Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE - Page 6

Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LSP972 That has to be the understatement of the year. I'll give the Stigma a "bad wrap"... after having handled and shot ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    That has to be the understatement of the year.

I'll give the Stigma a "bad wrap"... after having handled and shot HUNDREDS of them. I work in a crime lab, and the Stigma is second only to the HiPoint as the street thug gun of choice around here (Baton Rouge, LA). I see up to a half dozen of them every week; sometimes more.

The Stigma is low-priced, and reliable. It also has one the most egregious triggers of any semi-auto pistol extant.

Like smolck stated... "there are better one's out there." And certainly you can find something better for $400. New Stigmas here go for $325, tops.

I'm glad you're happy with yours. But the fact is, the SW9VE and SW40VE pistols are bottom-tier.

That's not "hatin' "... that's the truth.

I paid $319 for mine, brand new. Even if it is a "bottom tier pistol," as you call it, it still performs quite well. Personally, I wanted a heavy trigger pull. 8-10 lbs is ideal for me, so it fit the bill. I have glock-like reliability for substantially less than a glock cost. The trigger is a little gritty at first, but some "fluff and buff" or even a few hundred dry fires smooths the trigger substantially.

Like others have said, it's stone cold reliable. I've probably crossed the 2,000 round mark without a single malfunction. The only thing I've ever done to it is clean it. Some people like the trigger, others don't. My advice is to try it for yourself and see how it feels.

Oh, btw, that was the understatement of LAST year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    My advice is to try it for yourself and see how it feels.
    I guess you missed the part where I stated I have shot hundreds of them.

I'm glad you like yours.

I just got back from the range. I shot 100 Win 115 FMJs and my Sigma 9 ate 'em up and hungry for more. I hit the 600 round mark and not one issue. For a $320 gun I really like it. My RO showed me the Sig P250c he put away for me. Felt good in my hand. Very nice and I can't wait to pay off the balance.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I wonder how the OP feels about his purchase now. Anyone know?

I guess you missed the part where I stated I have shot hundreds of them.

I'm glad you like yours.

I guess you missed the point there, eh? That statement was directed at a much broader audience than just you. I'm advising anyone looking at one to try it for themselves.

I'm also glad I like mine, and I'm astounded at the number of people that feel the need to bash a particular gun because it doesn't give them a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Guess I did. Your quoting my post confused me, I suppose.

But I too am astounded at the number of people who mistake constructive criticism for bashing. I said it was reliable. That aside, its trigger seriously limits what one can do with it, in terms of accurate shooting. I used to be astounded by the number of people who are focused on price as opposed to paying a few dollars more and getting something that is eminently more usable.

Then I started hanging out on internet forums...

If I had the sigma 40SW in my hand in a serious life or death incident, I would not feel undergunned or outgunned at all because it will go boom when called upon to do so. It is a great SD weapon.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    Me and my dad were looking through a gun store today and I saw a Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE. I LOVE IT. I was able to hold it and it felt perfect. It had a great price too, only $395 brand new. I'm almost 100% positive this is the gun I am going to carry once i get my LTCH in a few weeks. Anyone already carrying this gun, have experience with it, etc. ?
    I've had my 40VE for three years and some change. I put a pachmyr grip glove on mine which has the finger groves and it really fits my hand perfectly. Although it does not get shot much I would not be hesitant to use it in a home defense critcal incident.

Guess I did. Your quoting my post confused me, I suppose.

But I too am astounded at the number of people who mistake constructive criticism for bashing. I said it was reliable. That aside, its trigger seriously limits what one can do with it, in terms of accurate shooting. I used to be astounded by the number of people who are focused on price as opposed to paying a few dollars more and getting something that is eminently more usable.

Then I started hanging out on internet forums...

The trigger DOES NOT limit the gun. With proper trigger control, I can make one ragged hole in the target. IMO, it's an excellent gun for ANYONE wishing to further their skills. Learn to shoot the Sigma accurately and you can shoot just about anything.

Besides, the trigger was an intentional feature. The Sigma was designed as a SD gun. Being that it is a single action pistol with no external safeties, I'd argue that a light trigger would be a detriment to the gun. As for more expensive guns being "more usable," that's a typical fanboy argument. I'll put my Sigma up against a Glock any day. In fact, I shoot my Sigma just as well, if not better than my Glock.

It all boils down to personal preference. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's a bad gun. Every gun has people that like it and people that hate it. Take Glocks for example. Reliable as anything, but a lot of people HATE the grip. With the Sigma, it's the trigger.

I'll finish with this. For $319 I got an accurate, reliable, gun that points naturally, has 17 rounds of 9mm, and I KNOW nothing is going to put 8-10lbs of pressure on my trigger without me knowing it. I seem to recall a Glock snagging the trigger on a worn holster and shooting a guy in the butt. I don't have to worry about that.

I'll finish with this. For $319 I got an accurate, reliable, gun that points naturally, has 17 rounds of 9mm, and I KNOW nothing is going to put 8-10lbs of pressure on my trigger without me knowing it. I seem to recall a Glock snagging the trigger on a worn holster and shooting a guy in the butt. I don't have to worry about that.
    I love my Sigma 9, 500 rounds so far and no issues. Yesterday at the range I was practicing aim and fire, aim and fire, etc about a sec or sec/half apart (no rapid fire allowed there) and I heard the shooter in the next stall said, "This guy's shooting good!" Out of 100 rounds I had 95 in the chest area and 5 flyers at 25 feet.

I paid $320 for mine.

What I have never understood abt the pistol is what does sigma mean or stand for?
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I guess it's just a name, cool though.

It's a fine weapon. As I even stated in my opening introduction I carried daily a 9VE and actually alternate between said firearm and my newer M&P9c. I'll be honest though the sigma is taking a back seat more and more, but let's just say if I had to take it for any reason I wouldn't feel the least bit let down. It's another one of our HD pieces, as also mentioned, holstered console driving to the city type carry as well. I don't really understand the issue with long trigger complaints to be honest- it's a personal preference and comfort factor of what one person likes to feel over another. In my opinion really carries no weight on a complaint matter for the gun. Some guys like big leather sandals that look and wear like a full on hiking boot shoe with velcro straps all over them up to the ankle and think they're comfortable. That doesn't mean I would dare wear them or think they're comfortable, but it wouldn't give me the right to say it makes them "suck". To each their own in that regard.

The gun works great, shoots straight (another thing I don't understand that people argue) is the round going to just come out of a machined barrel crooked and lopsided? Can anyone shed light how on a full frame pistol can simply "not" be accurate out of the box? This eludes me.. ;) Now taking physics and distance into account, and the round.. sure I can see some math at work here.. But for self defense and plinking within -reasonable- distances, how does said pistol simply ship so inaccurately?

Anyway, have fun with it, I know you will. I went with the 9mm simply because of cost per round, solely. When you have some additional funds though you have to get yourself into trouble and handle a M&P9c or otherwise, M&P in general ;) Classy, just be ready to part with a few bucks that day.

-EDIT-

I had forgot to mention that I also removed the pigtail spring.. After while you may want to look into this as it will take quite a bit of pressure off of the weight of the trigger. Not a terrible amount to the point of half or more.. but it will absolutely make a difference. It will still be stiff, just not nearly as tough.. I did it just to see what kind of difference it would make as I had spare time one night and have just left it that way.

The trigger DOES NOT limit the gun.
    Wow.

If you're of the opinion that a 12-15# trigger is no more difficult to shoot accurately with than a 5-8# trigger, then there is no point in continuing this discussion.

Maybe you can make "one ragged hole" with your gun; taking your time and at very close distance: or perhaps you have cleaned the trigger up considerably. But its too bad we live at opposite ends of the country. I would wager large that you can't do it at speed ("combat shooting", from the holster or even low ready), with the trigger that is normal on every Sigma I've shot.

Wow.

If you're of the opinion that a 12-15# trigger is no more difficult to shoot accurately with than a 5-8# trigger, then there is no point in continuing this discussion.

Maybe you can make "one ragged hole" with your gun; taking your time and at very close distance: or perhaps you have cleaned the trigger up considerably. But its too bad we live at opposite ends of the country. I would wager large that you can't do it at speed ("combat shooting", from the holster or even low ready), with the trigger that is normal on every Sigma I've shot.

The trigger is NOT 12-15lbs. 8-10lbs tops. And no, I can't make a ragged hole while shooting "at speed," but I am definitely combat accurate. I can put all shots inside a 10" circle rapid fire, with the stock trigger, at 21 feet. It's called being competent with my weapon.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links