Help me pick a smaller EDC?

This is a discussion on Help me pick a smaller EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP - I would steer clear of an ankle holster for anything other than a second/backup gun. While good for seated access (like in your ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help me pick a smaller EDC?

OP - I would steer clear of an ankle holster for anything other than a second/backup gun. While good for seated access (like in your car or at a desk), ankle holsters prevent you from drawing your sidearm while moving - a potentially fatal weakness of this carry method.

My wife (who is petite) likes her Ruger LCP in a belly band. With a baby to carry around, and being around children (and their parents) a lot, this discreet gun and carry method works well for her.

There are so many choices in guns and carry methods that it would be hard for us to really give suggestions without you narrowing down the choices a bit. A great deal will be determined by your wardrobe, lifestyle, tolerance for being "outed," and etc.

I will agree that the Cornered Cat web site is a great place to start - for women and men alike.

Try as many different guns and holsters as you can. Enjoy the search!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Well, you're probably not going to love ankle carry very much but, if you do decide to carry in that location then go for an Alessi ankle rig since it's the best one out there.

The firearm, carry mode, & location that you should really consider would be a good quality stiff gun belt....a Stainless Steel S&W J-Frame...OWB Carry (behind the hip) under an untucked slightly oversize shirt in a Milt Sparks PMK holster which was specifically designed by Tony K. for his Wife....AKA the Female Form.

But, it's an incredible holster for guys also.

That is probably the most all day comfortable revolver carry possible for females.

It is sometimes tough to get ahold of a SPARKS holster...you need to follow the exact ordering instructions on the Sparks website.

Click the M. Sparks banner at the top of any forum page.

Try that mode of carry. Trust me you'll never LOSE money on a Sparks Holster if you buy one and don't like it for any reason.
    There is no shortage of people that will buy it for the full amount you paid for it....plus some.

Sparks PMK

A good idea would be for you to check out the gun clubs/firing ranges within driving distance of your home. Most that I know of will offer special classes or discounts on range sessions for the Ladies. What's even better though is at these special sessions, all of the women will group together and compare "notes" on what works and what doesn't work when it comes to female specific concerns (carrying, etc). When my wife would go it was a great opportunity for her to try various makes and models of other women's handguns and learn what works for them. She never considered a belly band until she saw how popular it was with other Moms, and better yet learned from them WHY it was better for them.

Good luck in your pursuit and don't be afraid to ask any questions that occur to you.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

My wife loves her S&W M&P compact. I know its not a revolver but she really likes hers. I don't think she could even grip the Judge. I would list a couple of revolvers but it seems the one's I would have listed were already mentioned. I like my Springfield XDsc and S&W BG380 (when i am in shorts). Good luck on your hunt for a new EDC.

J-frame revolvers are an obvious choice, but in terms of an autoloader that's flat, compact and pretty light but still manageable, my recommendation is a Kahr CW9 or its higher-end brother the P9. It's got 7+1 capacity of 9mm plus a grip long enough to get all your fingers on, and an easy-to-learn smooth double action trigger.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I will echo the j frame recomendations, and the Ruger LC9 is nice if you want an auto.

S&W 442. And never again listen to whoever suggested a Judge. That's a gimmick gun with garbage quality control, no offense to your sidearm meant, ma'am.

Ankle carry, as noted, is suboptimal for the primary gun. The last thing you want to do is to have to choose between movement and deploying the weapon.

I've never used a belly band holster, but I would think this is a method that causes a relatively slow deployment of the weapon.

A 442 is light and can be easily concealed, on or off the body as the circumstances might dictate.

S&W 442-1 no lock (you can get them new for ~$400). Great guns... the Scandium and titanium are not worth the extra cost compared to aluminum guns.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - I would steer clear of an ankle holster for anything other than a second/backup gun. While good for seated access (like in your car or at a desk), ankle holsters prevent you from drawing your sidearm while moving - a potentially fatal weakness of this carry method.

My wife (who is petite) likes her Ruger LCP in a belly band. With a baby to carry around, and being around children (and their parents) a lot, this discreet gun and carry method works well for her.

There are so many choices in guns and carry methods that it would be hard for us to really give suggestions without you narrowing down the choices a bit. A great deal will be determined by your wardrobe, lifestyle, tolerance for being "outed," and etc.

I will agree that the Cornered Cat web site is a great place to start - for women and men alike.

Try as many different guns and holsters as you can. Enjoy the search!
    I'm so glad I asked you guys for advice. I hadn't even considered not being able to move while drawing or that I would need both hands lift up my pants leg and draw. Seeing as how I have an 11 month on my hip on a regular basis, one handed draw is a definite must. Thanks for the insight

I'm a jeans and tee/tank type gal so it seems like carrying IWB or OWB will work best for me. Seems like a smaller handgun with a belly band would be a good investment. My Judge is great and I hope to find something that works well to conceal it but I'm thinking something smaller is in order too.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    If you don't like the weight of the Judge, you probably won't be any happier with the SP101 which Ruger lists at 25-28 oz. depending on the model. I suggest an airweight S&W like the 642 or 442. I would not go with the scandium versions for shootability.

As for how women address carrying - have you checked out corneredcat.com or Lima's (Limatunes) posts and youtubes (Limalife). They have some really good info for women who carry.
    Oh, I definitely like the weight of the Judge - it just didn't feel very secure in an ankle holster. Now that I've realized ankle carry is not for me that makes things easier. I don't mind some extra weight in a handgun - I actually prefer it. We're going to a gun show this weekend so I can look around and see what feels good in hand. Like I need more options

VIP Member
    If you are good with the weight of the Judge, you will probably like the Ruger SP101 or the S&W 640. Both are steel framed guns and weigh in the same neighborhood of the Judge. Both are also .357 as well. I prefer the 640 because the hammer is enclosed and can, therefore, not snag on anything.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Bodyguard 380

Which ever gun you choose, try before you buy. You don't want to go through the process of picking the right gun then finding out it's not for you after shooting a couple boxes of ammo.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator
    There are a lot of options out there. If you like revolvers, thats fantastic. There are some great options. The S&W J frame has been the gold standard for a self defense handgun for a long, long time. There are plenty of models to choose from, with different weights, materials, barrel lengths and hammer options. I know you said you don't mind a little heft to the gun, and thats good. But, I caution you to not discount the weight factor. It will come into play with your carry and holster options. I think a fine balance between heavy and ridiculous light weight is the S&W airweights. They are light enough to keep your options open, yet have enough heft and inexpensive to purchase to boot.
    Good luck, and we're here to help. Don't be shy, we love to talk guns.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well if you already like revolvers...You have a great start. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 340 and love it. It is a bit heavy on recoil though. But my primary is a Glock 23 and the J Frame is an occasional gun for when my two big autos just wont work. If I had to carry a revolver as my only handgun it would be one of two options a S&W 640 or a Ruger SP101...both in .357 magnum. You can carry heavy 38s or any flavor of 357 if you wish. Welcome to the forum.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links