See if you can laugh at this .22 pistol!

This is a discussion on See if you can laugh at this .22 pistol! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow.. Can't believe I'm just now seeing this. You guys who make fun of .22 pistols, this thing is quite a monster! This thing is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: See if you can laugh at this .22 pistol!

Wow.. Can't believe I'm just now seeing this. You guys who make fun of .22 pistols, this thing is quite a monster!

This thing is chambered in a .22 WMR so it is going to be more powerful than the typical .22 LR. However, the real kicker is that it holds 30 rounds! You could turn a bad guy into swiss cheese with that and never have to change the magazine.

I'd buy one right now, but unfortunately, I realized it is too big for me. The thing measures almost 8" long, which is over an inch longer than my Glock 19, which is the largest gun I can carry comfortably.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    been around for quite a while--the consensus is it has a role in home defense but.....big but here---it is very loud. raw energy is similar to a 38spl but it is instant ear damaging loud; more so when fired in a contained environment such as a hallway or small room. K-T puts out some funky stuff and this is a 10 for 10 fun camp gun. with cci maxi-mag accuracy for me was under 2" at 25 yards and i think it could do better but for the factory sights.

AMT years ago put out a similiar gun; same size, heavier but fewer rounds on board. its accuracy was ...hit or miss as was it dependability. most were of 4 and 6 inches
    and few are still around. they required hot rounds just to hope it would function. try b4 you buy; don't buy it for the pretty.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    .22 WMR is most definitely NOT .22LR - it is leaps and bounds more powerful. And yes, 30 rounds is quite a nice payload to have on board.

I have no experience with the pistol, but it does seem to fulfill a narrow niche in the SD universe. It also seems like a heck of a fun gun to plink with...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

My 10mm holds 10/15/20 rounds. I will stick with that.

cmb
    I think somone did a comparison between this and the FN 5.7 but I can't remember who or where, I think they have their niche... they are poopular where I am at because of the hog population...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Administrator

Yup. I can laugh at it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/

"The PMR-30 is a light weight, full size pistol chambered for the flat-shooting .22Magnum cartridge (.22WMR). The PMR-30 operates on a unique hybrid blowback/locked-breech system. This operation system allows for the use of a wide variety of ammunition as it seamlessly adjusts between locked breach and blowback operation, depending on the pressure of the cartridge. It uses a double stack magazine of a new design that holds 30 rounds and fits completely in the grip of the pistol. The trigger is a crisp single action with an over-travel stop. The manual safety is a thumb activated ambidextrous safety lever (up for SAFE, down for FIRE). The slide locks back after the last shot and a manual slide lock lever is also provided. The light, crisp trigger pull and fiber optic sights make the PMR-30 ideal for target shooting and hunting small game."

"Slide and barrel are 4140 steel, frame is 7075 aluminum. Grip, slide cover, trigger, mag release, and safety levers are glass reinforced Nylon (Zytel), much like other Kel-Tec Pistols. Magazine is Also Zytel and holds 30 rounds, with round count ports. Other features include: dual opposing extractors for reliability, heel magazine release to aid in magazine retention, dovetailed aluminum front sight, Picatinny accessory rail under the barrel, Urethane recoil buffer, captive coaxial recoil springs. PMR30 disassembles for cleaning by removal of a single pin."

Bill Jordan had great admiration for the destructive power of this little cartridge as does Maas. I feel not under gunned with 7 rds of CCI in my 10oz revolver
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I think this is a nice piece....this past weekend, I went to the boonies target shooting with a friend of mine...I brought my Ruger Single six convertible with the mag cylinder installed....this one has the 9.5 inch barrel and is very accurate....I always renew my amazement with the .22 WMR every time I shoot this one....
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I'll laugh. Its a Kel Tec, 22 wmr is not cheap plinking, its pretty large to conceal easily, and if its for home defense there are many better caliber choices. Some hunting or plinking uses would be acceptable but to me for ccw this gun is a poor choice.

Oh and once again its Kel Tec and after my experience with them I've written them off as cheaply made, poorly finished sub entry level firearms. If you or anyone else has one that works well great, more power to you. But Kel Tec owners have to be realistic and acknowledge that their gun is not an exceptional pistol.

I'm realistic that though my Rugers are great for me and functional, they're no Dan Wesson or other fine custom pistol.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    truth in what you say rammerj, i don't recommend a K-T till you have other guns. this is so you will not be left shy a needed gun when the KT goes to the factory for repairs/updates. their customer service is great, typical 8 day turn arounds, but it is out of your carry rotation for that time. or buy them in pairs, they are after all half the cost of the rugers--which all got recalled also. hmmm...a difference that makes litle difference it seems.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Yep, that was brought up here a while back. Pretty cool.
    And I've got one of those AMT... pretty darn accurate. A good shooter if you keep it clean. The LGS said that he ran into a couple that went full auto though... not sure if that's a bad thing or not...

I second the Amt. I love mine.

Myth Busting .22 Magnum vs 5.7x28mm

From the article: "Kel-Tec have stated [PDF Link] that a 40 grain .22 WMR round should reach a velocity of 1230 fps from the 4.3" barrel of their PMR-30 pistol. This works out to 134.40 ft/lbs of energy.

This is a significantly less than the FN Five-seveN USG (4.75" barrel), which can push a 40 grain bullet at 2009 fps. This works out to 358.57 ft/lbs! Nearly three times as powerful as the .22 WMR!"

FWIW, my Five-seveN is loaded with 45gr Barnes TSX bullets which travel at ~ 1975 fps @ 390 ft-lbs. (It's also capable of penetrating armor...)

I can see where comparisons can be made, but the .22 WMR is not even in the same league as the 5.7x28mm.

"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

[EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

Too big for CC.

As for a bedside gun, I would rather have 15 rds of .45 from an FNP-45.

I won't laugh though. I won't laugh at anything that carries 30 rounds. (That's a lot of dodging to do)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links