H&K P2000SK...who owns one?

This is a discussion on H&K P2000SK...who owns one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have asked this question on the H&K fourum but, let's be honest, if you are a member of the H&K fourum, you are most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&K P2000SK...who owns one?

H&K P2000SK...who owns one?

I have asked this question on the H&K fourum but, let's be honest, if you are a member of the H&K fourum, you are most likely a big fan of H&K guns. So, it just might be possible that all I would get from that board are favorable reviews.

Well, I want some slightly more unbiased opinions. So, I'll ask the fine members of this fourum.

I am interested in the H&K P2000SK (the compact version of the P2000) after reading several articles about the gun. It looks very ergonomic to me and I would like to hear from any owners out there. I especially am interested in the LEM trigger.

So any one out there own one or have shot one, or the P2000 either? I have not even held one, I am in the early stages of what my wife calls G.A.S. for this gun.
    Gun
    Acquisition
    Syndrome
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Wow.....no one has one of these guns or has shot one?

Wonder what that says about it.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hi PT-111, I have been breaking in a P2000 9MM in the LEM Mode which will be my primary carry gun. I special ordered it after trying out the SK model which did not fit my hand good. It is the full size model, which is a hair larger then the USP Compact. I've put about 400 rounds throught it so far using UMC, Magtech and Federal Hydro-Shock. I'm mixing up manufacturers purposely. It has shot flawlessly so far. I love the lighter DA Trigger, although it is taking some getting use too. My groupings got much smaller with the LEM mode. I've learned to feel the trigger reset to shoot the next round without releasing the trigger all the way. The recoil feels minor, which is an important feature for me since my right wrist was crushed and I have a 6" titanium plate now in my right hand. This one of the few guns that fit my hand perfectly due to my injury. The grip is excellent, has friendly checkering and I installed the small backstrap. The interchangeable backstraps was one of the main selling features for me. It feels balanced with a loaded magazine. It holsters very smoothly and I'm using an Alessi CQC holster. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Wow, thatks Kelsey. I appreciate your tsking the time to post that.

I am going to hunt one down pretty soon and actually hold one of each and see which one fits my hand better. I suspect the sk will fit me a little better as I have hands that are a little smaller than average.

Thanks again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Morning PT-111, When you find one, have the salesperson change the backstrap to the size that fits your hand before you make a final decision. I had to ask him to do it. He did not seem to want to take the time. I forgot to mention that I special ordered it with tritium sights. Well worth the extra cost. Please let me know what you think after you find one. I would like know. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111
    Wow, thatks Kelsey. I appreciate your tsking the time to post that.

I am going to hunt one down pretty soon and actually hold one of each and see which one fits my hand better. I suspect the sk will fit me a little better as I have hands that are a little smaller than average.

Thanks again.
    Guns and Ammo in Memphis TN has all of them in stock. I was just fondling them this morning.

3sh
    I'm really interested in this gun as well.

My primary carry is a H&K P2000sk V3 (SA/DA) and I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. I have carried glocks to 1911's and I like the 2000sk the best. I have never had any problems with mine and it tucks away very easily in my IWB holster. The only drawback that I have found is that lasermax nor crimsontrace make laser sights for it. Not a big deal but the lasers are useful for the intimidation factor and quick acquisition in a stressful situation.

I have one, love it. It's only a little bit bigger than a G26 and I find it much more comfortable in my hand. It's very accurate and points more natural than my G26 to me.
    I like the mag release, but some people don't like the European type mag release.
    I have had one failure in about 500 rounds and it was one of the first shots fired, my theory is that there was some crap stuck on the case that prevented it from loading properly (it was reloaded ammo as well)
    I did the trigger job on it as seen on the HK forum and the trigger is pretty sweet (LEM) it's smooth and breaks clean, reset is not bad, but it takes a little getting used to if you are used to single action.

I was considering a G19 vs the P2000 full size for my next pistol with the idea of EDC eventually. (I admit I have very bad technique atm and do not plan to EDC until after a few months of weekly training- I'm a once per every-other month, weekend shooter atm.) I rented both pistols today at lunch and put 300 rnds out between the two. My wife joined me as she was considering the G19 for herself. (nice lunch break!) I'm a lefty, my wife is a righty.

They are virtually the same size, although the H&K seems a bit bulkier on top. I found the mag release a bit tight until I started using my middle finger to drop it, then it was easy. The magazine is a bit slower to slap back in vs the glock (which has a somewhat tapered magwell) but after a few practice runs in an empty lane I found I could do it pretty quickly if I tipped the magazine in from the rear to keep it from catching on the cut-outs on the sides of the handle.

The slide release is absoultely fantastic, crisp and light. It engaged every time I wanted it to without fumbling. The trigger was like night and day vs these two pistols. The LEM on the H&K is a long light pull with a sharp break at the end and a short reset. I found myself not releasing the trigger fully between rounds, but keeping it halfway out like I do with my DA/SA Beretta Cougar 8040. You know what the Glock trigger is like- think about shooting and it fires. I have to admit I liked that a lot but It seemed a bit touchy to me, and reminded my of my oversensitive target 1911.

Recoil was comparable between the two, with the H&K having less rearward kick and experiencing more flip. Once I tightened up my grip a bit more I had no trouble keeping that to a minimum. I was able to regain sight picture much faster with the stock H&K sights over the stock G19 sights. I was surprised to hear that the H&K is noticeably louder than the Glock, firing the same American Eagle ammo. (with proper ear protection on)

Overall, I had tight groups with the Glock but I found I couldn't hit what I was aiming at. I just hated the grips (fignger sdon't fit the grooves) and it seems that I had to place the barrel over my target to hit, the sights were useless to me- very point and click if that makes sense. With the H&K I had a few strays (probably my poor technique again), but I found the sights to be better and I felt that I was hitting more at what I was aiming at. I should also add that I'm accustomed to a 1911, so I think that had something to do with it.

I went into this really, really wanting to like the Glock, but finding the P2000 more to my taste- much to my wallet's protests. I don't really buy the stuff about H&K's being "far" superior to the Glock. I think the Glock is a darm fine handgun, I just didn't really like it. Dispite being polymer the P2000 felt very solid, like a weapon should. I am currently looking for one that I can afford, (sub $750 would be nice) and left shaking my head in disappoitment at the Glocks. The grip is really what sold me on the H&K. It just feels so comfortable in the hand, very natural with no stupid grooves or pointy bits. My pinky rests comfortably on the lip of the magazine and there is no pinching under the trigger guard like I felt with the Glock. I've held the SK version and did not like the way my finger is left dangling so I'm going for the full size since I don't think it would be difficult to conceal the P2000 on my 5'10" 200lb frame. I had the smallest backstrap plate in while shooting, but I think I might use the medium size on my personal one and I held one from the showcase with the medium strap in and liked it a bit better.

Conversely my wife blew the centers out of all her targets at 7yds with the G19 consistantly and loved everything about it except the finger grooves digging into her hand. (She had marks on her fingers from the bumps) She is buying a well cared for 2nd gen G19 from a friend now for herself. She hated the long take-up on the H&K's LEM trigger and after about 20 rounds, she didn't even want to shoot it anymore. After witnessing her shoot the best she ever has with the G19 I really want her to have one. (mind you she's been to the range only 7-8x in her life- she was raised anti-gun but I "fixed" her :) ) After the third time she took out the center I said to her "remind me never to piss you off!" It is so obviously the right gun for her, at least I don't have to worry about her wanting mine!
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I've been looking long and hard at them. I like the way it points and feels, and I like the ambi design. I passed up a great deal, while I was giving it a day or so thought, I went back to put it in lay-a-way it was sold. My dealer can get more but not at the price that one was offered to me. I'm looking to get a lighter "poly" frame pistol, but I always end up with a all metal one.

Well, I will make this statement first. I am a member of the HK forum.

I do not own a P2000 as I was happier with the USPc for CC/OC. I loved how the SK shot but my paws are too big for it.

Pros: Minimal cleaning, there is a thread from Greg trying to see what his P2000 can take. He just crossed the 10k mark and has only cleaned it 1 time. Has not had any issues yet. Stock sights are great, just need to remember there is no 6 o'clock hold with it. You put the sight on the X. LEM is a great trigger can take some getting used to though. Great balance with the gun, does not feel top heavy like Blocks do.

Cons: Besides being a small grip gun I chose the USPc because it has an external safety. The p2ks do not. HK triggers are not the best when it comes to shooting. They get the job done well, but its nothing compared to a 1911 or so. 9 and 40 cals only, if thats what you are going with then you are golden.

I will tell you this though. I trust my life with my HK when it comes down to it. I know it wont fail on me when the time arrives.

Hi Mike,
    I think the sk is a neat gun. One of my friends was talking about his yesterday. I haven't shot it yet. He said it conceals well (about like the G26) and its reliable but recoil is stiff. That makes multiple shots tougher.
    I'll post this weekend if I get to shoot it!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I think I responded to this on the HK forum - but my P2000SK in .40SW is my favorite handgun. Wonderful ergonomics, highly accurate, easy to carry.
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Quote Originally Posted by Discu Stu View Post
    Guns and Ammo in Memphis TN has all of them in stock. I was just fondling them this morning.
    This is where I found out that the P2000sk just would not fit my hand. The short grip (with finger extended mag) would not allow for a full (3) finger grip without all (3) fingers being totally smashed together. I saw a USP compact with a stainless slide in the case and asked to see it. This gun was a perfect fit for my hand and I liked the idea that the USPc had been around for a while and had proven it's reliability. Bought the USPc, with the stainless slide in 9mm, and use it as my daily carry gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links