Compensated Glocks: Fact VS. Myth

This is a discussion on Compensated Glocks: Fact VS. Myth within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this to be well written and informative. What are your opinions? http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?...pensated+Glock...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compensated Glocks: Fact VS. Myth

I found this to be well written and informative. What are your opinions?

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?...pensated+Glock
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Assistant Administrator
    That is a well written and very comprehensive article.

I have had the pleasure of seeing and shooting a 17C and from shooting POV (as a non Glocker) I can say, I was VERY impressed - wow - the speed of follow-up shots was stellar.

I did have reservations re muzzle/porting flash as I used it in daylight but the guy writes very convincingly that it is not a big issue.

If I were ''Glockin" - I sure would like one of those!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    After a lot of consideration, I don't think I'd like to carry a ported firearm. Compensated sounds like it could be a lot of fun, but I haven't had an opportunity to check it out.

I have reservations about the ported guns for a good reason. If I have to draw and shoot from a retention position, I don't want to have to worry about burning myself in a gunfight. Especially if you are clearing your house for one of those "bumps in the night." If one of those happens to be more than a bump, and you are moving through a doorway (not always a good time to have your gun fully extended) and I have to shoot from that position, I don't want to drop my gun because I burn myself from escaping gas.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I don't worry about it i carry a little 44 mag 3" carry comp some times its a non issue to me

This is one of the subjects that are to each there own like night sights are not smooth peanut butter or crunchy

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    The only compensated Glock I have is an 18C. It is a "hoot to shoot", but obviously not a carry weapon.

Glock or not I wouldn't carry a compensated weapon, primarilly due to the fact that as my eyes get older (I am almost 50), they are increasingly more affected by bright flashes and slower to recover. If I were to fire a compensated weapon in a low light situation, my night vision would be gone after the first shot. If there were more than one attacker, I wouldn't stand a chance.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I don't worry about it i carry a little 44 mag 3" carry comp some times its a non issue to me

This is one of the subjects that are to each there own like night sights are not smooth peanut butter or crunchy
    And the flash and blast from that little hand cannon makes a Glock 23C ported blast seem puny.

I carry a Glock 23C at times and with good name brand ammo it's never been really noticeable to me. The Taurus mod44-4" the blast is noticeable, but not uncomfortable to me, and flash, no more on top than at the front. It's really a non issure with me. The benefits work for me. The cons everyone thinks about. I've never encountered. If I had to keep the pistol close to my body to shoot and recieved a minor powder burn. I'm sure I'd never feel it untill long after the action was past. I bet it would be a small thing, it will not set your clothes on fire.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In my experiance porting and comps do work , and they work better with higher pressure calibers , not so much with the old .45 . Personaly none of my pistols are currently compensated in any way at this time , but that is not due to any inhearant disadvantage of the systems , its simply that I seem to manage recoil fine without them , and wont spend the extra to have it done .

That being said , if i can come up with a 4" for my p9 cheap enough i may thread it , and make a carry comp for it just for the wow factor lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo
    After a lot of consideration, I don't think I'd like to carry a ported firearm. Compensated sounds like it could be a lot of fun, but I haven't had an opportunity to check it out.

I have reservations about the ported guns for a good reason. If I have to draw and shoot from a retention position, I don't want to have to worry about burning myself in a gunfight. Especially if you are clearing your house for one of those "bumps in the night." If one of those happens to be more than a bump, and you are moving through a doorway (not always a good time to have your gun fully extended) and I have to shoot from that position, I don't want to drop my gun because I burn myself from escaping gas.
    I'm sure that with the adrenalin rush of a shoot, you'd not feel a thing, let alone drop your weapon.... I "popped" my left forearm with a .22 a few years back and didnt realize what had happened until about 30-45 seconds later when the blood started soaking through the jacket sleeve...
    Soon after, I thought the "gates of hell" had opened up on my left hand and arm, but I don't know if it was due to the realization or actual pain.... (the mind is funny that way)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    I'm sure that with the adrenalin rush of a shoot, you'd not feel a thing, let alone drop your weapon.... I "popped" my left forearm with a .22 a few years back and didnt realize what had happened until about 30-45 seconds later when the blood started soaking through the jacket sleeve...
    Soon after, I thought the "gates of hell" had opened up on my left hand and arm, but I don't know if it was due to the realization or actual pain.... (the mind is funny that way)
    The fact that you had been shot sunk in, if you'd just cut yourself or steped on glass, you would not have reacted the same. The "idea" that you had been shot, well what else is supposed to compare you had been shot. We grow up seeing all the scenes in the movies and on old westerns and stuff.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

True!

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    I'm sure that with the adrenalin rush of a shoot, you'd not feel a thing, let alone drop your weapon.... (the mind is funny that way)
    I'll be the last to argue that. I've been in too many simunition gunfights and been hit and never felt it because of the adrenaline. BUT.... what it boils down to is that I'll still have to deal with 2nd degree burns later... that with any other firearm, I would have avoided. I won't belittle the fact that they probably do exactly what they are intended... but I'd rather avoid it.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo
    I'll be the last to argue that. I've been in too many simunition gunfights and been hit and never felt it because of the adrenaline. BUT.... what it boils down to is that I'll still have to deal with 2nd degree burns later... that with any other firearm, I would have avoided. I won't belittle the fact that they probably do exactly what they are intended... but I'd rather avoid it.
    Which you are perfectly correct in doing if you feel better in not using a compensated gun. I on the other hand feel that it make the pistol more comfortable and easier to control, and this out weighs the negitive effects. I only have two that are comp. and they are on a Clock23 which is a .40 and I do put a .357sig barrel in it. The other is a 4" .44mag and I feel that the comp. makes these three easier to shoot. I have other in .357mag,.45acp,and 9mm no problems with them. But I want leave one of the comp. guns at home because of it .

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You guys that don't worry about your comp'ed CC weapons are not shooting from all the "positions from hell" that we here train in.

Bud,fire that comp'ed .44 left handed(which IIRC you are) up under your outstretched right arm pit. We walk up to a wall and put our off hand palm on the wall. Then we take a half step back so that our hand on the wall keeps us from falling forward. We then draw and shoot under our bicep or forearm. We have 9 different "draw and shoot's". IIRC,4 of which would burn a shooter with a comp'ed weapon.

Have the people that carry a comp'ed weapon all fired them at night. Give that a try also(see the Glock add). The flash is not of long duration but it is bright and hot.

No combat or CC weapon (pistol or revo)in my inventory will ever be comp'ed.---------

Senior Moderator
    I've done quite a bit of night firing with various weapons. One thing I have learned is to NEVER look directly at another firing gun,compensatd or not.
    The flash from it could be enough to momentarily cause the pupils in your eyes to retract enough that you completely lose what little night vision you had. The small amount of time that it takes to regain it could seem like a very long time if you need it.

I have fired compensated weapons from many postitions. It is my opinion that they can be a definate distraction in a time that you need as few distractions as possible.

It is true that they work...some designs better than others and like already stated, the more intense the round the better they work.

However...its a fact that most gunfights are going to occur in less than ideal conditions.Lack of good light seems to be common trait in many of them. Its enough of a factor that I dont have any, and I probably wont have one on a personal defensive weapon. For target or range guns they are exellent. They can be a real advantage when competeing.

In reality, I dont beleive that the "quick follow up shot" on a compensated handgun is enough of an advantage to overweigh the negatives in a true life or death situation and they are best delegated as target guns that are shot in the daylight where it wont matter.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Have the people that carry a comp'ed weapon all fired them at night. Give that a try also(see the Glock add). The flash is not of long duration but it is bright and hot.
    I've used a 19C for low-light qualification, twice a year, for four years now. I've never had a problem with or without tac lighting.

This was an original concern of mine when I bought the weapon, more importantly any loss of night vision that I may encounter in the shoot-house. It's simply not an issue.
    Virginia Citizen's Defense League
    The Soldiers Creed
    This here JimmyHat is for your protection, and mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links