Pocket pistols: Fad?

This is a discussion on Pocket pistols: Fad? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems that handguns are following an old trend we saw in cell phones years ago. Smaller is better. It is driving me nuts. Now that ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Pocket pistols: Fad?

Seems that handguns are following an old trend we saw in cell phones years ago. Smaller is better. It is driving me nuts. Now that the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy are all the craze (larger) I wonder when we will see that transition in PDC guns?

Anyone else think they are silly?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Nope. Since the invention of firearms, there's always been need and desire for pocket firearms. All we're seeing now is market and politically driven into their further development and design. Even though I'm not obsessed with them or even care that much about it, I don't find anything silly about it really. I view it a little like space exploration and war. It forces development in areas that can benefit the rest of us in other ways.
    Bark'n, Buckj, JOHNSMITH and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ejes View Post
    and politically driven into their further development and design.
    How so?

South Florida, a Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    WADR, ...
    Concealable pistols go back just a bit before electronic devices...

They are not going anywhere.

I had an LCP, but it just wasn't for me. If i come across a model I like I will jump back on the bandwagon. The only issue I have is I can carry my M&P with anything I wear. Even in summer with shorts and shirt it is hidden. Leaves few instances where it is really required. I'm sure a lot of people find it very helpful. I know i did at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    How so?
    CCW laws in many states have become much less restrictive, 9/11 and terrorism threats, the boarder wars here in the states, seemingly more press on firearms related incidents and unprovoked shootings and attacks on innocent citizens, a general uprising in the conservative movement in this country which promotes a "take care and protect yourself because the Government won't and shouldn't" attitude...the list goes on and on. Couple all that with the politically correct attitude this country has, the less obvious you are about carrying a firearm the better sometimes. Therefore, the smallest, most discreet, most powerful protection you can carry becomes very, very appealing to a great many people.

I carry a 1911 religously, and im not enfatuated with pocket pistols but having a backup on me can never hurt
    brylow likes this.

Small guns have been around since early in the last century. Vest guns were the predecessors carried in vest pockets. They were mostly .22 and .25. The only difference is the technology and materials enabling them to make larger calibers with lighter materials. It's somewhat the hot thing, but I don't see it fading away.

I am now shying away from subcompacts and towards larger handguns, but I still keep a few pocketable guns handy. I just discovered that with the proper gear, I can conceal large heavy handguns in shorts and a t-shirt.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Seems that handguns are following an old trend we saw in cell phones years ago. Smaller is better. It is driving me nuts. Now that the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy are all the craze (larger) I wonder when we will see that transition in PDC guns?

Anyone else think they are silly?
    I have a HTC Evo 4g, which is larger than both of those phones. :)

I don't get the pocket gun fad either. I get them as a back-up, but as a primary?
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

RKM
    Honestly, I don't like tiny handguns. They're not fun to shoot and very difficult to get VERY good accuracy out of them. But you can't argue with how easy they are to carry. Many people who are new to carrying or who aren't fully committed will probably look at they're full sized 1911 and think "ugh.. not today". When looking at an LCP, P3AT etc. it' easy to just grab and through in your pocket.

They may be becoming popular with people who have never carried before and are new to carrying because it makes it easy. And it seems more people are carrying now-a-days. They've always been around, just getting attention with the non-enthusiast group... people who carry solely for protection, but don't have firearms as a hobby.

I have my P3AT because it's impossible to easily conceal EVERYwhere. The P3AT makes this easy. I also carry it as a reload to my Glock 30 which is my preferred primary carry.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think what you're noticing is caused by the fact that concealed carry seems to be growing in popularity in recent years. There are now over 46,000 registered members at this forum alone. The market is responding by providing more and better options based on what consumers have been buying. I predict that new and better pocket guns will continue to be developed and refined over the next few years.

People want pocket guns because they are easily carried. That will be the case as long as clothing is made with pockets. Phones are getting bigger because they are soon destined to take over for daily computing tasks and a larger screen makes them easier to use.
    Diddle and Philly Boy like this.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    During much of the 19th Century, Derringers were all the rage for concealed carry for a long while.

Even President Lincoln was assassinated with a pocket pistol:

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post

People want pocket guns because they are easily carried. That will be the case as long as clothing is made with pockets. Phones are getting bigger because they are soon destined to take over for daily computing tasks and a larger screen makes them easier to use.
    Someone could do well by designing clothing that made it easier to conceal, without looking tactical, etc.

While I agree about the 'shrinking' of cell phones (it's the only thing that men brag about having the smallest one ), pockets guns have served an important purpose and will continue to fill a certain niche in society.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A fad. I hope not. I know I'll take the smallest, but most powerful pocket pistol any day over the (bulky, look at me, I'm carrying a gun) sidearm. It may be just me, but I take the CC acronym seriously. I don't what anyone knowing I'm carry a pistol while out and about; just us sheep out grazing, move along, move along.

If the pooh hits the fan, that's when the transformation takes place and the element of surprise has its best chance for success.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links