Deep conceal for ankle carry

This is a discussion on Deep conceal for ankle carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks, I am considering having to look for a new line of deep conceal carry options. I normally wear a smary carry w/ Sig ...

Thread: Deep conceal for ankle carry

Hey folks,

I am considering having to look for a new line of deep conceal carry options. I normally wear a smary carry w/ Sig 232. I am tired of getting jammed and I wear thin pants that when I sit down it looks like I have an even bigger package then I really have. If I wore jeans it would be ok, but these are like hospital pants as a uniform with a tie waist band. I have been hearing about ankle carry for awhile and always pooh poohed it because of my skinny legs. I would be open to it I guess, but I am unaware f any potential drawbacks.

Would those that do it be satisfied w/ Sig 232 or would I be better going for a S&W j-frame type revolver? I have been thinking of it for awhile, maybe trying the jframe in the smary carry small size so I am not hung like mule? Thougghts?

I'm a LEO and a respiratory therapist. When I work in the hospital I wear a j-frame in an ankle holster. Not the fastest rig in the world but it beats digging in pants for my piece if I need it. Unless you wear pegleg jeans or spandex you shouldn't have any trouble hiding your gun. Nobody looks at your ankles anyway. If you need it you drop to one knee, pull up your pant leg and draw your weapon, simple and relatively smooth/fast with practice.

With ankle carry you cannot get to your gun while moving - a serious issue in my mind. In your case, I'd either get a smaller gun for the Smartcarry, or get a pocket gun (assuming your pants wouldn't fall down - maybe use suspenders?). A LCP is light weight (12 oz loaded) - maybe that would work in scrubs pockets?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Maybe a quality belly band, ive used one before in a similar situation, and worn to the side it was easy to deal with

Thanks for the replies so far. I have had trouble with finding a way that works. I am a physical therapist and often find that I am on close proximity and at times in physical contact with people that limits the use of many holsters like belly band and pocket carry doesn't fly either. anything behind back in precluded due to lots of kneeling and bending over. Ankle seems viable option and for the most part, this is WTCHTF deal.

Ankle carry is a big no-no to me for the reasons that have been covered in many other threads. My favorite is "hey guy about to attack me, please wait while I kneel down and pull out this gun". It ain't like we can all do the Chris Tucker from "Rush Hour" thing.

I am a retired LEO also and currently work as a tech for a Doc. Wearing scrubs poses a problem so I carry a J frame or a PM9 in an ankle holster, given that, I have to agree with WC145. My biggest concern was to have the gun on me at all times and not have anyone see it. Since this is a low threat environment I feel that ankle carry is the best way under my work conditions. I have tried carrying a G26 but after 8hrs it starts to get heavy so I switched to the lighter guns. It's important to get a good comfortable holster, I have a Galco Ankle Glove for the S&W and a Renegade for the Kahr. The Renegade is more comfortable than the Galco in my opinion.

As a LEO of 20+ that has had to carry covert the majority of those years, I could type a very long list of advantages to ankle carry that many would not normally think of, or really agree with unless they were put in the positions where it worked. Finding the right holster and firearm combination is just as difficult as any other worn any other place, and just as specific to each person's preferences, usage and body type. There is no easy answer; there is only one gun/holster combination for each person that truly works. Problem is it takes several tries to find that combo generally.

In my experience, you want similar things as a strong hip carry; something that holds the gun securely and keeps the butt/grip as close to the leg as possible so that it does not flop around, and something that stays where you put it. Keeping an ankle holster "up" can be difficult; some come with additional straps to try to achieve that. If you have a heavy gun and muscular or thick calves, it will tend to want to slip down as far as it can to the foot because you can't put it above the calf muscle; it's too high. Since you say you have skinny legs, you might find it easier, you might not. If you are someone that casually crosses their legs, etc., you won't be so covert when that pant leg rides up. If you wear boots, that can help, but there's disadvantages to that, too.

One of my favorite combos was the old style Bianchi Ranger (not the new Triad) that had a long additional strap that went around the holster that held the gun in tight coupled with a Smith J frame with smooth Eagle Secret Service boot grips. Later, when the extreme lightweight J frames came out, I put those grips on one of those in a K.L. Null ankle holster and liked that as well. Those smooth grips help keep the pant leg from grabbing on the grip, such as with rubber grips, thus reducing printing.

Whatever you decide, practicing with an ankle holster consistently (drawing and dry-firing) in positions of crouched, prone and supine is an absolute must, IMO. Those are the positions you will find yourself in most often with one, especially if you use it as a BUG. My opinion is that it also needs to be worn on the inside of the off-hand side leg, and you need to practice drawing it with both hands. Practice with it in every conceivable position if possible; nothing is out of the question. If for nothing else, just to see what it would be like before it actually happens. For instance, I would often practice lying on my back with a heavy bag as if I had someone on top of me in a fight. Wrapping your legs around them helps control someone and puts that ankle gun up in a draw position. ;)

Ankle rigs will never be as fast as other carry options in in your normal, everyday, draw and shoot scenario. But, I've really never had a normal day on the job. And that's what ankle carry is for.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by ejes; May 30th, 2011 at 09:45 PM.

Under the circumstances, I think a j-frame with ankle holster is the way I would go if I were you. I wore scrubs for about 15 years; it should be fairly easy for you to draw, but you must practice.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

From time to time I wear my Glock 27 in a Galco ankle glove. Incredibly comfortable and very discreet. Mainly I wear it to family functions where I expect lots of hugging and close contact where the occasional "bump frisk" can occur. I also find it useful when I'll be sitting for long periods. Like any holster, practice makes perfect when it comes to drawing.

ejes, thats a great insightful post

Quote Originally Posted by ranastas View Post
    ejes, thats a great insightful post
    Thank you for that. I could go on and on (and have in conversations), but a forum in not really a place for that. "Just the facts, ma'am".

Sponsored Links