Thats right, I CARRY a 9MM.

This is a discussion on Thats right, I CARRY a 9MM. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After doing some tests with my friends G19 and seeing what a 9MM 124 g +P hollow point does, I know that I can trust ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Thats right, I CARRY a 9MM.

After doing some tests with my friends G19 and seeing what a 9MM 124 g +P hollow point does, I know that I can trust it to be my CCW. Im not going to post any pics...(You all know what a G19 gen 3 looks like).
    I traded my XD40 with whole bunch of goodies for a G19 brand new. Def need to get back into the glock kool aid of shooting, But the point im making here is that, I was once the guy who bashed the 9mm, and now Im saying before you bash it, see for yourself what it can do. Also keep in mind most charts on shootings, tests etc are FMJ. A 124 g gold dot +P hollowpoint will do what it was intended for.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Dude, modern defensive ammo has really narrowed the performance gap between the calibers. Not a fan of 9mm but I sure as heck wouldn't hesitate to carry one either.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Perfect blend of capacity and firepower
    RugerMak, joker1, XDM9mm and 1 others like this.

Hey, when its hot outside I carry a .380. No one who says a .380 wont work has let me shoot them yet to test it out.

You've picked a very good 9mm round to carry. I've got 3 9mms, but rarely carry any of them anymore. It will do the job fine if you put the shots where you are supposed to and I don't feel undergunned with any of my 9s. I have a XD40sc that I can shoot the eyes out with, so that is what I carry mostly. I just got a G30 .45ACP this week and as soon as I get some trigger time behind it I will probably carry it (if I can achieve the same level of accuracy with it as my 40). I think it comes down to what gun you shoot the best and can carry comfortably regardless of the caliber.
    RugerMak, joker1, Dragman and 1 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I too recently started carrying a 9mm, a S&W 5906. I do have other carry guns including a Kimber Pro-Carry in .45ACP and a S&W 3913 when I wear light clothing. I, however enjoy the 5906's high capacity of 18 rds (using Mec-Gar mag). Currently loaded with Remington Golden Sabres.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

There's nothing wrong with a 9x19mm for CCW. Personally, I prefer .40 S&W, and I carry a Glock 23, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry 9x19mm, and I still do every once in awhile in a Glock 19.

FWIW, the biggest reason most people believe 9x19mm isn't acceptable for carry is plain personal bias based on the size of the round. The fact is 9x19mm has killed more people than any other handgun caliber in history. It works!

EDIT: Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P is an excellent choice, by the way!
    RugerMak likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    Hey, when its hot outside I carry a .380. No one who says a .380 wont work has let me shoot them yet to test it out.
    Well, I don't want to get shot with a BB and/or pellet gun, but it doesn't make it good for self defense!

Honestly though, .380 ACP is acceptable for SD.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Moderator
    Dude, modern defensive ammo has really narrowed the performance gap between the calibers.
    ^
    Truth.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I normally carry my G-23...

But for a change of pace, I will carry my old Ruger P89 loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P...

I feel just as safe, and I practice equally with both weapons...

9mm is an excellent load...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Earlier this month, I purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19. So my carry options, Judge, Sig Mosquito, G 19. Obvious choice G 19. I'm using Winchester 147 GR TCMC for breaking (200 as of today) will carry Winchester Ranger 124 GR T-Series +P (25 rounds shot as of today).
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Cool

My Glock 19 was the first Glock I bought in 1994 and it is still in my carry rotation and yes it is loaded with 124 gr. +p Gold Dots.

I carry A Glock 23 more now but that's just me. I also carry a G-21 or G-36 depending on my mood at the time.

If the only Glock I had was the 19 and at one time it was I would feel completely comfortable and well armed.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

9 mm is fine by me. I carry a Beretta Px4 in 9mm or a DW .357mag most of the time, todays self defense round makes a world of difference.

Great choice of Glocks...congrats!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links