Help me pick a smaller EDC? - Page 3

Help me pick a smaller EDC?

This is a discussion on Help me pick a smaller EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger LCP....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help me pick a smaller EDC?

Ruger LCP.

VIP Member
    I'm kind of partial to Ruger revolvers. The SP101 is a good choice, or if you can find one an older model speed six or security six snubbie makes a great carry gun. As to a semi auto, my wife carries a Kahr CW9 and loves it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Exactly.. 442 sounds about right.
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

For a revolver, I'd add my vote on the Ruger SP101 in .357...it's a tank and it's easy to carry.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In addition to the above smart advice you're getting, let me emphasize the importance of the holster/carry system you select. It surprised me to discover that a good holster (IWB/OWB) can easily approach and breeze past $100.

Not only that, but in my case I needed to buy several holsters for each of my carry weapons so I can opt for what I need based on what I'm wearing or which gun I'm taking along.

The difference between a cheap holster and a high-quality one is astonishing. A real gun belt is a must for waist carry, and a pocket holster is important too.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Another vote for Ruger LCR .357. I carry with Federal Personal Defense .357 loads and find it to be VERY manageable and accurate while still being comfortable to carry and easy to conceal.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    In addition to the above smart advice you're getting, let me emphasize the importance of the holster/carry system you select. It surprised me to discover that a good holster (IWB/OWB) can easily approach and breeze past $100.

Not only that, but in my case I needed to buy several holsters for each of my carry weapons so I can opt for what I need based on what I'm wearing or which gun I'm taking along.

The difference between a cheap holster and a high-quality one is astonishing. A real gun belt is a must for waist carry, and a pocket holster is important too.
    In addition to the holster(s), don't forget a good gun belt. Until you try it, you will not believe the difference a gun belt makes in comfort and concealability. A good holster is important too, but a gun belt is its partner.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    In addition to the holster(s), don't forget a good gun belt. Until you try it, you will not believe the difference a gun belt makes in comfort and concealability. A good holster is important too, but a gun belt is its partner.

With the two above......

I had to search a bit, but I found it - MM's post about how she carried the Judge:

Help a newbie trying to decide how to best concealed carry?

A Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake:

Sourdough Pancake

Which, on its commercial page, out-linked to a Gunblast review - Smith & Wesson Model 25 .45 Colt Mountain Gun - which contains a good picture of an OWB wear of this holster/gun combo, albeit on a man.

I'm wondering, from looking at that picture, whether or not MM's chosen belt may be stiff enough to properly cinch that gun (and holster) up against her body (which, as a woman, has a different shape) - and also whether if, speaking purely quantitatively, that particular holster design offers enough stability in and of itself, based on the positioning of the belt-loops?

Looking at the Big Dog offerings from Rocky at Pure Kustom as a point of comparison it seems that his holsters has (or at least has the capability for) the belt to be positioned higher, perhaps aiding in capturing the pistol/holster to the body?

But no matter what, I am definitely in-line with the thinking of these two members above.

The belt's the foundation, and the holster, an absolute must.

It's just that with a woman's body and women's clothing, they face even more challenges in finding the right carry gear.

I have a S&W 432 that I sometimes carry and like very much. It's an airweight J-frame in 32H&R mag. In terms of caliber, I'd rather have the .32H&R than a 380ACP, and I also get one more shot compared to a .38 caliber J frame.

Cool

My wife's carry gun. S&W 638. Pachmayr Compac Grips.

photo.jpg
    Click to enlarge......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Here's an old geezer take on it.

You might really like the Colt Detective Special very best of all. Compact enough for ankle carry, it's steel frame soaks up recoil a bit better than any of the light J-Frame Airweight Smith & Wesson models with their aluminum alloy frames. The Detective Special is scarcely larger than a J-Frame Smith & Wesson but holds 6 rounds of .38 Special goodness to the J-Frame's 5 rounds (Ruger SP 101 holds 5 rounds as well). A Detective Special can easily handle the various +P loads if those are chosen for personal defense. Detective Specials are easy to shoot with great accuracy too. The classic Detective Special is in a size/weight/capacity niche all to itself and the revolvers are high quality through and through. Though discontinued a little over 15 years ago Colt made lots of them and they are readily found on the auction sites like GunBroker and do turn up in gun shops pretty regularly. Your friendly local FFL holding dealer could order one for you. Don't let "discontinued" dissuade you. They are sturdy and trouble-free. The Detective Special is sort of like a classic Harley Davidson, retaining value and interest without dripping oil all over the place.

While there are a number of more esoteric variations, most may be found in one of two styles. Until 1973 they came with small bag-shaped grips and exposed ejector rods. After 1973 they came with larger grips and shrouded ejector rods. Mechanics are exactly the same, only appearance is slightly different.

Here's my 1966 Detective Special visiting a friend's mid 1970s Detective Special a couple of years ago.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Smith's and Lady FIST's

Another welcome from neighboring NW Florida!

Lots of good suggestions already on a more practical EDC. All choices are somewhat a compromise and ultimately only you can decide for you after testing them. As for where to start looking I come down on the S&W #60/640 side around 21 oz. They are small enough to carry well but heavy enough to shoot reasonably well. The Ruger 101, slightly heavier, is also an excellent product and the difference is more a personal than substantive factor all arguements to the contrary. As you go to lighter weights the recoil factor goes up rather rapidly.

Take a look at the FIST line of holsters designed to accomodate a lady's shape.FIST, Inc.. Scroll down to the "Lady FIST" link. While you are there also look at their gun belt. If you are a jeans-belt person there is no reason you can not carry OWB which is more comfortable and accessable than ankle or belly band.

Holsters are also a personal thing. Petite short waisted ladies frequently prefer to carry crossdraw rather than strong side because strong side puts the gun butt too close to the armpit to allow a reasonable draw. It is also more concealable as it lays the gun butt beside the "lady profile" so it blends right in. If you shop the petite section give it some consideration.

Enjoy your new adventure in personal safety and peace of mind!

If you had mentioned the cost of a good holster + belt combo before I started researching, I would have been very cynical. I'm already in right at $100 for the holster and holster accessories I ordered. A family member has loaned me a gun belt and I'm looking around for something in the mean time. I'm sure I'll end up with multiple holsters considering I haven't even received my first one and I already have a wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    With the two above......

I had to search a bit, but I found it - MM's post about how she carried the Judge:

Help a newbie trying to decide how to best concealed carry?

A Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake:

Sourdough Pancake

Which, on its commercial page, out-linked to a Gunblast review - Smith & Wesson Model 25 .45 Colt Mountain Gun - which contains a good picture of an OWB wear of this holster/gun combo, albeit on a man.

I'm wondering, from looking at that picture, whether or not MM's chosen belt may be stiff enough to properly cinch that gun (and holster) up against her body (which, as a woman, has a different shape) - and also whether if, speaking purely quantitatively, that particular holster design offers enough stability in and of itself, based on the positioning of the belt-loops?

Looking at the Big Dog offerings from Rocky at Pure Kustom as a point of comparison it seems that his holsters has (or at least has the capability for) the belt to be positioned higher, perhaps aiding in capturing the pistol/holster to the body?

But no matter what, I am definitely in-line with the thinking of these two members above.

The belt's the foundation, and the holster, an absolute must.

It's just that with a woman's body and women's clothing, they face even more challenges in finding the right carry gear.
    When I ordered the Sourdough Pancake, I also got the optional IWB straps and hammer strap so I can try IWB carry too. I'm not very concerned with women's clothing limiting my ability to properly conceal since I can easily make or alter clothing. Right now I'm working on a hybrid belly band - it will mostly be made of wide elastic but the holster section will be linen or nylon to support the weight of the Judge. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I'm actually starting to think that the Judge as an EDC might not be so bad. I would still like something smaller for those days when a larger handgun isn't the right option, but for my needs the Judge is perfect. I've looked over all of the suggestions and I'm having a blast window shopping. Thanks and keep 'em coming please

I love carrying my LC9, and the 442/642 are great options as well.

Women's clothing do not make it easy, but someone already suggested that Limalife and Faliaphotography are great starting places. A few things I have learned from these women over the past few months:

1. Vests, cardigans, and jackets are great for concealing. I keep one in the car for when I need to stop by the grocery store on the way home since I can't carry at work.
    2. Having a variety of holsters and firearms is very valuable. There are some days when I need to carry off body and having my 442 in a carry purse is just right for me.
    3. A good bra helps! With correct posture I feel comfortable concealing my LC9 in a loose t-shirt and jeans.

Shop around for the right belt and holster. A contoured belt will be better for a woman's body, and you don't want the holster to ride too high or you'll be getting poked in the ribs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links