Updated Sig P250 subcompact

This is a discussion on Updated Sig P250 subcompact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if anyone is looking to buy a P250 subcompact, but it appears that Sig has added a picatinny rail to the model. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated Sig P250 subcompact

Updated Sig P250 subcompact

I don't know if anyone is looking to buy a P250 subcompact, but it appears that Sig has added a picatinny rail to the model. While some may wonder what good a rail on a subcompact is, I have to admit it at least expands your options.

I looked up Sigs website and they haven't updated the site, but here's a look at what the new model looks like

SIG SAUER P250 Now With Optional Mini-Picatinny Rail | The Truth About Guns
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I love the P250 I got them in all three sizes. The rail on the sub compact doesn't really move me. The sub compact version is ok, my only gripe is the rounded trigger guard. I would have liked to have seen a flat trigger guard since I do stick my first finger on it.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have three 250s, compact 45 & 9mm and a subcompact 9mm. I love the 250 platform, but on the subcompact a rail would not make or break a deal. Some would say it might snag on a holster, I don't know about that. The subcompact was my favorite of the group, but lately I've been carrying the compact 45 more and more, and really leaning toward the compact as my preferred carry.

Some family pictures:

Two 9s

45 ACP compact

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Senior Moderator
    I have one and a half P250s: a single FCU and a full-size .45 and full size 9mm kits - GREAT guns! Seems like everytime somebody tries one they can't get over the buttery smooth, light trigger. And these things are selling big now.

With regard to the rail, apparently Sig has noticed that a lot of owners are cutting down a compact frame ($40) to fit a sub-compact slide and it looks great. You gain the Pic rails and two extra rounds I think it is.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I guess despite the hate that folks have for the p250 - Sig is still selling them and added a feature on these guns. I like the pistols a lot but still having problems with fast shots as the reset is too long with subsequent shots. this is my first DA trigger and I've grown to like it. I really like the modularity concept the 250 has. I've read that they might make a striker fired version and I've read but not seen one that has a thumb safety.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I have one and a half P250s: a single FCU and a full-size .45 and full size 9mm kits - GREAT guns! Seems like everytime somebody tries one they can't get over the buttery smooth, light trigger. And these things are selling big now.

With regard to the rail, apparently Sig has noticed that a lot of owners are cutting down a compact frame ($40) to fit a sub-compact slide and it looks great. You gain the Pic rails and two extra rounds I think it is.
    Was your trigger "buttery smooth and light" out of the box? Because the first thing that came to mind when I saw "Now available with optional picatinny rail" was "Ill wait on the one with the optional non crappy trigger". I tried one a the LGS gun shop a few weeks and thought it was pretty horrible,and that's coming from a guy who's primary is a wheel gun. Did you have trigger work done on yours or is it just a difference in trigger taste?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    I guess despite the hate that folks have for the p250 - Sig is still selling them and added a feature on these guns. I like the pistols a lot but still having problems with fast shots as the reset is too long with subsequent shots. this is my first DA trigger and I've grown to like it. I really like the modularity concept the 250 has. I've read that they might make a striker fired version and I've read but not seen one that has a thumb safety.
    I don't get about how fast is fast. I find the P250s ability for fast quality followup shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Was your trigger "buttery smooth and light" out of the box? Because the first thing that came to mind when I saw "Now available with optional picatinny rail" was "Ill wait on the one with the optional non crappy trigger". I tried one a the LGS gun shop a few weeks and thought it was pretty horrible,and that's coming from a guy who's primary is a wheel gun. Did you have trigger work done on yours or is it just a difference in trigger taste?
    The quality of the trigger system of the P250 is just your opinion. There are plenty of people on both sides of the fence. There are people who love the trigger such as myself, and their are people who hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    The quality of the trigger system of the P250 is just your opinion. There are plenty of people on both sides of the fence. There are people who love the trigger such as myself, and their are people who hate it.
    Thus the reason I specifically asked Tangle the question and even stated that it's quite possibly just a difference in trigger tastes...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Moderator
    I've had two P250s; both had buttery smooth and light (i.e. 6 lbs) out of the box. I haven't done a thing to either.

I'm not so sure this is a 'trigger taste' thing. My P250s had (sold one to a friend after he shot it), triggers smoother and lighter than my 686 revolvers. Sig got off to a rough start with the P250s. It's possible that the one you tried had some early trigger components in it. Guns manufactured as of December 2010 are supposed to have all the updates in them.

I found the P250 to be incredibly accurate as you can see here:

Senior Moderator
    I guess despite the hate that folks have for the p250 - Sig is still selling them and added a feature on these guns. I like the pistols a lot but still having problems with fast shots as the reset is too long with subsequent shots.
    The P250 didn't get much love when it was first introduced and I blame Sig entirely for that for introducing a gun before the bugs were out. But then check out the sticky threads - many manufacturers have done the same, and Glock isn't even stickied for the problems they had with the gen 4 G22.

The DAO trigger is different. It has the exact same weight and length of pull as a Sig DAK trigger in the long and light mode. People used to talk about the P250s long trigger pull as if it was longer than any other gun. The fact is, it is the same as the DAK, and very similar, yet a little different to a DA revolver trigger.

I think speed will come with acclimation to the trigger. I read a post of an LEO trainer that made the comment he could shoot it almost as fast as his Glock that he has shot a ton of bullets through.

...this is my first DA trigger and I've grown to like it. I really like the modularity concept the 250 has. I've read that they might make a striker fired version and I've read but not seen one that has a thumb safety.
    You know that's interesting. A lot of people shoot the P250 and warm up to the trigger almost immediately. It is different however, especially if one is acclimated to short, light trigger pulls. That doesn't mean they shoot it well immediately, it took me about 170 rounds before I could do what I was doing in the video I linked in the post above.

I guess we'll see in time about the striker fired; I heard that a long time ago. Haven't heard about a safety.

I've had two P250s; both had buttery smooth and light (i.e. 6 lbs) out of the box. I haven't done a thing to either.

I'm not so sure this is a 'trigger taste' thing. My P250s had (sold one to a friend after he shot it), triggers smoother and lighter than my 686 revolvers. Sig got off to a rough start with the P250s. It's possible that the one you tried had some early trigger components in it. Guns manufactured as of December 2010 are supposed to have all the updates in them.

I found the P250 to be incredibly accurate as you can see here:

You've convinced me to give them another look! I'm in the market for a compact 9.

Senior Moderator
    Rollo,

Keep this in mind: it's not like you pay your money and take your chances. Sig will stand behind the P250 100%. If you should encounter a problem, call them, they'll send/email you a UPS overnight shipping label, repair and update the gun, and return it to your doorstep - literally to your doorstep and it won't cost you a cent for any of it.

But, having said that, I'd be very surprised if you have any problems at this point in time. However, as far as that questionable trigger goes, I'd try to find another for comparison. If you're revolver oriented, you should pull the trigger and think. "Wow, now that's the way a DA trigger should feel."

Well, there is one problem. Once you see what all you can do with the P250, you may want to do some customizing. Remember the only part that's a 'gun' is the Firing Control Unit. All other parts, frames ($40) slide & barrel assemblies can be shipped directly to you without requiring an FFL. For example, let's say you get a sub-compact 9mm and decide it'd be nice to have a full size 9mm or maybe just a sub .357 sig. You order the kit for your caliber. Easily remove the FCU from the sub and drop it in the full size and there's your full size gun! It's that easy.

One caveat, the frame/slides for the 9mm, .40, and .357 sig interchange. They will not interchange with the .45 ACP. The FCU is the same but the .45 frame is larger.

I think I could swap the FCU from my .45 ACP fs to my 9mm fs faster than I can load the mag.

Rollo,

Keep this in mind: it's not like you pay your money and take your chances. Sig will stand behind the P250 100%. If you should encounter a problem, call them, they'll send/email you a UPS overnight shipping label, repair and update the gun, and return it to your doorstep - literally to your doorstep and it won't cost you a cent for any of it.

But, having said that, I'd be very surprised if you have any problems at this point in time. However, as far as that questionable trigger goes, I'd try to find another for comparison. If you're revolver oriented, you should pull the trigger and think. "Wow, now that's the way a DA trigger should feel."

Well, there is one problem. Once you see what all you can do with the P250, you may want to do some customizing. Remember the only part that's a 'gun' is the Firing Control Unit. All other parts, frames ($40) slide & barrel assemblies can be shipped directly to you without requiring an FFL. For example, let's say you get a sub-compact 9mm and decide it'd be nice to have a full size 9mm or maybe just a sub .357 sig. You order the kit for your caliber. Easily remove the FCU from the sub and drop it in the full size and there's your full size gun! It's that easy.

One caveat, the frame/slides for the 9mm, .40, and .357 sig interchange. They will not interchange with the .45 ACP. The FCU is the same but the .45 frame is larger.

I think I could swap the FCU from my .45 ACP fs to my 9mm fs faster than I can load the mag.
    Will the slide and FCU from the compact 9mm go on the sub compact frame? Kind of like the commander 1911?

Senior Moderator
    Will the slide and FCU from the compact 9mm go on the sub compact frame? Kind of like the commander 1911?
    Actually, that'd be the opposite of a commander 1911. You'd need a subcompact slide on a compact frame. The Commander is a full length grip with a 4-3/4" barrel - 3/4" shorter than the government model.

You see? You see what's already happening! I tried to warn you!

I haven't tried the compact slide on the sub frame, but I'm gonna say that it will work. I have installed the full-size slide on a compact frame and it works perfectly. Something tells me Sig planned it this way because the dust cover of the fs slide is long enough to overlap the shorter compact frame without a gap:

P250 fs slide w compact frame 0046 by ron.0000, on Flickr

and here's the full size for comparison:

P250 fs on fs frame 0044 by ron.0000, on Flickr

I have also, cut a fs frame ($40) back to the compact length and installed a compact slide on it. That is truly a commander size:

P250 Commander-0039 by ron.0000, on Flickr

Looks pretty neat doesn't it!

If that's not enough, you can get mags with adapters to adapt a full size mag to a compact grip and mags with adapters to adapt a compact mag to a subcompact grip.

Here's a compact with the adaptor and a fs mag:

P250 compact w_mag ext by ron.0000, on Flickr

It looks good, but I don't recommend this at all, here's why. this is what can happen when the mag is released say for a reload. Notice the adapter has caught on my hand, got cocked and prevented the mag from falling out.

P250 compact w_mag ext cu by ron.0000, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links