22 LR Fail

This is a discussion on 22 LR Fail within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I was watching "I Almost Got Away With It" on TV,guy had his G/friend leave him after she found out how aggressive and ...

Thread: 22 LR Fail

22 LR Fail

Last night I was watching "I Almost Got Away With It" on TV,guy had his G/friend leave him after she found out how aggressive and controlling he was.During the show while hiding from the Cops he Kidnapped a couple and he held them hostage in their vehicle making them drive him.At one point the Guy remembered his wife had a 22 revolver in the door pocket,the guy shot 4 times and hit the BG 3 times in the chest with the 22 and the BG proceeded to beat him with it until he finally drove off without them,BG was finally caught and got the Death Penalty for the murder of a couple that had nothing to do with anything other than the fact they lived across the street from his G/friends Parents and he was using their house to wait for her.Several times that he attacked somebody,or got away if anyone of them had been carrying a CCW other than a 22,he would have never injured or killed as many people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Where in the chest did he hit him? From that distance I would think he would get some penetration. I would have went for headshots from 2 ft away.

Thick fat, muscle, and bone will stop a .22. The more material (bio or synthetic) the round has to go through, the more critical shot placement is.

Yes, a .22 is lethal. .22s have killed many people. If you have nothing else, then .22 is what you go with (obviously), but you have to put the rounds where they count to stop the threat.

So is this a .22 fail, or operator error?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

From a confined vehicle and close range, I would say operator error.

VIP Member
    As the old saying goes: "Don't send a boy to do a mans job". 9MM or better is what they should have had in the car. BG's terror spree ended abruptly.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Remember the Mafia's weapon of choice? A .22 to the back of the head, but you have to put the shot where it counts.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

if anyone of them had been carrying a CCW other than a 22,he would have never injured or killed as many people
    You don't know that for sure. It is quite within the realm of possibility that had he been shot with a 9mm instead in all of the exact same places, he still might not have died or been stopped. It is all about percentages. Yes, the 9 mm has a higher percentage chance to stop him, but there are no guarantees. The story would be more useful if we knew exactly where the .22 rounds went into him. Also, might be interesting to know if they were high velocity, low velocity, hollow point, solid point, etc.

Truth be told.. from the sound of things, I'm guessing the guy went and killed the other family AFTER he was shot 3 times with a .22? If that is the case, I'm surprised he didn't bleed to death. Then again, I guess it just depends on what part of him was hit.

Actually from the story I can make a pretty good judgement that he was not holding a firearm on the 2 murder victims all the time as he was watching the house across the street,the woman was shot as she got up and said she was gonna leave.If Hubby was armed with a Concealed handgun there were many opportunitys to take out the BG before he killed his wife,and then turned his rage on him beating him severely and then eventually killing him,one more thing I got from the story was he had to reload a 410 shotgun after each shot,so after shooting would have needed several seconds to reload.
    As far as the Doctor shooting him with the 22 I would say that the Doctor probably shot very little,and under the situation sounds like the shots even tho in the chest missed any vital organs,and he was bleeding bad enough that he started passing out IIRC.The Doctor lived thru the ordeal due to the fact a 380 handgun the BG had stolen failed to fire.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here's a link to an incident that happened in our area in NC: Man, 7-year-old girl shot after Fayetteville wreck :: WRAL.com in this case the BG had the 22. Fortunately, despite being hit MULTIPLE times, both the man and his 7 year old daughter survived. Not only that, they were able to get out of the car themselves and run to a nearby restaurant for help. I share the article to help illustrate how insufficient the 22 round CAN be. A 7 year old girl was able to flee on foot after being struck 4 times by this round - granted we don't know where those bullets struck.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

several years ago at work an employee angry at a supervisor came into a break room and shot 2 people with a .22 - the person with the normal physique died (not the supervisor - not sure where hit) but the intended target was hit several times in the abdomen - this person was hugely obese and the bullets didn't actually get deeper than the fat layer outside the actual abdominal cavity - surgery to explore the wound and remove the bullets and close the wound but not life-threatening

Quote Originally Posted by tremor View Post
    several years ago at work an employee angry at a supervisor came into a break room and shot 2 people with a .22 - the person with the normal physique died (not the supervisor - not sure where hit) but the intended target was hit several times in the abdomen - this person was hugely obese and the bullets didn't actually get deeper than the fat layer outside the actual abdominal cavity
    Do a search on google and you'll immediately find any number of stories of people shot with larger calibers and lived. I'm too lazy to search for links right now, but I've spent plenty of time researching the topic. I even remember reading a policeman's report where he had shot a bad guy 6 or 7 times with a .45 and the guy kept attacking him.

There just aren't any guarantees with any caliber. This argument has been beaten to death and yes, we all know the .22 is not as powerful as the other rounds. But for reasons unexplainable people continue to rely on them, myself included.

Links