Kahr CW9 Trigger

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 Trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been shopping around and doing quite a bit of research on my next gun purchase. I love my SP101 and it's not going ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kahr CW9 Trigger

Kahr CW9 Trigger

I have been shopping around and doing quite a bit of research on my next gun purchase. I love my SP101 and it's not going anywhere but sometimes I find myself wanting to carry a automatic. For the most part I have the choice's whittled down to the Kahr CW9 or a Glock 26. They both have their pro's and cons but for me it basically comes down to choosing between the kahrs superior ease of carry because of the width (also requires the least amount of wardrobe adjustments) and the glock 26's superior capacity or 10+1 as opposed to the CW9's 7+1. One thing that may lean me towards one or the other is also the trigger. I have shot Glock and I am familiar with the trigger however I have NOT fired the Kahr and my local range does not rent one. For those of you that have shot the Kahr... I have read that the Kahr triggers are extremely smooth however also a bit on the long side when concerning the pull. How would you compare the Kahr's trigger pull to say........that of a DA revolver? Quite a bit shorter, a bit shorter, the same, etc?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    How would you compare the Kahr's trigger pull to say........that of a DA revolver? Quite a bit shorter, a bit shorter, the same, etc?
    The Kahr triggers are long, smooth very revolver like. It is not a target trigger.The distance from the back strap of the grip to the trigger is shorter than most pistols and this causes many people to have to learn how to finish the pull without involuntarily moving the gun. Kahr triggers need to be learned. I like the trigger myself, especially the standard, shorter pull 3/8, found on the CW9. It is meant to be pulled apace, as in a danger situation. Trying to milk it for a crisp, target pistol like clean break is difficult to do. Use it within it's limitations and many people find the trigger more than appropriate for it's use.
    Hodad likes this.

VIP Member
    I have the CW40 and the trigger pull is shorter than a DA revolver and lighter. Trigger pull is very smooth and does not have the stacking typical with revolvers. Of the DAO semi-autos I have tried the Kahr has the best trigger.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Hi Rollo,

I don't have a CW9, but do have a CW45 and a CM9. I find the Kahr triggers to be great - much better than a Glock.

Comparing the trigger pull to a DA revolver, (and this is subjective, not measured) it feels shorter and smoother than most (not including a Python ). Also smoother than most DA/SA semi's that I recall. I just compared it to my SIG P232, and found the length of pull to be about the same, but the Kahr is noticeably smoother (and the P232 is a fine weapon!).

Regards,
    Jim

All I will add is that the Glock trigger has an outstanding reset - if you learn to "ride the reset" you can deliver some truly quick follow-up shots.

Of your two choices Rollo, the Glock is the better weapon, hands down. That said, my EDC nowadays is a PM9 in one pocket and a LCP in the other. My G26 sits in the safe. If my situation changes and my need for discretion diminishes, however, I'd carry the G26.

As far as trigger "feel" and accuracy - I can make "one ragged hole" shot groups at 7 yards with all my carry guns (G19, G26, PM9, LCP). Their triggers are different, but if you have good trigger finger control and good fundamentals, you can shoot just about anything well. Some folks make a big deal of triggers - I do not. Just shoot the darn thing.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    The trigger is long and smooth. It is just like a really smooth revolver trigger, but it's much lighter than a revolver could ever be. It doesn't stack like a Glock trigger. I like the Kahr trigger quite a bit. It's definitely worth getting a Kahr.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

My opinions are cheap, take them for what they are worth. It took me some time to get used to the trigger and get decent accuracy from the CW9, it is a longer pull than my SP101 (and to tell the truth, it took me a couple of range trips with the little Ruger to get it to do what I wanted). The Kahr's initial take-up is light, unlike the Ruger which tends to have a fairly constant pull in double action, but it is obvious when you start approaching trigger break. I actually like the triggers on my Glocks (especially the G30) better than the Kahr, but that might be because I have shot it much more. I think you can become very proficient with either choice, for me the decision would come down to ease of carry/concealment (gotta be the Kahr), or absolute firepower/capacity. I've had a few issues with my Kahr (FTRTB and dropped mag), but those were just as likely shooter error as a problem with the weapon. Have fun shopping!!
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Just my general feelings are the trigger on the Kahr is a bit lighter and smoother than most Ruger triggers. I have a GP100, Speed Six and Security Six. Not familiar with the Glock trigger. I don't think you'd have any trouble adjusting to the trigger pull of the Kahr. Giving up the 3 rounds with the Kahr over the Glock shouldn't be a big issue.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I like the Kahr trigger on my PM40. It's a hybred, lighter than a DA because the striker is partially cocked and blocked. It has a long, smooth stroke and long reset, but the let off is clean. My favorite DA auto trigger has got to be the Rohrbaugh R9. It's expensive, but if you point that mousegun at something, you'll hit it, because the gun doesn't move when the hammer falls. The KImber Solo might have great accuracy potential, with its SA trigger, but it's way backordered. Although their triggers are good for fast, accurate shooting, Glocks seem a bit boxy to me for IWB carry. The Kahr is priced right, so you'll have enough left over to buy a bigger safe!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Before you make a choice, check out a Walther PPS. Its the same size as a Kahr CW9, and has a super smooth light trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    Before you make a choice, check out a Walther PPS. Its the same size as a Kahr CW9, and has a super smooth light trigger.
    I gave a lot of thought to the PPS. I just don't know if I can get over the mag release.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Rollo, just picked up a CW9 at the 1500 on Sunday. Haven't fired it yet but it seems to be well made and feels good in my hand. Carried it around the house and feels great, hides well and points naturally in my hand. I want ti to be my "summer carry" gun and also for the woman since it is small.

It was price right also at $439 after taxes.

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

IMO Kahr has the best feeling DA trigger on the market. I wish all my revolvers felt the way it does. I have great respect for the Glock and have carried the G-27 as back up to my G-23 duty weapon. I now use a Kahr K40 as an off duty weapon because of it's size and fit to my hand.
    TN_Mike likes this.

I have a Kahr K9. The trigger is very smooth, light, and has a very long travel. As someone said before it is not a target trigger. It has taken me a while to get used to shooting it and getting decent groups. But the gun is very easy to carry and I wanted something that I could cc here in the "warm" summer time.

hey Rollo,i've owned my cw9 for about 2yrs now,IMO the trigger is far superior to most DA revolvers that i've shot.it breaks just right,Not too long just perfect and super smooth.it's been 100% reliable and is extremely accurate..the cw9 is well balanced and feels great in the hand not to mention nice and thin too..highly recommend

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links