Kel Tec PF-9 Update

This is a discussion on Kel Tec PF-9 Update within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I posted awhile back about my PF9 Slide rusting. I contacted Kel Tec and they were very nice and understanding and replaced the slide ...

Thread: Kel Tec PF-9 Update

Kel Tec PF-9 Update

Well, I posted awhile back about my PF9 Slide rusting. I contacted Kel Tec and they were very nice and understanding and replaced the slide no problems.

I carried the new slide ONE evening (5 hours) and the slide was rusted from the tip to tip. Worse then the first one. I contacted Kel Tec again and they were very nice but basically told me too bad. Offered to parkerize it for $60 bucks. Which, is what I am going to do. What else can I do?!?

So, I will never be buying another blued finish handgun. Obviously I have some sort of acid sweat that just destroys blued finishes. (Carried G19 in the same holster, came out fine, night after night)

So, The Storal of the Mory is not to carry a blued gun in a cloth holster where sweat is abundant. Looking back, I would have invested in a Diamondback or something... Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

2. Remove Ads

Well, the Tenifer finish on the Glock is reported to be the second hardest material known to man, with the hardest material being diamond. It is not blued. The finish on Springfield XD's are said to be the same finish as the Glock Tenifer only under a different name.

Also, not all factory bluing is the same quality. The blued finish on a Kel-Tec for example is going to be a far cry from the lustrous and luxurious blued finish as Colt put on their old Pythons.

Regardless, if your body chemistry seems to have an effect on blued guns in general (which is not unheard of), then I would say you should go with stainless steel or some other finish or coating.

In the mean time, I don't think you'd go wrong having your entire PF9 DuraCoated. That is supposed to be an awesome finish and one you can do yourself at home. However, there are lots of people out there who will DuraCoat it for you at a reasonable cost.

DuraCoat Firearm Finishes

And check out their Frequently Asked Questions page.

DuraCoat FAQ's

They also offer a training class which teaches you how to apply it professionally if you care to travel to Wisconsin. Price is $400 Check out the link to "DuraCoat University" on their website for details.

If you go to YouTube and type in "DuraCoat," I'm sure you'll find lots of reviews on the product as well as tips for applying it yourself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i don't think the bluing on the pf-9 is that good to begin with,the parkerized finish is the way to go..

I have looked into the Duracoat and am still considering it. That would definitely be a viable option.

+1 on the Duracoat. I wouldn't give KT a 3rd try.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    parkerized is the way to go for IWB and winter areas. lots of moisture and blued for a carry gun ( unless someone else is buying....) wont last a year.
    sorry KT brushed you off.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I do not see why some people are making it seem like KelTec is at fault here. I have a blued PF9 also and before purchasing I researched and found that a blued finish is susceptible to rusting. So I knew that it may rust if I sweat and carried it IWB. I ended up purchasing another like new Hard Chrome PF9 that I now carry IWB. So now I have 2 PF9's !!! I think it was nice of Keltec to replace the 1st slide knowing full well this was not their fault and which shows the excellent level of commitment that Keltec has for their customers. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    +1 on the Duracoat. I wouldn't give KT a 3rd try.
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    parkerized is the way to go for IWB and winter areas. lots of moisture and blued for a carry gun ( unless someone else is buying....) wont last a year.
    sorry KT brushed you off.

I have and carry in a leather IWB holster a parkerized PF9. I for one do not like the look of the parkerized finish but to date it has not rusted.
    If I have a problem with rust on it I would Duracoat It, or cold blue it myself to make sure the bluing was done well.
    Duracoat would be the best way I think to solve the problem with out it popping up again.

VIP Member
    I had a Kimber customer who left his stainless pro carry in the plastic bag. I wanted to help him, but the factory said that rust is neglect. It's commendable that Kel-Tec gave you a new slide. It sounds like Duracoat may be the answer. Best of luck with it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Links