot, accurate and utterly reliable. My Glock30 is the only gun that I have ever shot that has NEVER jammed or malfunctioned in any way, and that list of guns includes a .357/.38 revolver (that has jammed).

While both guns are good, personally, I can't with good concience pick the Glock, as, for me, the Glock, has terrible Ergonomics. So between the 2, i'd pick the Sig....and over that, give me an XD40SC

Glock for carry, Sig for shooting

I have both of these guns and have carried both. I think they are equal in reliability, which for me is the most important characteristic in a defensive gun.

I can shoot better groups with the Sig P229, feel that it has a more comfortable grip and trigger, and prefer it for actual shooting at the range. But the Glock 23 is much lighter in weight (about 24 ounces empty to 32 ounces for the Sig), so I prefer carrying the Glock. The Glock is also simpler, in that you don't have the DA/SA transition to master, and every shot has the same trigger pull. The Glock is also a little thinner in the slide and shorter overall than the Sig, so it conceals slightly easier.

I would say that if you have a very good, stiff belt and first rate holster, that carrying the Sig P229 is not a problem and it would be a good choice. But the Glock 23 is going to be slightly easier to conceal and less weight on your belt in all day carry.
    .XX likes this.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee
    If you had the choice, which would you buy/carry?
    I made my choice. I carry the P229. I used to carry a G23, but the grip really didn't work for me. and the trigger guard rubbed against my middle finger. I also couldn't get used to the idea of pulling the trigger to take down the gun. All it takes is one moment of forgetfulness and you have a recipe for disaster.

For me the P229 points more naturally, the grip architecture is more natural, and it handles the recoil better. The trigger is better too, it is easier to field strip, and there is the legendary SIG quality.

Sure, you can get more rounds in a G23, but statistics show that most gunfights are over in the first few rounds anyway. The Glock is less expensive (notice I didn't say cheaper), and that is why a lot of PDs issue them to their officers, not because of any perceived performance benefit.

All said, I think the G23 is a good quality gun, but weighing the differences, the SIG came out on top for me.

Besides all that, I've only seen Jack Bauer carry a Glock a couple times, and then only by getting it off of someone else.

Your friend should fire them both, plus take each one down and then reassemble them to see which one works better for him.

For example, I've seen lotsa guys go out and get their first 1911 (a style I love), but bugger them up really bad stripping and reassembling them then getting rid of them because they were just too much trouble. There is nothing worse than buying a really nice gun and then not being able to properly maintain it, but I've made some nice deals on buggered up 1911's.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Well, as the 229 will be my next purchase, it would seem thats another vote for Sig! The grip is the most natural i have felt for any pistol. But it's all a matter of personal prefference, and no one can make that choice for you. Tell your friend to hold both in his hand as see which feels best, both will shoot well, if they fit your hand properly. I also agree with the others in that you should see how easy it will be to clean before you purchase it... Now what cal. to get it in...(not that argument again!!!)
    -- Beware a man with many guns, he probably has an army, be more aware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it!

SIG!! They are both reliable but someone once told me: A glock is for the man that treats his gun like his lawnmower.
    cmb likes this.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Both are going to be very reliable good defense weapons. The best advice any of could give your friend is go to the gun shop and handle each of them. Than tell him to purchase the one that points the best and feels the best to him.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I own Several Glocks and one Sig. I shoot well with all of them. But I would go with the Glock if I had to choose. It is a very accurate, durable and reliable weapon. The Sig requires a little more care. Although both perform well, I think that the Glock is a better combat weapon.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Gosh... it would be hard to recomend one over the other. I sold my G-23 to buy my P-229. Like others, the grip angle of the Glock isn't as natural for me as the SIG.

If I could only carry a G-23, I wouldn't be too unhappy... I actually miss it!

If there's a range where your friend could try both that'd be perfect.

I know! Get him to buy the one YOU like the most. That way if he hates it, you can buy it from him at a good price!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

He really can't make a bad decision here. I used to have a Glock 26 and loved it. My only grip is that the grip is so square that it feels uncomfortable and my fingers feel cramped. It was my first pistol and I never had a problem with it. However, I sold it because I had the rare opportunity to buy a SIG 220 in mint condition for $550.

Now as good as the Glock was I love the Sig even more. I wished I could have kept the Glock, but I am a student and sometimes buying a new gun means selling another one. Just tell him to buy which ever gun feels better and points more naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckb
    SIG!! They are both reliable but someone once told me: A glock is for the man that treats his gun like his lawnmower.
    I like that.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Here's a funny observation, the very worst case of "barrel whip" I've ever encountered came from a Glock M23. I've now fired the Sig P229 in both the 40 and 357 Sig (thanks to forum member rocnerd) and I can say that the Sig (for me) has less felt recoil than the Glock and the Glock is supposed to have that great low bore axis. The Sig P229 is going to be my next semiauto purchase in the SAS. I've already ordered a revolver, though: A BullDog 44sp. Review will be posted when I get it.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

As previously stated, have him look at both, shoot both if possible, and pick the one that feels, points, and shoots the best for him. I love both guns. My Glock 23 points nicer for me but the Sig won out overall. Can't really make a wrong choice between the two.

I sold my G-23 and got a Sig P229. It has a more comfortable grip and I shoot it better. It's really nice with the .357 Sig barrel.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links