XDM mag springs

XDM mag springs

This is a discussion on XDM mag springs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I wanted to know if any of you have had this. I recently traded a Springfield XDM in .40. I loved the gun ...

Thread: XDM mag springs

XDM mag springs

Hey all,
    I wanted to know if any of you have had this. I recently traded a Springfield XDM in .40. I loved the gun but was just too fat a grip for my hands. I got a call from the guy who is very knowledgeable and asked if I ever had failure to feed with the gun. I never did and was upset. He took it to SA armorer friend who said that with tactical shooting speeds, the stock mag springs are not heavy enough with full capacity mags to feed properly. He traded out springs for mags and problem solved.

Here is my deal, no bash on the gun or SA I liked it. What gets me wiggy is never hearing of this and it was my carry gun at times. I never had a FTF, this guy is totally reliable friend and was not yanking my chain. Holy crap. Has anyone heard of this or experienced it?

VIP Member
    Never had an ftf and I have shot the piss out of XD's and XDm's! Check your chain!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

never had a single problem with my XDm9
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Nope, never had an issue either.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    My very first shot with my XD .40 was a fail to feed. It was not, however, my guns fault at all. I had shot XD's in the past, but was all excited to finally shoot my own. I was trying to calm my nerves and was relaxing... relaxing ...relaxing... squeezed the trigger... BOOM-JAM. I was trying to be so relaxed, I limp-wristed the crap out of the first shot, LOL. It failed to feed the next round properly - jammed. I cleared the round, laughed, and emptied the mag on the target. I have had 0 problems since.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I've never had such a problem on my XDm9s. My full-size was a new-to-me, dating back to the time that they had the NRA stamp on there; my EDC, a 3.8 Compact, also in 9mm, was purchased just this past January.

None have had such failures, and all are on stock magazine springs - they're routinely "topped off" (that's how I carry, as well as store my HD magazines, too). Three full-size magazines go back to the time when the full-size was new, but I've also purchased 7 more full-sized magazines last November/December, and I have a total of four 13-round "flush" magazines for the 3.8 Compact.

I've put a combined approx. 17,000 (eighteen-thousand) rounds downrange, on these two guns, heavily biased towards the full-sized, which is my "class" pistol, which has seen use in several tactical shooting/pistolcraft courses since this spring. Both have seen a variety of different ammunition, and have been used in drastically different weather conditions, including in a driving downpour.

But again, this is for the 9mm XDm variant.

Never had a ftf with mine.

Good to know. So be it I guess.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Not sure if it might not be a problem with the .40s, or with earlier-run pieces (remembering that early-on, the .40 had magazine-related issues that were different from what you are describing). XDTalk would be the place to check.

And certainly, just because we haven't experienced it ourselves doesn't mean that it cannot happen!

Sponsored Links