Diamondback DB9

Diamondback DB9

This is a discussion on Diamondback DB9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just saw this review over on Gunblast.com Diamondback Firearms DB9 9x19mm Semi-Automatic Pocket Pistol Apparently the DB9 should be hitting shelves soon. Without all the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Diamondback DB9

Diamondback DB9

Just saw this review over on Gunblast.com

Diamondback Firearms DB9 9x19mm Semi-Automatic Pocket Pistol

Apparently the DB9 should be hitting shelves soon.

Without all the safeties it may be the pocket 9 many are looking for. It looks to be smaller than an LC9 or PF9. At 12.7 ounces it would probably be a handfull to shoot.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I've shot the DB380 and have really been thinking about getting one. I may have to wait for the DB9 and check it out before making a decision. I can't believe they got the 9 into essentially the same size package. The size difference between the two is so minimal this would definitely fit in the pocket easily. Other so called "pocket 9's" are just a touch too big for non-pleated pants in my experience. This could be the first true pocket 9 under $1000.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

This is actually something I'm looking at as well. If they make in stainless or nickel, I'm sold.

Administrator
    I hope the QC is a lot better than the 380.
    joker1 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What's with the diamond checkering on the grip? I know its just aesthetic, and shouldn't really matter, but man...that's unappealing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Looks like a nice gun, but according to the specs it is just a hair smaller than my Keltec PF9 weighs the same but only 6+1 whereas my Keltec is a 7+1. I will just keep my Keltec God Bless

The LC9 is too big so if this is truly small they will sell them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Almost what I've been looking for, but I'll need to give it a several months of field testing and improvements before I bite. Hopefully by then GLOCK will wake up and make a single stack pocket 9.
    crzy4guns likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Yeah, quality control and time will tell if this is a good pistol or not.

In the review it was finicky with non-premium ammo. I personally want to carry with premium ammo but try to save some money and be able to fire standard range ammo like Blazer, WWB etc while target shooting/practicing. I have also read that the Kimber Solo must run on at least 124 gr and it won't function reliably on 115 gr or cheaper ammo.

I really don't see a DB9 in my future. I already have an LC9 and it has functioned great for me. 770 rounds through it with only one malfunction early on. The DB9 looks to have some promise but at the size and weight I think it is really going to be a high recoil pistol that may be harder to control.

Like Joker1 wrote, how long will it be if ever when Glock figures it out and makes their own single stack 9? A true pocket 9 made by Glock would sell like crazy.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Moderator
    If that 9mm is anything like the .380, then I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I thought about waiting for one, but it won't take +P ammo, nor does it lock the slide open when empty. I ended up with another Kahr PM9, via their instructor sales program. I'd look at a CM9 instead of the DB9. It's actually smaller, though a few ounces heavier.

PM9/CM9 5.4 x 4
    DB9 5.6 x 4
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I was very excited to buy one. I have a DB380 currently. The company is wonderful, and they're a medium/small FL-based business. Great customer service as well.

My DB380 is finicky. It's caused me a good amount of stress. Currently, it seems to be reliable with Blazer CCI, but overall, it tends to be picky. Problem is, I am not comfortable with a pistol that is reliable with only very few types of ammunition. I know some people are, and that is fine, but for me, I just don't find that acceptable.

To be honest, I kind of chickened out from the DB9 - especially with Jeff's comment about the "non-premium" ammo thing. I am not saying DB should blame Jeff for my decision, but rather that what he said kind of makes sense. The DB9 is very small, and with such a small pistol, a weaker recoil spring is almost certain to batter the frame excessively. DB has stated they've tested the DB9 with a "wide variety" of ammo and it has come out fine. I'm inclined to believe them, but I just didn't want to take the chance, being an early adopter and all. I don't have Jeff's ammo budget (or perhaps sponsorships); I can't afford to spend $30+ for a mere 20 rounds. Sorry DB. I feel bad for leaving you guys.

In the end, I happened to see the Kahr CM9. It seems to be similar in dimensions to the DB9, except for thickness and weight (big considerations when pocket carrying, to be honest). But I decided that ultimately, I just didn't want the kind of stress I felt with my DB380 anymore. I want a pistol I could genuinely enjoy and not have to always worry about. So I bought a CM9. It should arrive at my FFL on Monday. It cost more, but I think that it was worth it. I just hope it isn't too bulky for pocket carry in my dress slacks and khaki pants. I am also concerned about the feeding thing... I don't know whether one can successfully clear a malfunction from the CM9, or whether the feed thing applies only to the first round.

The DB is also much higher fit and finish than the P3AT and LCP, and for the 9, the PF9. However, obviously, at its price point, it probably won't be as good as the Kahr. I kind of decided it was time to "graduate" to a pistol with better fit and finish.

The slide lock is also quite nice. Clearing double feeds from my DB380 was doubly difficult with no way to lock back the slide. I had to get creative, since I lack a third arm and hand. But man, is the DB9 thin!! The DB380 is also a really sweet shooter (when you use an ammo it likes), especially compared to how other people describe their 380 pocket pistols.

Also, the DB9 can take +P (it is rated for +P), but DB does not recommend you feed it a steady diet of +P. They have no issues with you shooting the regular pressure stuff at the range, and carrying +P as your carry ammo. You could probably shoot a couple of boxes of +P a year, but anymore than that and you'll just be excessively battering the tiny gun. So yea, if you prefer shooting the NATO or +P stuff all the time, the DB9 isn't for you, unfortunately. I think that's just a physics issue. Maybe when polymers and metals advance a bit more (at a cheaper price point), we'll see something similar in size and weight to the DB9 that can handle extra pressure rounds.

I have heard the recoil of the DB9 described as being similar to .380 in a LCP or P3AT. One other person on diamondbacktalk described it as similar to a subcompact .40.

Anyway, I truly hope DB succeeds on this front, but as for me, I'm out of the DB family for now... well, until I sell my 380. But hey, my DB380 was a big learning experience for me, so I don't consider it time lost.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Also, the DB9 can take +P (it is rated for +P), but DB does not recommend you feed it a steady diet of +P. They have no issues with you shooting the regular pressure stuff at the range, and carrying +P as your carry ammo. You could probably shoot a couple of boxes of +P a year, but anymore than that and you'll just be excessively battering the tiny gun. So yea, if you prefer shooting the NATO or +P stuff all the time, the DB9 isn't for you, unfortunately. I think that's just a physics issue. Maybe when polymers and metals advance a bit more (at a cheaper price point), we'll see something similar in size and weight to the DB9 that can handle extra pressure rounds.
    Do you have a source for this? I called Diamondback and spoke to them directly - they told me no +P.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Here are two posts I could find on the topic:

DiamondbackTalk.com » View topic - DB9 abuse test results

DiamondbackTalk.com » View topic - Best SD Ammo for DB9????

Take that FWIW.

I guess the real story is that it can handle very occasional +P, but as a CYA, they probably will tell you "no" if you ask them directly. I guess that makes sense as the average user is fairly binary (yes/no) when it comes to these questions. Most of us here are a bit more flexible.

My main concern is that there seem to be a good amount of practice ammo out there that is NATO pressure, but you can't see that unless you examine the boxes. Buying online, oftentimes that is impossible.

Well, seeing as that info comes from their sales manager - I will take it with a healthy dose of salt.

The issue I see is that you will need to run a few boxes of your +P defensive ammo through it to ensure reliability, and he seems to say that doing so could void your warranty.

The bottom line is that the CM9 is only a bit more money, smaller, only a hair wider, only a few ounces heavier, and it will take +P and lock the slide open when empty.

I had high hopes for the DB9 - I would really like to see someone give Kahr a run for their money. But for now, I have to give Kahr their due. My latest PM9 won't run with the 7-rd mag, but works just fine with the 6-rd mag. I don't see a reason to get a DB9 instead of a CM9 or PM9.
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links