Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me and my dad were looking through a gun store today and I saw a Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE. I LOVE IT. I was ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE

Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE

Me and my dad were looking through a gun store today and I saw a Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE. I LOVE IT. I was able to hold it and it felt perfect. It had a great price too, only $395 brand new. I'm almost 100% positive this is the gun I am going to carry once i get my LTCH in a few weeks. Anyone already carrying this gun, have experience with it, etc. ?
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

2. Remove Ads

The sigma isn't the best pistol out there. The trigger pull is crapola and the gun isn't what you call "super accurate". The Smith and Wesson SD Series is in the same price range and a MUCH better weapon. Still not a great trigger but better than the Sigma. Personally, the M&P line is a huge step up and you can find them used for a decent price. Then again the Glock is always a great polymer pistol too.

Steer clear of the Sigma, you'll thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    Me and my dad were looking through a gun store today and I saw a Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE. I LOVE IT. I was able to hold it and it felt perfect. It had a great price too, only $395 brand new. I'm almost 100% positive this is the gun I am going to carry once i get my LTCH in a few weeks. Anyone already carrying this gun, have experience with it, etc. ?
    Pay no attention to the haters. The Sigma is an excellent gun. I have one and carry it daily. The trigger pull is kind of rough at first, but it smooths out pretty quick. Dry fire a few mags a day and you'll see a major improvement in about a week. It's still going to be a long hard pull, but that's there to keep the possibility of a ND as low as possible, since it IS a SAO gun with no external safety.

I do think the price is a tad high though. I picked mine up for $329 BNIB. I've seen people get them for under $300.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i guess i got lucky cause mine is 1st gen and so accurate i regularly use it for IDPA and pin & plate shoots.
    its a glock with a 1911 grip angle. for me it is a bit large for carry but is perfect for a house gun.
    good luck.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Well first i was considering a glock 30. So I was planning on spending about 250 bucks more than this gun costs, plus it being slimmer and more comfortable for me, I'm completely fine with spending $395. And now that I'm looking online I'm seeing them go for ~$300-$450. But that isn't a problem by any means. Thanks for the feedback.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Pay no attention to the haters. The Sigma is an excellent gun. I have one and carry it daily. The trigger pull is kind of rough at first, but it smooths out pretty quick. Dry fire a few mags a day and you'll see a major improvement in about a week. It's still going to be a long hard pull, but that's there to keep the possibility of a ND as low as possible, since it IS a SAO gun with no external safety.

I do think the price is a tad high though. I picked mine up for $329 BNIB. I've seen people get them for under $300.
    I am in a no way a hater. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him mine. I owned an SD40 and it is a lot like the Sigma, and I liked that gun. Just because you think the gun is great doesn't mean you are any more right than I am.

OP, the best thing you can do is find a range that rent's guns and shoot as many of them as you can. The Sigma is a reliable piece, but their are better one's out there. I wasn't hating, but rather giving you a different experience. At the end of the day only you can choose the "best gun" for YOU. Take your time, there will always be another gun out there.
    rickohio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I am in a no way a hater. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him mine. I owned an SD40 and it is a lot like the Sigma, and I liked that gun. Just because you think the gun is great doesn't mean you are any more right than I am.

OP, the best thing you can do is find a range that rent's guns and shoot as many of them as you can. The Sigma is a reliable piece, but their are better one's out there. I wasn't hating, but rather giving you a different experience. At the end of the day only you can choose the "best gun" for YOU. Take your time, there will always be another gun out there.
    I wasn't referring to you. That was a general statement aimed towards the plenty of people that give it a bad wrap without even handling one. With the Sigma, most people that like it before they shoot it, like it even more after putting a few rounds downrange. I've had zero malfunctions with mine, which is more than I can say about my experience with a G17.

It drew me in with it's low price and reliable function. I researched lower priced 9mm's for a few weeks, and then when I went to the local gun show, I saw one and bought it on the spot. I had never even shot one.

Bottom line is that if you handled it and it felt right, you'll probably love it. The trigger takes some getting used to, but I can punch out 3" groupings with mine all day.

I did a little research on World Small Arms Inventory, focusing on state Police/DPS/ HP issue handguns.

22 States issue GLOCK's

10 states issue S&W's, but none issue Sigma's. Are all 50 states just haters, or could that be a clue?

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    I did a little research on World Small Arms Inventory, focusing on state Police/DPS/ HP issue handguns.

22 States issue GLOCK's

10 states issue S&W's, but none issue Sigma's. Are all 50 states just haters, or could that be a clue?
    I realize this gun will not be the best possible gun I could buy (you get what you pay for) but the vast majority of reviews I have read make this sound like a pretty good gun. The main thing people complain about, if they even do, is the trigger. But for ~$300-$400, how comfortable the gun is, and with good reviews on reliability, I think this gun seems like a good buy. And if I ever want to spend like $600-$700+ on a top of the line gun I'll probably do that later.

Hey erick I have a sw40ve and its a great gun shoots accuratly functions just as reliable as a 600 dollar gun. was my first foray into the 40sw. wanted to try it but didnt want to sink alot of money into a gun that fires a round I may not like. ( heard all the stories about recoil} Trigger is like a revolver in DA mode doesnt bother me cause i shoot alot of revolvers and some have way longer trigger pull that hte sigma. I think you made a good purchace I love mine, now i dont carry ti cause it is a little large, but makes a great range and HD piece.. Bravo to you sir on and excellent purchase. And for those who bash the sigma,,and never shot one but tell peeps to go rent a gun, put your money where your mouth is.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post

22 States issue GLOCK's

There were several states that issued them when they were in their earlier generations. Unfortunately, they were fairly finicky and were quickly pulled from service. All of those problems are corrected with the current 3rd gen Sigmas. Also, they were recently adopted as the official sidearm of the Afghan Military. Plenty of guns aren't issued, yet a lot of those are very good guns. BTW, did you know that you can swap out the slide with one from a G19 and it would function fine. A clue, perhaps? Maybe that these guns are so similar to Glocks that S&W had to pay an undisclosed sum of money to continue manufacturing them. Nothing wrong with the Sigma. It's a perfectly capable weapon.

Besides, a state not issuing them is significantly different than a person (that has little to no experience with the actual weapon) blatantly bashing it for things that aren't actually a problem. It's definitely not top of the line, but I'd argue the same for Glocks. You want a top of the line gun, go buy a Colt or a Kimber. If you want an affordable, reliable weapon to bet your life on, the Sigma is a safe bet. I trust my life to mine daily, and don't give it a second thought. I have well over 500 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions. EVERY shot has been flawless.

If it fits you, get it. You won't be disappointed. Also, if you can get a 9mm barrel for it, that's all it takes to convert it. I've even heard of good results using the factory .40 mag when doing that. It's just an added perk if you ever get the desire to use cheaper ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1964 View Post
    And for those who bash the sigma,,and never shot one but tell peeps to go rent a gun, put your money where your mouth is.
    If you had READ his post you would know he didn't buy it yet so your "great purchase" comment is a little premature. Furthermore if you had read MY post you would see I said he needed to go rent and shoot as many guns as he can. What is great for one person isn't always great for another one. Are you honestly going to say that you never bought a gun that felt good at the store and then you ended up hating it at the range or selling it for some reason? All I am saying is the OP should exhaust all options BEFORE spending his hard earned cash.

And peeps are made of marshmellow and are found in Easter baskets.
    sid1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    If you had READ his post you would know he didn't buy it yet so your "great purchase" comment is a little premature. Furthermore if you had read MY post you would see I said he needed to go rent and shoot as many guns as he can. What is great for one person isn't always great for another one. Are you honestly going to say that you never bought a gun that felt good at the store and then you ended up hating it at the range or selling it for some reason? All I am saying is the OP should exhaust all options BEFORE spending his hard earned cash.

And peeps are made of marshmellow and are found in Easter baskets.
    Agreed. I'm just saying that if he likes it after handling it, he won't be disappointed. It's a great gun once you get past the few "issues," which he seems to acknowledge.

Oh, and blue peeps are the best.

S&w 40 ve

Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    I say look around for a better buy on the S&W.
    I got mine in Montana for $290 with two 14 shot mags.
    The trigger pull is just fine after a couple hundred rounds
    It regularly hits 3 1/2 in. groups at 30 feet.
    Quite good for self defense.
    Good price
    Good gun, eats any ammo.
    All kinds of opinions on this forum.
    Try to fire one first and make your own decision.
    Cattus Vir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Agreed. I'm just saying that if he likes it after handling it, he won't be disappointed. It's a great gun once you get past the few "issues," which he seems to acknowledge.

Oh, and blue peeps are the best.
    Hey, I will say this: of all the complaints I have read or heard on the Sigma, reliability isn't one of them. When you pull the trigger, they go bang. More than you can say for some guns out there.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links