Advice needed on Concealed Carry Gun - Bodyguard 380 v. Beretta PX4sc?

This is a discussion on Advice needed on Concealed Carry Gun - Bodyguard 380 v. Beretta PX4sc? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm brand new to DC and I have to say there are some excellent treads on here. Thanks to all who have helped ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on Concealed Carry Gun - Bodyguard 380 v. Beretta PX4sc?

JL [OP]

Hi all,

I'm brand new to DC and I have to say there are some excellent treads on here. Thanks to all who have helped educate me on all things gun.

I am the long time gun owner of a Beretta 92F and a Taurus Model 66 .357, which I have maintained for home defense. I love my 92F, but I am now looking for the right small CC piece. The frontrunners are the S&W Bodyguard 380 or the Beretta PX4sc. I have handled both in the store (as well as the PX4 Compact) and they both feel great in my hands.

A colleague recently acquired the BG 380, so I will have an opportunity to testfire that one. Stores with ranges in my area are limited, so I think it is unlikely I will be able to rent the PX4sc, but I plan to check.

I understand both sides of the .380 v Bigger argument for carry. I'm more interested in hearing your experiences with both weapons to help me decide.

Thanks much,

Joe

Hi Joe,
    I have a BG380 that's been tuned upa nd has none of the problems you will read about on the 380 forum. It is a very nice gun to carry and can be easily kept in an under arm, ankle, pocket, IWB or even OWB holster very comfortably and well concealed. I find it to be exremely accurate with it's fixed sights. If you are in a situation where you can use the laser (not in bright light) it is even easier to get the rounds on target. However, I prefer the 9mm round to the short 9 (i.e. = .380) so I have put my BG380 up for sale. I have two excellent custom holsters to go with it and about 500 rounds of 380 ammo including some JHP rounds. Try firing one and do not be put off by the long trigger pull. It takes a little getting used to but is definitely a nice gun that is very accurate.
    check out pictrure and post: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ts-extras.html

JL [OP]
    Thanks for the advice, DoctorBob. I hope to get some more feedback as I am really leaning towards the Beretta at this point.

I bought a BG 380 a few months back and have been regretting it.

I find the trigger pull to be awkward and the gun not very accurate in general. I still carry it if I am walking the dogs since it's light and can easily be placed in my pocket.

There are better ones out there so I'd say stay away.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

Just my 2 cents, but if you were looking for something thats a pocket gun or need something smaller then the BG is the one of the two selections, but for overall concealed carry, and since your familiar with the beretta platform already, I would select the added 9mm punch and go with the PX4sc.

The BG is more of a hide out gun. You can always have it on you. The Beretta not so much. Which are you looking for?

I always have my 380 on me. My Glock 26 doesn't conceal well enough for many occasions. So it tends to stay home more.
    Question Everything!

I would say you will carry the Body Guard more, the Beretta is going to take more to conceal, I have a Kahr PM9 and a Ruger LCP, I carry the LCP more often than the PM9 do to ease of carry. I also have a S&W 642 and carry it in the colder months with a clip draw in the appendix position in the waist band.

I am waiting on two Remora holsters for the PM9 and LCP, you should take a look at one for the Beretta it might help you make up your mind. They only cost $25 and can be carried in multiple areas IWB.

I have a PX4 subcompact. It conceals well (a little bit wide), there have been no problems with feeding any kind of ammo, and it holds a lot of rounds in a small package. For some reason I do not shoot it that well but it is very accurate. My son can get really good groups out of it. I also have a LCP that I carry when I need something really small. You are going to have to decide if you want something you can always conceal with ease or something with more "firepower" that you will have to work to conceal sometimes.

JL [OP]
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been thinking about this quite a bit, and something I am more likely to always have with me in a deep conceal or not seems to make more sense for my situation. I can always carry up if need be, and I will likely do so in the cooler months. I'd love to hear recommendations for around the same size and concealability as the BG 380. I do not care for the feel of the LCP in my hands.

I have been looking closely at the Remora holster and I am very impressed of the pictures I have seen with the BG380 in it. Does anyone know how smaller mags (like the BG 380's) fit in the Remore double mag pouch? I'd hate for them to swimming in there.

Thanks!

The PX4 is an outstanding gun. Yet, as mentioned above, it is thick and I found myself carrying it less and less due to it's size.
    My BG on the other hand is so small it goes with me everywhere. Pocket carry with a holster and you forget you are even carrying it. I still have options with my other guns but that little BG slips right into my pocket and comes in handy when larger choices aren't an option.

The bodyguard is always on you. Kinda nice that way. Mines had 0 flaws.

Well I jut got a bodyguard .380 and I carry it on the inside of my pants on the left side but I'm right handed so what I did is bought a right handed holster and I put it on the left side so it is easy to get out if I have to. here is some pictures of my gun,holster,and how I carry it works well. Just remember when you see how I carry it. It's on the left side of me under my shirt. It can also work the other way for if you are left handed just buy a left handed holster work great easy to grab.

The BG is a nice pistol and with a built in laser and a good price make it more advantageous. Since no one has mentioned have you considered the Ruger LC9? Similar footprint but a little more kick.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've come to the conclusion that most thugs and criminals don't carry little pocket pistols like an LCP or BG380. I know the mantra "the .380 in your pocket is better than the .45 at home", but I try to carry a 9mm whenever I can.

I started concealed carry in earnest about 3 years ago with an LCP. About 2 years ago I got a PM9. About 9 months ago a G26. I carry the PM9 roughly 75% with the G26 and LCP splitting the other time, depending on attire and circumstance. Yes, the LCP is easiest to carry and the G26 toughest, though it would be my 1st choice if the shtf.

A slim 9mm such as PM or CW9, PF9, PPS, LC9 would be my advice for a very easily concealable 9mm. One that you'll always have with you. If you can live with the bulk of the PX4, that's great because it is a fine firearm. Good luck in your decision!
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Bersa Thunder Plus!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links