Para Ordnance LDA??

Para Ordnance LDA??

This is a discussion on Para Ordnance LDA?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at the Colt New Agent DAO due to be shipped sometime in July and anxious to handle it. Until then I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para Ordnance LDA??

Para Ordnance LDA??

I have been looking at the Colt New Agent DAO due to be shipped sometime in July and anxious to handle it. Until then I have also been considering the Para Ord Carry LDA and PXT LDA all in 45 acp. I believe that they are all in the same price range.

I am looking for a DA 45 and would appreciate any feedback in regards to reliablilty, preference, etc.

JD
    Administrator
    I've had a couple of Para LDAs, they worked OK, but most people don't like the fact that's it's DAO WITH a thumb safety.

The Colt DAOs have no thumb safety, lately Para's been taking hits on their QC. Their Parakote finish is crap, so if you do go the Para route, I'd suggest getting a stainless gun.

1911s are the king of single action .45 autos, in terms of .45 DAOs, I'd probably opt for a Sig 220 DAK.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    ...The Colt DAOs have no thumb safety, lately Para's been taking hits on their QC. Their Parakote finish is crap, so if you do go the Para route, I'd suggest getting a stainless gun.
    I recall seeing something on TV a year or two ago where their President basically admitted that Parakote was crap, but they had a new wiz-bang formula that they were going to come out with... Apparently I must have dreamed the whole thing?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I recall seeing something on TV a year or two ago where their President basically admitted that Parakote was crap, but they had a new wiz-bang formula that they were going to come out with... Apparently I must have dreamed the whole thing?
    Looking at recent owner/user feedback it hasn't happened yet, if they changed it, good on 'em but I haven't seen anything stating that the change was made.

I am carrying a C6.45 LDA Para as I type this. It is stainless, so I have not had to face the dreaded Parakote problem. I love the little devil, and I appreciate the safety with the LDA action. The LDA action also allows you to "stage'' the trigger so it only takes a slight pressure to let off the round. I agree that you don't need the safety, but sweeping the safety is second nature to me, and I even do it on Glocks!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I would have to 2nd JDs opinion and suggest a Sig 220, I have several and they just plain can not be beat.

I carry a Para .45 LDA CW in Stainless. I use to carry a Sig 220. I love the Para. Very good gun, excellent shooter and I've never had an issue with it. I like the thumb safety as well as it basically is the same action to remove it as I use on my old Colt 1911 which I also carry occasionally.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefrcd View Post
    I carry a Para .45 LDA CW in Stainless. I use to carry a Sig 220. I love the Para. Very good gun, excellent shooter and I've never had an issue with it. I like the thumb safety as well as it basically is the same action to remove it as I use on my old Colt 1911 which I also carry occasionally.
    That was one of the models I had, nice gun but I hated the abbreviated tang of the grip safety, wasn't very comfy for long range sessions. The "graptor" or "griptor" grasping grooves on the front strap of some of the newer guns was a bad idea IMHO, looks like you got a good fix for that with the CTs.

The Para LDA is a pretty smooth trigger. Not Kahr smooth, but close. The Para's are great shooters, and are very reliable. I've only put a hundred or so rounds through my buddies .45, but he's put truckloads through it with no problems. Make sure you get the stainless though, as the Para finish sucks. It'll look like hell after a short period of time unless you get the stainless.

I field stripped one of the LDA models one day at the gunshop just out of curiosity. I saw that a good bit of the right hand frame rail is removed to make room for the trigger bar that the LDA system requires. Seems like a step back in the strength department to me. But the LDA trigger does work good on the range, though.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I had bad luck with my Carry LDA 45. I had to send it back 3 times and they never could get it to be reliable. I sent a e-mail on how disappointed I was that in almost a years time they could not fix my gun. They said they would replace it with a new gun. Well that's what they said but, it has been 2 months, I sent my old gun, I have no gun. If I ever get the new gun I may just get rid of it as a brand new un-fired gun so I don't have to go through this again. MY FIRST AND LAST PARA !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I had bad luck with my Carry LDA 45. I had to send it back 3 times and they never could get it to be reliable. I sent a e-mail on how disappointed I was that in almost a years time they could not fix my gun. They said they would replace it with a new gun. Well that's what they said but, it has been 2 months, I sent my old gun, I have no gun. If I ever get the new gun I may just get rid of it as a brand new un-fired gun so I don't have to go through this again. MY FIRST AND LAST PARA !!!!
    Was it an older model or a newer one? I have heard that the older ones were better???

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have both a Para C6 and C7. IMO the DA pull is superb. I usually carry with the safety off and it hasn't presented any kind of problem. Both guns are stainless, so the finish hasn't been a problem. In fact the workmanship is quite good. When I was an LEO I carried a Para P-14. It's SA, but was totally reliable. I also owned a P-12 for off duty. All my guns were made when Para was in Canada, so any QC problems haven't shown up in my pistols.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by gunnitt View Post
    I would have to 2nd JDs opinion and suggest a Sig 220, I have several and they just plain can not be beat.
    Does Sig make a 45 acp DAk with a 3-3 1/2" barrel?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceF View Post
    Does Sig make a 45 acp DAk with a 3-3 1/2" barrel?
    The 220carryDAK is 3.9" pretty close. The 220 compact is currently not listed in DAK.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links