New Kel Tec PF 9, Happy so far.

This is a discussion on New Kel Tec PF 9, Happy so far. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tuesday I got a call from the gun shop and he said that he got in a PF 9 that we had been waiting for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Kel Tec PF 9, Happy so far.

New Kel Tec PF 9, Happy so far.

Tuesday I got a call from the gun shop and he said that he got in a PF 9 that we had been waiting for for quite some time. I guess the demand for the single stack 9's has been extremely high for the last few months. Anyway we go pick it up and the two extra magazines that he had in stock. He gave me such a good deal I slipped him an extra 40 bucks since I knew he wasn't going to count the cash.

That night I took it apart and clean it, checked it over and all. Everything looked good.

Yesterday we went to try it out. I brought a variety of ammo with me, some Magtech, PMC and Blazer Brass that folks had given me, along with some of my reloads. I also took a couple of 50 rd boxes of Speer GDHP 115's. I didn't want to risk the usual 124+P's we use in our other 9's. 1) because I don't think these guns are designed for much +P ammo, and 2) I want the wife to shoot the gun more than this one day.

The gun preformed well. We had two malfunctions. 1 FTF on the 5th or 6th magazine of Magtech and one light primer strike on a Speer GDHP. Both rounds chambered and fired when they were put back in the magazine and rerun. We shot probably 2-300 rds total out of the gun. I was happy with the performance for the first day out.

The gun shot well. It is a bit snappy, but that is to be expected with a gun that weighs all of 13 ounces empty. The trigger pull is long but with some work you can get used to it. The sights were dead on at 30 ft. when I did what I was supposed to do and didn't shoot low because of pulling the trigger. We shot a variety of paper targets, and steel plates. Steel plates at about 20/25 feet were no problem after getting used to the gun. At 70 ft or so, they were much more challenging and I was only able to hit 1-3 each time with a 7 rd magazine.

The gun does wear on your hand a bit. It wasn't too bad for me, but the wife complained a bit after she shot 100 or so rounds through it. I will have to look and see if I can smooth it out a bit where it was irritating her skin. I don't think these types of guns were designed with the idea of spending an entire day at the range.

This gun is intended to be a replacement for the TCP that the wife has been carrying. Nothing wrong with the TCP, just trying to get a bit more punch in her hand if she ever needs it. Besides, the TCP was bought for me, she liked the size of it and stole it from me shortly after I got it. She started carrying on her person when she picked up the TCP, so there were no arguements from me at the time. The PF 9 will also be carried on her person instead of the purse, so I am happy all the way around.

Overall, I think the PF 9 is a good gun and a good bargain for the money. We will have to see how it holds up over thousands and thousands of rounds. If you're looking for a reasonably priced slim, single stack 9, it definately should be considered.
    rhinokrk likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Glad you like it. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I'll be using my PF-9 as an EDC once I get my permit in-hand. It does take a little getting used to, especially the kick-back on the trigger reset, but I like mine just fine.

I might recommend picking up a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve to achieve a more comfortable hand-hold, & if you don't have them already, the magazine extensions are a must!

Enjoy!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

A while back I was looking for a PF9 and they were nowhere to be found. So I found and bought a P11, almost the same pistol it seems but with a bigger mag. I love it. Once you get used to the trigger pull and do a little filing on the end of the trigger, it is great to shoot. Is this a range gun, no. But I take it to the range every time I go and put some rounds through it. I have no reservations about carrying this as an EDC and do so from time to time.

Tim

I would like to get a PF9 some day. Congrats on your new purchase.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

congrats on the new Kel Tec pf-9..one of the lightest,compact 9mm's available..

check this out--

YouTube - ‪Kel-Tec PF9 Adventure!! Unboxing, Break In, & Shocking Results‬‏

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    One of the better values out there. Especially considering customer service.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

PF9s are better then a lot of people give them credit for. I also agree about getting the Hogue, Jr (fit over grip and use razor blade to slice any lap-over at bottom). Break it down and use a buff wheel with a Dremel on the feed ramp (or sandpaper it). Also take some fine grit sandpaper and smooth over all the mold lines (especially inside trigger guard and trigger). Don't bother with the pinky rest on the magazine as it puts uneven pressure on magazine during firing and will cause magazine to drop out of weapon (if you contact Kel-tec about this issue they will send free of charge a new magazine release and follower, but you'll probably want to stick with the flush base anyway).

I have put the better part of 400 rounds thru mine without a FTF or FTE, but I do know others who have had some issues. Adjustment of grip eliminates most problems and/or switching ammo. I keep Hornady XTP 147gr in mine and it eats them like skittles (actually my avatar is of a round that was shot thru the PF9 that I wanted to see the spread). And Kel-Tec customer service is among the best I have ever dealt with.

The PF9 is light, accurate, and goes bang! every time I pull the trigger. Workmanship could be better, but for @$300 it does the job better then I expected. I keep it in my Jeep for many reasons, among them being in a shooting situation it's going bye-bye to lock-up and the loss is easier to swallow (I'm paranoid as hell over losing my Baer Custom Carry this way, so I never carry it and it's now a safe Queen).

While I prefer a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry (and I have hopes that Kimber will fix their new Solo), the PF9 should be owned by everyone as a small, light, service caliber pistol that's inexpensive and perfect for keeping in those places where you might hesitate to keep another handgun (boat, ATV, garage, truck, wherever).
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Enjoy the PF9. I will be carrying mine all weekend.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    enjoy. but a range gun it ain't, as you said. i like my p11 since i got one long age--the 1st week they came out and its been back to the factory a few times in 15 or so years. ua ask for a spring and they say send it--it comes back with so many new parts i think i got a new gun and an extra mag. good people they are.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I have a P11 that is very reliable but I am not that accurate with it. I recently picked up a Ruger LC9 that is about the same size as a PF-9, but a few ounces heavier. It is a great gun to shoot. The PF-9's are hard to find, and I am sure that you will enjoy yours.

Enjoy it! I enjoy the fact that I have mine in my pocket right now.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Excellent review farronwolf.

I've been spending quite some time considering getting the PF-9 for myself.

I would recommend for routine range time that your wife shoot with a pair of shooters gloves to go easier on her hand. Obviously she can handle it without gloves for carrying and self defense purposes, but for days at the range shooting over 100 rounds, I'm sure some gloves would help tame it a bit for her. Especially from any rough spots on the grips.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

how can you tell if you have a newer model of PF9? i read somewhere that the newer models have a metal mag catch? is this correct?

Kel-Tec started offering the metal mag releases as replacements in first part of 2008 (Feb?) and on their production models at same time frame. Easiest way to tell from the plastic releases to the aluminum releases (other then the obvious ) is the metal releases have like a half circle pattern while the plastic releases had straight line type pattern. Can't tell you at what serial number point the new releases were offered and since Kel-Tec were offering the metal releases for free to owners of older models, just because you see a metal release doesn't mean it's a newer model. But for three years now the metal releases have been in the PF9s so your chances are good if you see one it's a newer model.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links