Ohh.. Shiny. Home Polishing

This is a discussion on Ohh.. Shiny. Home Polishing within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 479.jpg 488.jpg 491.jpg Did some home polishing on my .45acp EAA Witness. I know there is still some work to be done but overall I'm ...

Thread: Ohh.. Shiny. Home Polishing

Ohh.. Shiny. Home Polishing

479.jpg488.jpg491.jpg

Did some home polishing on my .45acp EAA Witness. I know there is still some work to be done but overall I'm very happy with the look of it. About $13 of fine sand paper with different grains and some nice metal Nev-r-Dull made it look pretty good. Took around 5 hours of polishing (and Seinfeld episode breaks) to get it where it's at today.
    *The all black bottom photo was the original photo
    Attached Images
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I liked the original black better, but as long as you like it.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

GM
    Good job

If I am not mistaking your Witness has a carbon steel slide, and you have polished off the oxide finish that protects the metal from rust. You might want to check flowing thread: American Classic 1911 Commander "modded"
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Unprotected metal will rust at some point...that's why manufacturers either blue, coat, or plate (chrome/nickel). Something to think about.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, my slide is carbon steel, and yes I did think about what would happen if I took off the blue-ing protective coat. I thought that if the slide showed any rust/pitting I would either have it professionally recoated (plated) or get a new slide. The Witness has interchangeable calibers from .22 to 10mm (part of the reason I went with it) but, if it does pit or rust you can all say "I told you so" and I'll be out $200 =(

Anyway, I think I did a half decent job and really like the look now. Thanks for all the response DC peeps :)
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    Thomas Jefferson

What the heck was you thinking? You've ruint a perfectly good gun... Didnt you take off some lettering too?...

I'd have that slide polished, and chromed ASAP!!!

Spuk!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I like it!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

GM
    Just for your information; rust can come very fast. When I say "fast" I am not talking about weeks or even days, I am talking about hours. If you click on the links below you can read about this problem; by the way, the PF-9's slide was still blued:

Rust?! Already?!?
    Kel Tec PF-9 Update

Once the slide gets pit rust you will have to refinish it in order remove all of the oxide/rust, otherwise it will come back again very fast. And if the pit has gotten too deep you will not get rid of it. I would make sure that I protect the metal with some product for corrosion protection, anti-rust. There are many good ones; I personally use Eezox - Eezox® Premium Gun Care - and Renaissance Wax - RENAISSANCE Microcrystalline WAX POLISH . Good luck
    Last edited by GM; June 12th, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

youngun: You're a better man than I am--- would hate to take sandpaper to any gun and expect good results. Then again, I always did find it hard to hit a nail straight!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I will be sure to update you all with in a week or so and share the results.. hopefully no pitting or rust bit if so I will be the first to say I messed up and take it to be professionally finished. Thanks for the positive ..and negaive lol.. feedback!
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Dont worry so much about what others think...its your gun, do what you want with it.

Guns are personal things and are meant to be customized. If you like it, thats really all that matters.

Got a bright shiny slide? Then wax it using a good car wax. That'll keep the rust knocked off of it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Dont worry so much about what others think...its your gun, do what you want with it.

Guns are personal things and are meant to be customized. If you like it, thats really all that matters.

Got a bright shiny slide? Then wax it using a good car wax. That'll keep the rust knocked off of it.
    Thanks HotGuns.. I am pretty proud of the work and the way it looks. Turned out the way that I had in mind. If all else fails, GM had a great suggestion with the DuraCoat. Its a great product and I will be sure to order it if pitting/rust occurs.
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    Thomas Jefferson

OK, I am not trying to start a war but am curious. Why would sand all the finish off? Is it just for looks? Personal preference?

I thought about getting a Bodyguard 380 and polishing the slide, but the idea just scares the crap out of me. lol. I believe the slide on a Bodyguard is stainless and melonite coated, though so rust proably wouldn't be an issue on that. If your slide is carbon steel, then you need to coat it with something, because it WILL rust. Do like HotGuns said and wax it. Also, I have a can of Barricade rust preventative. I only use it when storing guns for awhile, but it might be something for you to look into. You might be able to just spray it down every time you clean it and not have any problems. Either way, good luck and enjoy your shiny gun.

I was pretty worried before I started the polishing but figured why not..(Besides that I could be out $200 lol) It's something I had been wanting to do and actually turned out better than I expected. So far, 3 days in, not problems at all. The Nevr-Dull product keeps it pretty well protected and oiled. I check the slide daily b/c I'm a bit paranoid but don't seem to see anything of worry. A BG380 would be a simple job with that small of a slide I would think.
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    Thomas Jefferson

Links