Help me pick a smaller EDC? - Page 4

Help me pick a smaller EDC?

This is a discussion on Help me pick a smaller EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At 15oz the Kahr PM9 compares to the S&W J frames. It's thinner with more capacity in a slightly more effective caliber. The trigger is ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help me pick a smaller EDC?

VIP Member
    At 15oz the Kahr PM9 compares to the S&W J frames. It's thinner with more capacity in a slightly more effective caliber. The trigger is better, and autos are easier to reload. Your Judge will make a nice house gun, when secured away from prying fingers in a quick access safe. I like the SP-101 for its ruggedness, heft, and power, but more weight will limit carry options. Many of my gal students find a belly band quite comfortable with a light semi or revolver, once they position it properly. If dollars are dear, you might consider Kel-Tec's PF9. I Just keep buying guns and holsters until I find the perfect fit, then I keep buying guns and holsters in case something better comes along.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

My wife loves her S&W 642, nice balance of size, weight, and comfort for carry. Not a great range gun, but does great for CC.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryMama View Post
    If you had mentioned the cost of a good holster + belt combo before I started researching, I would have been very cynical. I'm already in right at $100 for the holster and holster accessories I ordered. A family member has loaned me a gun belt and I'm looking around for something in the mean time. I'm sure I'll end up with multiple holsters considering I haven't even received my first one and I already have a wish list.
    It's amazing, isn't it!

It's really a whole other kind of "fashion," for a whole different lifestyle.

When I ordered the Sourdough Pancake, I also got the optional IWB straps and hammer strap so I can try IWB carry too. I'm not very concerned with women's clothing limiting my ability to properly conceal since I can easily make or alter clothing. Right now I'm working on a hybrid belly band - it will mostly be made of wide elastic but the holster section will be linen or nylon to support the weight of the Judge. I'll let you guys know how that goes.
    That's right! You had talked of your other hobby! Good for you! Customization, experimentation, and first-hand testing will, I have all faith, lead to your perfect solution(s).

Who knows, maybe you'll be the next big name in holster/accessories. That would be a cool outcome.

I'm actually starting to think that the Judge as an EDC might not be so bad. I would still like something smaller for those days when a larger handgun isn't the right option, but for my needs the Judge is perfect. I've looked over all of the suggestions and I'm having a blast window shopping. Thanks and keep 'em coming please
    I really think that virtually any pistol worthy of the "self-defense" moniker should be able to be carried with discretion - and that the problem comes of gear as well as in the end-user being able to adopt/adapt gear (and/or his/her clothing and way of dress) to be able to achieve such a goal.

Now, that doesn't mean that I'm a proponent of "dressing to your gun." While ideal, I know from my personal lifestyle that such an ideal can not necessarily always be fulfilled/accomplished.

To a certain extent, we also end up with the carry guns we carry because they "fit" our lifestyle.

Carrying a firearm for self-defense demands many compromises - you just have to find what you're comfortable with.

If your looking into belly bands, be sure to check this one out for less than $40 at pistolwear.com, I've had my PT1 for over a year and love it. I use it on the few occasions when I have to dress up from my usual jeans and tshirt for business functions.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I suggest a Kahr CM9. Most of the benefits of the PM9 at a substantially lower price. I have PM9 and while it is my back up or deep carry gun, I love it.

I'm almost finished with a modified belly band and concealing the Judge in it is definitely possible. With a shirt that's not totally fitted, such as a t-shirt, there's not even an imprint.

DSCN0521sml.jpg
    With a good holster and belt, the Polymer Public Defender works fine for an EDC.
    I find it easier to carry than my G19

I'm almost finished with a modified belly band and concealing the Judge in it is definitely possible. With a shirt that's not totally fitted, such as a t-shirt, there's not even an imprint.
    Good stuff! That's impressive - that's a big gun, by anyone's standards.

Be sure that you get in front of a mirror and stretch, twist, and bend around a bit - you know, the type of things that we do to rescue our kids from awkward places (yeah, just two days ago, my daughter climbed so high that I could not get her - I'm 6-ft. even - ...luckily, she took a breath and calmed herself down, and worked out how to get down from that climber).

Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    DSCN0521sml.jpg
    With a good holster and belt, the Polymer Public Defender works fine for an EDC.
    I find it easier to carry than my G19
    Very nice. Do you mind sharing where you bought it? I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything iwb.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Good stuff! That's impressive - that's a big gun, by anyone's standards.

Be sure that you get in front of a mirror and stretch, twist, and bend around a bit - you know, the type of things that we do to rescue our kids from awkward places (yeah, just two days ago, my daughter climbed so high that I could not get her - I'm 6-ft. even - ...luckily, she took a breath and calmed herself down, and worked out how to get down from that climber).

Right now I'm wearing it around the house to test for comfort, fit and visibility. I'll start paying more attention when rescuing the kids. Thanks for the tip

I made mine from scratch, but
    Old Faithful Holsters
    sells a kit to make them. If you are at all handy, they are easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    I made mine from scratch, but
    Old Faithful Holsters
    sells a kit to make them. If you are at all handy, they are easy to do.
    Thank you

I'll start paying more attention when rescuing the kids. Thanks for the tip
    ^ No problem. Glad to be of-assistance.

Me and Anna (my 5 and 1/2 year-old) are frequent-fliers at the playgrounds around us.

I would *hope* that there are more armed parents - fellow good-guys and good-gals - around, too.

We're an Open-Carry State, but we live in an area where most of the population happen to be gun-shy. I'm already usually pretty stand-out on the playground, being a dad (and a tall, porky Chinese guy at-that ). I'm not looking to draw any more attention!

I would suggest the LCR in .38 +p or any of the S&W Jframes. The Smiths are on sale now and can be had for anywhere from $350 to as little as $329 which is what I paid for my 637. I would steer clear of the ones with the exposed hammers and go for the 442 or the 642, unless you think you'd like to shoot it single action. Either or would serve you well, and if weight is a serious concern, really look at the LCR; at 13.5 oz, it's a hard one to beat in that category. I absolutely love my LCR, it's my primary CC gun backed up by my S&W637.

Good luck, and have fun pistol shopping.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

MerryMama-I don't know if you're still checking for new replies since it's been 6+ months but I was just wondering what you ended up doing. Did you get a smaller EDC, or if you're still carrying the Judge, how/where? I started CC-ing a couple months ago and I'm also a tee/tank & jeans (mostly tanks) kinda girl; in cool weather I just toss a zip-up hoodie or sweater over my tanks. Since I was already wearing "cover garments" I've got fall/winter concealment pretty much covered-pun totally intended -but I have no idea what I'm going to do when the weather gets warmer. I've been thinking the sleeveless-style sweaters would work for spring, but at some point even those will probably be too much.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links