American Classic 1911 Commander "modded"

This is a discussion on American Classic 1911 Commander "modded" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided I wanted a better looking gun than the factory American Classic. So I painted the wood grips (until my new ones come) black, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: American Classic 1911 Commander "modded"

American Classic 1911 Commander "modded"

I decided I wanted a better looking gun than the factory American Classic.

So I painted the wood grips (until my new ones come) black, removed the trigger and polished it, removed the hammer and polished that too. I like it a lot. Probably will polish slide catch and safety too. I polished the sides of the trigger bows for a smoother trigger. Mission accomplished.

This is my EDC and now it looks better, even though nobody sees it!
    Attached Images
    Erick46590 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    What type of grips are you getting?
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Administrator
    Remember that with a Carbon Steel firearm when you polish off the protective black oxide finish you are exposing bare Carbon Steel metal to potential rusting.

Ideally you should send those parts out to be either Hard Chromed or Electroless Nickel plated.
    glockman10mm likes this.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=smolck;1948608]I decided I wanted a better looking gun than the factory American Classic.

So I painted the wood grips (until my new ones come) black, removed the trigger and polished it, removed the hammer and polished that too. I like it a lot. Probably will polish slide catch and safety too. I polished the sides of the trigger bows for a smoother trigger. Mission accomplished.

This is my EDC and now it looks better, even though nobody sees it![/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Looks good!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^

To what I've outlined in bold, etc,,, above.
    Yes but that is the same logic women have when putting on frilly,skimpy, flowered panties!

P.S.

Pay attention to what QKShooter says.

"I too have a certain idea of America. Moreover, I would not feel entitled to say that of any other country, except my own. This is not just sentiment, though I always feel ten years younger - despite the jet-lag - when I set foot on American soil: there is something so positive, generous, and open about the people - and everything actually works. I also feel, though, that I have in a sense a share of America." – Margaret Thatcher,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Went a little further. Now I am going to order these parts from Wilson Combat in brushed aluminum.

I don't think the parts will rust, but I will let you know if they do. In my experience with automotive applications (I am a mechanic) this should do just fine if not left outside.

Anyways, just messing around with my gun, I like the result and maybe it will help someone else make some choices about their own gun.
    Attached Images

gtv
    Looks great! I am really loving my ACII. Might have to pick up a Commander next.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

GM
    Very nice! Good job

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Went a little further. Now I am going to order these parts from Wilson Combat in brushed aluminum.

I don't think the parts will rust, but I will let you know if they do. In my experience with automotive applications (I am a mechanic) this should do just fine if not left outside.

Anyways, just messing around with my gun, I like the result and maybe it will help someone else make some choices about their own gun.

I think QKShooter is right. If stainless steel firearms rust, what do you think it will happen to carbon steel firearms if you polish off the protective black oxide finish? Do not underestimate the corrosive and rusting effects of moisture, salt and dirt from perspiration coming into contact with the metal.
    Last edited by GM; June 5th, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

OH NO.....THE DREADED "KICK STAND"....

Nice job...agree with all on the rust issue, though...but it sounds like you are taking care of it...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Nice!!! There are some metal polishes like Simichrome which you can apply to the exposed metal that leave a protective coating and might help with the rust issue.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thanks guys.

I am actually going to see what this thing looks like in a week with proper care. Since this is my EDC gun it gets wiped down every night before bed anyways and with a light coat of gun oil on the parts I am betting I won't see rust. Some of the bluing had worn off anyways around the grip safety and trigger from rubbing the frame and it has been over a month and no rust on those parts.

Either way, if they do rust I'll drop in the Wilson parts. Regardless I will keep you all up to date on the rust issue. In the meantime, I am so loving this look that I am tempted to "open carry"!

Well, my gun has spent most of this week in it's holster and my hands and no sign of rust at all. I just installed new grips and grip screws tonight and gave it a good once over and she is great. My wife even stopped and said "wow, that looks awesome honey". So far, so good.

Distinguished Member
    [QUOTE=oneshot;1948657]
    , even though nobody sees it![/QUOTE]

Yes but that is the same logic women have when putting on frilly,skimpy, flowered panties!
    The thought that should someone see it, a physiological reaction should occur?

Great job.. I really like the look! Got some ga-hone-es to "try it out" on a 1911.
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Well, my gun has spent most of this week in it's holster and my hands and no sign of rust at all. I just installed new grips and grip screws tonight and gave it a good once over and she is great. My wife even stopped and said "wow, that looks awesome honey". So far, so good.
    Where's the pics with the new grips?

I have a couple of revolvers that have had the trigger and hammer polished, haven't had any trouble with rust or corrosion.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    its what floats ur boat--an it sure is pretty.

we have a different way in that as a SD gun it has to run even dirty; my defender or p239 gets wiped with a silicon cloth
    when putting it away if it has come out of its holster. if its been fired it gets the bore-snake and after Ive wiped what i can reach,
    some rem oil. slide off clean every 1000 rounds or 3 months.

a suggestion cause if you ever have the police to examine the gun following its being used--any work on the action parts should have
    paperwork from a gunsmith. it will cost you less in court than possibly having to defend about how you did things may have affected the gun.
    this is total legal bs, but the money it may cost you is real.

------------------------
    build a fire for a man and you warm him for the night;
    light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links