Springfield Armory EMP 9mm range report with Pics

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory EMP 9mm range report with Pics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Range Report: Springfield EMP 9mm Well, I finally got to shoot my EMP at the range. Went through 250 rounds of federal 115gr ammo before ...

Thread: Springfield Armory EMP 9mm range report with Pics

Springfield Armory EMP 9mm range report with Pics

Range Report: Springfield EMP 9mm

Well, I finally got to shoot my EMP at the range. Went through 250 rounds of federal 115gr ammo before I had to go home. I know that's not a significant amount of rounds, but I thought I'd give my initial impressions. Overall, I am pleased with the gun.

Fit and finish is excellent. It feels like a high quality piece. (as well it should be, for the price) It locks up nice and tight and there is not any noticeable slop between the slide and frame. The tritium sights do their part well, and the G10 grips are the perfect compromise between texture, grip, and thickness. I was afraid they would be too sharp but they are just right.

Not sure what the "break-in" count is supposed to be round wise, but I had 3 failure to feeds in the first 3 mags. It was the in the middle of each mag. After that, no more hiccups for the next 225 rounds. The 3 times that it did FTF, it looked like the nose of the round got hung up on the feed ramp? After that, it ran like a sewing machine.

Also, SA lists this gun as having a capacity of 9+1? I can get 9 rounds in the mag, but I can't put it in the gun with one in the chamber. It seems too tight a fit and I can't jamb the mag all the way in... Not sure if the mag spring is supposed to loosen up or what? I ended up running 8+1 on all my loads.

(**edit** I later was able to load 9+1, but I had to smack the bottom of the mag up pretty hard? Can any other EMP owners comment on this?)

Ergonomically and function wise, it feels great in my hand just like all other 1911's however the grip is noticeably smaller in width. The trigger is listed as 5-6 lbs. on the SA website. This is fine on a defense pistol, but I may have it tuned to 3.5-4lbs. We shall see. It has a small bit of take up and a very short reset. Nice crisp trigger out of the box.

Accuracy wise, this little pistol is pretty sick! I put up some quarter sized shoot-n-c dots and had no problem hitting them at 7 yards. The pistol is also a very soft shooter. Recoil is almost non existent for me. Definitely the softest shooting gun with a 3" barrel that I own.

I hope to get some more rounds down range soon and then test out feeding of different hollow points.

couple targets from today:

Loaded one mag with 9 rounds @ 7 yards...

2 more mags in the center and 2 new pasties...

and of course a pic of the EMP with her big brother.

2. Remove Ads

If you get a chance see if your 9mm EMP will work reliably with WWB. I have one and it does not like it. Other people have reported problems with WWB also. One of these days I will send it in to SA to have them repair it. Let us know. God BLess

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    If you get a chance see if your 9mm EMP will work reliably with WWB. I have one and it does not like it. Other people have reported problems with WWB also. One of these days I will send it in to SA to have them repair it. Let us know. God BLess
    Sure thing, I will try it out next time i'm at the range. Do you have any problems loading 9+1 in your EMP?

Been wanting an EMP, will keep an eye on this thread (and others)...

Very nice, I am also looking into getting one. And will do some lurking here.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

I just took mine to the range last week to break it in-100 rds 115 gr. Federal fmj (Walmart). The only issue I had was the slide didn't lock back on the 1st mag- after that they all shot fine. I will probably go tomorrow and run another 100-150 through it. I did have to paint the front sight white ( around the night sight) so I could see it better- I wish they would outline the tritium sights in white instead of silver.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I had the same problem in my Smith 76 with WWB 9mm. Not enough oomph to push the bolt back far enough to eject the spent casing and of course a jam would follow when the gun tried to chamber the next round.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Anyone looking for EMP factory mags? The springfield armory website has them on sale for $17.85 right now, which is cheaper than the loaded coupon! =)

The only EMP I shot , We used 124gh NATO & it ran great PS Congrats on the new springer ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

You're going to love your emp.
    And if it's a little 'sticky', don't be afraid to send it to Springfield. They'll give it a custom go-through.
    It come back 'purring'.
    (And thanks for the heads up on those mags Trust. That's a great price.)
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    Sure thing, I will try it out next time i'm at the range. Do you have any problems loading 9+1 in your EMP?
    I have a lot of trouble loading 9 + 1 in my emp's. If I hit the mag hard enough to jam it into the gun, the heel of my hand hurts for days. No problem getting the rounds into the mags, but getting the mags into the gun is impossible for me without severe pain. I thought I was just too weak to do it (being a girl and all -- wink, wink). ;-)
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

Congrats on the EMP, I got mine a few weeks ago and love it. I've had no feed issues with FMJ in about 300 rounds but have experienced significant feed problems with HP rounds ( see my initial thread HERE). I spoke to SA customer service this week and they were very friendly. I'm going to try a few other loads this week but will probably send it back to them to be looked at as I don't think it should be quite so picky on rounds.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Links