Beretta PX4 and racking the slide with the safety off...

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 and racking the slide with the safety off... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, so I've posted a few questions already regarding the PX4 and am seriously considering buying it. It will probably be mainly a range / ...

Thread: Beretta PX4 and racking the slide with the safety off...

Beretta PX4 and racking the slide with the safety off...

Alright, so I've posted a few questions already regarding the PX4 and am seriously considering buying it. It will probably be mainly a range / home defense / winter carry gun (have a Glock 23 for warmer weather).

I've shot it and liked the tame recoil and ergonomics. I personally like the way it looks and was able to shoot it well. There is just one issue that I'm not sure if it's me or if it's an issue for others, but the safety seems to dig into my hand whenever I rack the slide to chamber a round. This isn't really a deal breaker for me, given I don't really see myself racking the slide over and over again, but maybe there's a way to rack it without this problem?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Ads

Where on your hand is the safety digging into your hand? how are you grabbing the slide to rack it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'm grabbing behind the ejection port towards the rear of the gun. The safety seems to dig into my hand in the meaty area between my thumb-hand and pointer finger-hand joints.

Have you tried an overhand grip where the palm of your off hand is against one side, and then you curl your fingers over the top of the slide, the pretty much just squeeze, and rack.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    If the standard high profile safety levers are bothering you a lot, Beretta does make flush low profile levers for the PX4. For some odd reason, though, they only put these on their Law Enforcement G model of the gun.

But the low profile levers can be purchased from Beretta for $70, and can be installed by a gunsmith. A number of people have purchased this upgrade kit, and had their PX4 converted, primarily for this same exact issue that you are referring to here.

Beretta also has a new adjustable sight kit available for the PX4 too now. It costs $60, and can also be ordered direct from the online store at BerettaUSA.com Likewise, though, Beretta is not offering these pre-installed at the factory either. I'm going to order the new sights this week, though, because I really appreciate having fully adjustable sights on my handguns. And this new adjustable sight is just as low profile as the original factory fixed sight.

I might get the low profile safety levers too. Here are some photos showing how they compare with the standard safety levers:

Here is a view looking down at the low profile lever installed on a PX4 slightly from the side:

Here is a view from the rear, showing that they are almost flush with the slide:

And here is a view comparing a PX4 slide on the left with the standard levers, to one on the right that has the low profile levers installed:

It is really too bad that Beretta does not make these items options that can installed at the factory on a gun.

The other option available to you is to simply press down on the Slide Stop lever to release the slide. On many handguns these days, the Slide Stop is so tiny that doing this is not very feasible. The most notorious of these small slide stops is probably the one Glock handguns.

However, as one can see in the first photo above, the Slide Stop on the PX4 is designed so it can be a very effective Slide Release too. I certainly find it to be much faster and easier to release the slide on a loaded magazine that way. Certainly if I was to ever be in a gun fight and had to reload, I would release the slide to reload by pressing down on the Slide Stop lever, because I can do it much quicker that way.

Had the same problem, over and over. Finally got rid of it for my M&PC 9mm and am glad I did!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have eight 92s and a PX4. The safety isn't an issue once you train and get used to it.

Links