I just shot the most amazing gun I've ever shot - Kimber Tactical Pro 9mm...

This is a discussion on I just shot the most amazing gun I've ever shot - Kimber Tactical Pro 9mm... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some guns are shooters. It's hard to identify the specifics, but when you shoot it, you know something exceptional happening. Maybe it's the synergistics between ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just shot the most amazing gun I've ever shot - Kimber Tactical Pro 9mm...

Senior Moderator

I just shot the most amazing gun I've ever shot - Kimber Tactical Pro 9mm...

Some guns are shooters. It's hard to identify the specifics, but when you shoot it, you know something exceptional happening. Maybe it's the synergistics between the shooter and the gun, maybe the gun is just easier to shoot, maybe the trigger is phenomenal some how, whatever it is, I epxerienced that today!

Because of how well I liked my Kimber Pro Carry and Tactical Pro, both .45s, and because .45 ammo is so expensive, and because I shoot a lot, 6250 so far this year, I decided I might need to shoot more 9mm, but I wanted the Tactical Pro II platform - enter the Kimber Tactical Pro II in 9mm!

But wow, try to find one! Two local dealers quoted me 4 - 6 months and $100 more than current price. Bummer! Well, until I ran across Cove Creek Outfitters. Some how they had just received one about a week ago, still had the current price and was willing to ship for a mere $20. There's no way I could beat that locally, even with the shipping and transfer fee, the local tax 9.25% would be even more.

When I explained this to Shooter's Depot, they volunteered to transfer it for $20 total - background check and all.

I got to shoot it for the first time today. It was nothing less than an amazing experience from the first shot to the 150th. Every shot fired the first try, every case ejected without issue, none of the MIM parts broke, the sights didn't fall off, it didn't rust, etc. almost perfect, save one issue. It just did not like to lock back after the last round. The Tripp mags will fix that though and I would have bought them regardless of gun brand, etc. So on to accuracy - uncanny!

Here's the first shot out of the gun, cold. I should have 'dressed' the hit a bit as some paper tore away from the hole at the bottom making the hole look bigger. You'll see a close up in the second pic.

IMG_0150 by ron.0000, on Flickr

Well, I wanted to get the gun in at least one pic so the first one is kind of far off; here's a close up of the first and second shot:

IMG_0153 by ron.0000, on Flickr

And, next, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd shots, and remember these are the first three shots out of the gun:

IMG_0155 by ron.0000, on Flickr

Well, we can have a good day and a good target, but can we do it more than once? Well here's a couple of pics of five consectutive shots on my 3rd target, still 3 yds. The second target was good, but much faster shooting and different ammo.

IMG_0160 by ron.0000, on Flickr

Same pic, just compared to a dime:

IMG_0161 by ron.0000, on Flickr

The gun itself:
    Well, it's pretty much a Tactical Pro II just like my .45. The 'black' on the frame of the 9mm is not quite as black as my .45, but it's pretty close. As with my other two Kimbers, everything is right on the button, fit and finish, save the trigger, and it is nothing short of phenomenal. It has the slightest creep just before break - most might not even notice it. I am convinced when I break it down and put real lube on it, that very slight creep will go away.

I'll be surprised if the trigger break measures 4 lbs. I haven't measured it yet, but from the first time I dry fired it, I knew it was on the low end of the 4-5 lbs Kimber designs for.

The sights are dead on! I used a combat sight pic and the bullets went right where the sights were indexed. I just don't see how they get them aligned so precise.

The light recoil makes this gun an even greater pleasure to shoot. I know we think, sure you've got an all steel 1911 and they're heavy and soak up a lot of recoil. But, the Tactical Pro II 9mm has a Aluminum alloy frame and only weighs 28 oz with an empty mag. I know that's heavier than most polymer guns, but it's actually lighter than a Sig 229. Plus, if we take away an ounce or maybe two ounces for the empty mag, that would bring the actual gun weight down to 26 oz - only about 4 oz heavier than comparably sized polymers - not bad at all.

I don't believe I have ever been so pleased with the performance of a handgun!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Yea, right 3 yds. I don't believe it. You should just send me the gun so I can verify it independently.

I have not been a big fan of Kimbers, mostly due to others concerns/complaints, as I have never owned one. However it seems as you are having great experiences with them, and they are worth every bit that you have paid for them. Congrats. Maybe if I hear more of this type stuff I will chance it one day and and one to the fold.

PM me if you need the address for independent testing. LOL.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

GM
    That sound very good; thanks for sharing! Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Moderator
    Gee, fannonwolf, you'd really verify it for me - what a guy! LOL!

Well, you asked for it - more stuff like this, that is. From a post on the 1911/Kimber forum, entitled, "I finally broke it":

"Thought I'd share this with those of you who have had less than favorable experiences with their KIMBER or KIMBER CS.

On May 28th of of this year I was at my local range shooting my TLE/RL like I do every weekend. I carry this gun every day at work while on patrol and it's also my SWAT gun. I've had this gun since April 2004 and it HAD the external extractor. Well, at round 143,519 my extractor came out of the slide. Hmmmmm. Well I found the extractor, took the slide apart and put the extractor and spring back in. At round 143,526 it came out again. well this ended my range session and I picked up the extractor and went home.

Monday morning I called KIMBER and told them what happened and was instructed to send the gun in. I got a call from CS on Monday June 5th and a very polite and knowledgeable gentleman told me that the reason that my extractor came out was because the back end of the extractor groove as well as the hole for the extractor spring, had cracked thusly losing the tolerances needed to keep it in place or whatever.

He then asked me how many rounds I had shot through the gun and when I told him he literaly gasped and asked me if I was serious. I told him that I would be happy to fax him a copy of my log book which details every single shooting session I've had with this thing, noting all, if any issues encountered with not only the gun but the ammo as well. He asked why I kept such detailed records and I informed him that having been both a military and SWAT sniper made it a habit. Well he went on to tell me that the slide would be replaced free of charge. Great! He also said that outside of a little above average wear on the slide rails, the frame was in surprisingly good shape considering the high round count. He said that the gun would be shipped out by the end of the week.

Today I got another call from the same guy and he told me that there would be a delay in getting my gun back. What?????? he explained that some of the folks in the engineering department and the custom shop wanted to have a look at the gun and for my patience I would recieve all new parts excluding the frame. Umm, ok, I'm on vacation anyways.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

Today I got another call from the same guy and he told me that there would be a delay in getting my gun back. What?????? he explained that some of the folks in the engineering department and the custom shop wanted to have a look at the gun and for my patience I would recieve all new parts excluding the frame.

Now, that is what I call "a good CS"
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

You sir are one of the few LEO's that actually practice with their equipmant,That is an amazing round count for one gun,Keep up the good work and try to pass your passion and commitment on to the new guys coming onboard
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You sir are one of the few LEO's that actually practice with their equipmant,That is an amazing round count for one gun,Keep up the good work and try to pass your passion and commitment on to the new guys coming onboard
    Duk man - that was a quote from somebody else - my bad; I can see how that looked like it was me. T'was not - pretty impressive - almost too good to be true kinda stuff.

VIP Member
    Holy bullseye batman, that is some good shooting!

I don't have the proof, but I just got back from shooting a (borrowed) G36 that put the first two in one hole, the third opened it slightly, and then I started to wander it around and shoot like I normally do. But I believe it would have continued to drill the same hole if I had allowed it to.

It's interesting - the new interest that you have in Kimbers these days!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my stainless gold match shoots the same way ( even after 47K rounds)---have to be there and see it to believe it!!

though mines from '98 and yours is new; its nice to see Kimber making good on their equipment again.
    shoot well and prosper
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    my stainless gold match shoots the same way---have to be there and see it to believe it!!

though mines from '98 and yours is new; its nice to see Kimber making good on their equipment again.
    shoot well and prosper
    It's kinda like I alluded to in the op, it's hard to describe, but you feel it when you shoot it, regardless of what the 'it' is.

One thing I did notice and have before with my Pro Carry, is the ease of shooting, there's just a characteristic I can't seem to put in words. I shoot a lot; and a lot of different guns; this is just a phenomenon for me.

I've done the same thing - kinda - with other guns, but not with the ease. Even at 7 yards, I was readily and easily getting X rings without doing slow fire.

I one has to keep in mind, I'm excited so maybe that's a bit like a high, but I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    there's just a characteristic I can't seem to put in words.

let me help ua here---

' i pick up the gun and it fits my hand as if it was a part of me;

' i see a place i want the bullet to go...and yes, its there'
    ---> its a zen thing...i kid you not.

now, on to point shootin; that gun fits you too good to just play aimin games with!!
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member
    Exciting reading. Sounds like fun.

Will the honeymoon be over when you have to clean it?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Glad you like it. I love the 1911 and have owned quite a few over the years, but never one chambered for 9mm. I would imagine a 9mil on a Govt. would be pretty slick, with almost zero recoil. Maybe I am just too much of a purist; can't get past my love of the .45 auto.

I think you identified the specifics just fine, that was a quality report.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Exciting reading. Sounds like fun.

Will the honeymoon be over when you have to clean it?
    Well, I am having fun right now!

Good question about the honeymoon, it's likely that the 'new' will fade in time as all do. But this comes at a time when I thought I was over the 1911 thing. I'm even in conflict with my long held position that there's nothing better than a high cap 9mm.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Glad you like it. I love the 1911 and have owned quite a few over the years, but never one chambered for 9mm. I would imagine a 9mil on a Govt. would be pretty slick, with almost zero recoil. Maybe I am just too much of a purist; can't get past my love of the .45 auto.
    Certainly my affection for the .45 ACP has been re-kindled. It kinda took a hit when I started pricing .45 ACP ammo. So, I had the thought, shoot 9mm more and carry the .45 ACP. Time will tell how that plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    ...I think you identified the specifics just fine, that was a quality report.
    Thanks Matthew, I appreciate that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links