Which Sig and Why

This is a discussion on Which Sig and Why within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently sold my old West German P226. 93' if I recall correctly. Now that its out of the safe I am left with an ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which Sig and Why

Which Sig and Why

I recently sold my old West German P226. 93' if I recall correctly. Now that its out of the safe I am left with an empty shelf and the desire replace the one I had. I guess I will just have to use this opportunity to upgrade to a new model.

A recent thread about the 239 got me excited about them again. I am not sure which model to go with. The only ones I have shot are the 226 and 220.

Which model would you get? Also, what style?(regular,elite,etc.)

The only thing I can say is that I am really interested in the SRT trigger. The reset always was a bit longer than I would have liked.

Anyhow, let me hear your opinions. Just looking to get some good information since I don't know any sig owners personally.

2. Remove Ads

Sig 220 best there is without a doubt

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    P229 or P239. It's what works for me.

VIP Member
    For the broadest range of SD/HD applications, I like the P228 (or 229 if you feel compelled to use something other than 9mm). Really, though, it depends entirely on what you're going to use it for, and what of the "special" runs you think give you features and/or aesthetics that you like. You really can't go wrong.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Since you are in Ohio, I will offer this advice. Vance's and Buckeye Firearms have police trade in 220's for $430 in their weekly insert this week. I bought one out of a batch last year for a similar price, it came with 3 mags, and the night sights are still bright on it. It did have some finish wear from being carried, but is in great shape as far as being a shooter. And its about half price of a new 220. When I got mine, all of them were traditional DA/SA, I don't know about their current batch.

But I think that might be something that is worth you making a phone call, and/or drive to Columbus, if you are looking for a gun you intend to shoot. www.vanceoutdoors.com, click on the yellow lettering that says "weekly insert."

I do not work for and am in no way affiliated with the company, I just give them a lot of business, because they usually have awesome deals.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

P220 elite sao. Love my sao but would like the beavertail on the elite. My sao does everything a 1911 does only better.

I've got two Sigs..the P-232 stainless, with the Hogue grips, night sights, and the custom shop anti-snag work. It's a reliable light weight carry. I also have the Sig P-220 Carry Elite Stainless. It's a reliable heavy weight carry. The 220 is my favorite. It's just a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. The 232 is a quality gun and a little more practical for me to carry, but I'm sacrificing caliber for the comfort.

Distinguished Member
    I have both a 228R and 220R Carry Elite Dark. Both are different yet very similar. Can't go wrong with either IMHO, fondle them and pick which one feels better.

My 220 has the SRT, I know the reset is shorter but the reset on the 228 never bothered me so it wasn't a big consideration. The beaver tail on the Elite is nice if you like that styling, but it really doesn't add much to function. Both of mine also have the new Hogue produced Sig Sauer branded aluminum grips.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I am very partial to the SIG P250. I have both the 2sum and the P250 compact all in 9mm. I have over 10,000 rounds through them with only one FLE which was the ammo not the gun. The P250 did have some early issues with FLEs, FTFs which I'm pretty sure is all but a thing of the past. It is a DAO which is a turn off for some people. With that DAO the trigger is butter smooth and the approx 5.5 lbs pull is very easy to pull and its light enough with some practice you won't be pulling off the target with that long trigger pull. It is plenty accurate for a combat style DAO pistol. If I am thinking about it I can put one big hole in the center of my target at 15 yards without a problem. As for it being a DAO and not being able to shoot it fast. You can shoot the thing plenty fast and hit your target at normal defensive distances with a little practice. All and all I see the P250 as a very solid platform. With the 2sum the prices have came way down and you get can it in either 9mm or .40 S&W for less than you can a SIG classic. Just my 2 cents.
    gatech33 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    For the broadest range of SD/HD applications, I like the P228 (or 229 if you feel compelled to use something other than 9mm). Really, though, it depends entirely on what you're going to use it for, and what of the "special" runs you think give you features and/or aesthetics that you like. You really can't go wrong.
    You really need to look at the P228 or a Non p6 model P225. I love my P228.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    p239/40....like it, heck i carried it for many years and also used it in IDPA, plate & pin shoots an more. very accurate and the reset on mine ( a 1st generation SA/DA with decocker) is not much. you learn to ride the trigger forward till you feel the click, pull than for another bang. from EFKFiredragon i got a ported 357 Sig bbl and a ported 9mm conversion bbl. all work with the mags (4 or 5) and the recoil spring. though the 9 needs NATO +P power to cycle proper and the faster the bullets, the lower they print--still a tight group but 5" lower for 9 and that much again for 357.

its up for sale with dies & lots of extras though i received a "I'll take it" in less than 2 hours.
    so a lot of people are liking the Sig's--they are tops for its slimness, size, accuracy, power and controllability.
    I'm selling cause I'm retired from that what i use to work at that had me feeling it was the one to carry.
    and FL is in my future so I'm thinking of carrying 'lighter'

the 229 has more capacity but the increase in the grip thickness takes for the gun that which is special to many--its thinness and ease of concealabelity. also get a 2 tone if you can and good luck to you
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The P229 Elite Stainless is looking pretty sweet on Sig's website. A P229 SCT is in my carry lineup at the moment, it's the forth Sig I've owned and they all were great guns.

I am feeling the bug to buy either a P220 Carry Elite or 239 Tactical.

Depends on application

I have 5 Sigs and like them all. I use them for different things, so the one I recommend depends on application. For carry I like the P239 in 9mm, because it is the smallest of mine and conceals very well, but still has the good trigger and accuracy I expect of a Sig.

For targets at the range I like the all steel P220ST, because it handles recoil so well and is highly accurate.

For all around use I prefer the .40 caliber P229, as it is small enough to carry, is easy to shoot accurately, and has significant magazine capacity. I tend to use the P229 for home defense.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I don't own a Sig at this time. I have been looking at the Gen 2 with the melt treatment. I would probably go with a 220 simply because I like the 45 ACP round.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Pretty decent review of P228 by nutnfancy: YouTube - ‪nutnfancy's Channel‬‏

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links