Smith E-Series 4.25" Commander

This is a discussion on Smith E-Series 4.25" Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the newest American Rifleman, I saw an ad for Smith's new E-series. The gun that really caught my attention was the Commander length, rounded ...

Thread: Smith E-Series 4.25" Commander

VIP Member

Smith E-Series 4.25" Commander

In the newest American Rifleman, I saw an ad for Smith's new E-series. The gun that really caught my attention was the Commander length, rounded butt, scandium framed model. Does anybody here have any experience with this model.

If it is not yet out, just ads, does anybody know when it will be released? This is an interesting lookin gun in all black. Thanks for any input.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I seriously considered purchasing that gun. I liked everything you have mentioned and also really liked [ducks and looks around] the external extractor. In the end I felt the gun was a bit over priced and purchased another brand.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I love this gun! the only thing I don't like so much is the external extractor. either way I am sure it will be a part of the 1911 collection very soon.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    ...I ...also really liked [ducks and looks around] the external extractor...
    1911 purists will disagree, but I think the external extractor is one of the best things that's happened to a 1911 along with the beavertail and 'commander' style hammer.

Kimber did a poor job with an external extractor, S&W did it right. I've used the external extractor in a couple of Caspian based 1911s I built and once I experienced one, I knew it was the right way to do it.

If done correctly, and I know Caspian did, and it looks like S&W did, the external extractor can be much more than the conventional internal. An external extractor NEVER needs tuning. If you want to top off your gun, you can drop a round in the chamber, lower the slide gently, press on the rear of the extractor and it lifts the extractor gently right over the rim of the case, then insert the full mag - couldn't be simpler, safer, or kinder to the gun.

Also, external extractors should be less sensitive to damage while practicing double feed drills.

I know they don't look as good, but they do more.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

JD
    Administrator
    The "E" Series features the "Pro Shop" external extractor which is slightly wider than the general external used by S&W and is reported to be more robust. Hilton Yam of 10-8 has been giving it good reviews after a couple of small changes that S&W is looking to incorporate into production.

I purchased the "E" series S&W from Buds several months ago for about $1050. I love the bob tail and the light weight of this commander and it shhots great. I was using a Kimber Ultra CDP before I bought this Commander, but no longer.
    A great gun at a good price.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwbgtb View Post
    I purchased the "E" series S&W from Buds several months ago for about $1050. I love the bob tail and the light weight of this commander and it shhots great. I was using a Kimber Ultra CDP before I bought this Commander, but no longer.
    Welcome to the forum, mwbgtb! I'd love to hear a more detailed range report? We're also big fans of pics here.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwbgtb View Post
    You got the scandium framed version? How does it shoot, i.e., how is the recoil?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Just got to handle one! S&W rep just stopped by the shop now I am even worse wanting than before! I hate waiting
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    You got the scandium framed version? How does it shoot, i.e., how is the recoil?
    Not sure how much difference there is, but I've been carrying the S&W 1911ES (commander barrel/officer grip) for about a year. The scandium frame does give a sharper kick than my all-steel 5" SA Loaded, but it's easily controllable and not uncomfortable at all. Just different.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

I read the 10-8 review of the E-Series, too. It seems like a really well thought out design.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I've been wanting an "E Series" S&W 1911 since I saw a picture of one a couple months ago in a magazine. Great looking & what I've heard great shooting too.
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    1911 purists will disagree, but I think the external extractor is one of the best things that's happened to a 1911 along with the beavertail and 'commander' style hammer.

Kimber did a poor job with an external extractor, S&W did it right. I've used the external extractor in a couple of Caspian based 1911s I built and once I experienced one, I knew it was the right way to do it.

If done correctly, and I know Caspian did, and it looks like S&W did, the external extractor can be much more than the conventional internal. An external extractor NEVER needs tuning. If you want to top off your gun, you can drop a round in the chamber, lower the slide gently, press on the rear of the extractor and it lifts the extractor gently right over the rim of the case, then insert the full mag - couldn't be simpler, safer, or kinder to the gun.

Also, external extractors should be less sensitive to damage while practicing double feed drills.

I know they don't look as good, but they do more.
    Other then S&W, others have failed with the external extractor.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    If you have a 1911 with an internal extractor you can opt for an aftermarket Millennium Extractor which is a fantastic time proved accessory.
    A bit on the expensive side though.
    In effect it gives you an Internal spring loaded External extractor.
    It needs to be installed correctly since the entire main body actually pivots on the the Firing Pin Stop.
    You need a tight fitting Firing Pin Stop that you'll need to bevel on the right side edge.
    A brilliant piece of engineering.
    It solves all extractor related issues.
    On the down side it is a PITA to initially install until you get the hang of it.

Addition: Really though with the aftermarket heavy duty machined from bar-stock extractors that are now available...once one of those is tuned they are good for thousands of rounds without any further tuning or adjustment.

BTW: ~ I LOVE EGW Parts but, the only Evolution Gun Works part that I would run away from is their extractor. It sucks.

Links