XD for HD

This is a discussion on XD for HD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First a little background. I live in Appleton, WI and for about the past month a serial flasher has been operating in our area and ...

Thread: XD for HD

XD for HD

First a little background. I live in Appleton, WI and for about the past month a serial flasher has been operating in our area and some surrounding areas. He has been knocking on windows and when women look he starts masturbating. He is also suspected of a sexual assault. This frightens me since my mother is home during the day by herself.

I've decided to teach my mother and the rest of the family to shoot. I have a .22 pistol to train them with and a 20g 870. The 870 is fine for HD for myself and my father, but my sister and mother are both under 5'3" and are afraid of the recoil, so it makes no sense to leave that as their go-to gun if they're afraid to use it.

Also, the fact that there is no real place to conceal a long arm in the downstairs of our home, since there are usually friends who have their small children around. I like the XD-9 for the HD role due to low recoil and high cap.

Now for the questions. What is the safety? Which length would be best 4" or 5"? What's the best way to mount it and keep it stored in a metal cabinet?

Sorry for being so long. Thanks for the help.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

There are two main safeties, the grip safety, and the small trigger safety. However they are both "passive" safeties. By this I mean it's not like a 1911 where there is a switch to turn off. You grab and shoot. The real safety for this weapon and other weapons that are similar to this one (Glocks, Kahrs, etc.) is between your ears. They must, and I emphasize MUST keep their finger off the trigger until they are ready to destroy something. As for the length, I would probably go with 5 inches for a home defense gun because there is no need to conceal. A 5 inch barrel also gives you more velocity, and a greater sight radius, so aim is often much better. Also, since it is a home defense gun, I would also reccommend night sights and a touch activated rail light since they are gonna be for the ladies in your life. Nothing helps your aim better then being able to see your target and sights. 9mm is a great round (with the right ammo) and I carry one with 124 gr. +p Gold Dots very often. As far as the mounting goes, I'm not sure. I usually keep my .45 on my bedside table, and my Kahr under my pillow, so I'm not really sure, but I'm sure someone here can help you with that. But the XD is a great gun, and easy to use (point and click interface), and reliable. Its a good choice.

Hope I helped, and sorry for the lengthy post.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I felt it important to remind you that an exposed penis is neither a deadly weapon or a reason for deadly force.

A longer barrel will provide the longer sight radius (easier to aim accurately) and velocity, and usually more weight (translating to less felt recoil), as has been covered. On the downside, it will also provide "more gun" for an assailant to grab onto when he is attempting a disarm.

For storage, look into GunVaults (www.gunvault.com). They are also sold by a lot of retailers for less than you'd get them from the mfg.'s site. Wal-Mart's web site also has a "DAC SportSafe" which is a cheaper version (about $55 vs. $100-110) but does pretty much the same thing. If you prefer non-electronic models, look into R&D Enterprises (www.handgunsafe.com) and V-Line (www.vlineind.com). The V-Line ones are sold by other retailers as well.

If they get one, make sure they memorize the lock code and practice it so they can open it quickly and reliably.

Some other points:

1. Make sure they are strong enough to rack the slide on an automatic. Also teach them some basic malfunction clearance procedures.

2. One of the best ways to keep a "home defense" gun out of the wrong hands is to wear it while at home (in a proper holster), and then put it into one of the aforementioned lockboxes at night. This will require a greater commitment on everyone's part, but may be the best choice depending on circumstances. Most likely you'd have to select a different firearm though, something smaller and lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil
    I felt it important to remind you that an exposed penis is neither a deadly weapon or a reason for deadly force.
    +1 In the case that Blue brings to point, deadly force is NOT an option. Tread lightly or something much worse than seeing some moron's penis could be a sad reality!

IF this extended beyond just a "flashing" and deadly force WAS needed to end a confrontation, the next question for your family should be this :

Can the person(s) take someone else's life in self-defense?

That's the question that has to be answered by anyone who is considering having a firearm for self-defense has to answer for themself. If your family member(s) cannot answer an absolute "yes" without hesitation, and mean it, than a firearm in their hands is more of a problem than a solution.

A firearm means absolutely nothing without the resolve to USE it if it is needed. You did not mention in your original post whether or not your family members wanted to learn how to shoot or had the mindset to use said firearm to protect themselves if a DF situation were to arise....
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup
    +1 In the case that Blue brings to point, deadly force is NOT an option. Tread lightly or something much worse than seeing some moron's penis could be a sad reality!

IF this extended beyond just a "flashing" and deadly force WAS needed to end a confrontation, the next question for your family should be this :

Can the person(s) take someone else's life in self-defense?

That's the question that has to be answered by anyone who is considering having a firearm for self-defense has to answer for themself. If your family member(s) cannot answer an absolute "yes" without hesitation, and mean it, than a firearm in their hands is more of a problem than a solution.

A firearm means absolutely nothing without the resolve to USE it if it is needed. You did not mention in your original post whether or not your family members wanted to learn how to shoot or had the mindset to use said firearm to protect themselves if a DF situation were to arise....
    Absolutely. This person is a nuisance, not a threat until he exhibits (sorry, no pun intended) the means to be a threat. I wouldn't want the person around either, but I can't shoot someone like him.
    As your family members are not firearms people, I'd add that perhaps a revolver of some kind would be a better choice, but that is only my opinion.

Thanks for the points that

were brought up. I agree that a flasher is not the reason to shoot, but also point out that he is suspected of a rape, and that exposing yourself is usually first step. These things do tend to escalate once exposing themselves to these women no longer "works." Definately for the worse.

I do have to acknowledge the fact that I am not 100% sure if they are willing to kill in personal defense, but I do know they are willing if it will save someone else's life.

I thought of a revolver first, but the double action trigger pull is a little to heavy for my mother to reliably operate after a few shots, plus the fact of having to reload after a few shots, and the physical act of reloading being difficult for someone not used to it.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I'd suggest possibly a taser and pepper spray......
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever
    I do have to acknowledge the fact that I am not 100% sure if they are willing to kill in personal defense, but I do know they are willing if it will save someone else's life....
    That's where the grey area comes into play.

99% sure doesn't cut it in todays climate. You are either comfortable with taking a life or not. There's no in-between. You have to be 100% positive on taking a life to preserve yours or the ones you love. No exceptions.

It may sound harsh, but that's life. Life is harsh. If the family members in question cannot face the ideal of gunning someone down in self-defense, risking everything in order to save the lives of themself or others they love, than a firearm is not the answer.

It's 100% or it's nothing. I'm not trying to cut you off at the knees and I truly believe that you mean the best for your family. I entirely sympathize with your situation. With that being said though, unless the people you are trying to protect are willing to protect themselves without second thoughts or sympathy, than a firearm may not be the answer.

Something to throw around......
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Not so deadly force.

If you feel that this guy is a physical threat to your loved ones I understand your desire to arm them. If, in fact, he is more of a nuisance, maybe a CO2 pellet gun would be in order. I'm pretty sure a ruptured testicle would make anybody pull their pants up and run. Good luck.

Links