Should I...Ruger LCR..

Should I...Ruger LCR..

This is a discussion on Should I...Ruger LCR.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local gunshop has a Ruger LCR for $399 after a $50.00 mail in rebate. Is that a fairly good deal? Will this do anything ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Should I...Ruger LCR..

Should I...Ruger LCR..

A local gunshop has a Ruger LCR for $399 after a $50.00 mail in rebate. Is that a fairly good deal? Will this do anything my current SP101 won't do other than be half the weight?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Was that for the .38 or .357? It's a great deal if it's a .357 and I would call that a decent deal if it's a .38 , definitely not a steal. I have seen them at the gun shows here in TN go for $385 and that is without any rebate that might be happening.

That being said, the LCR is one of my favorite guns. I will have the .357 LCR someday.

If I didnt already have a S&W 340 I would be looking at a LCR for sure Ruger thought this out before they built the, The grips are great and they come ready for aftermarket front sights. Dont know how good a deal it is but shop around and you should get an idea.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

This is for the .38 Special model. My SP101 double action pull feels as light as the LCR trigger, but longer. The weight difference was quite amazing however. The front sight would definitely have to go, or be painted bright pink!

Will it do anything other than be half the weight of your (already perfect revolver) SP101?
    Why yes, it will make your wrist think, "I wish I was shooting the SP101."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love my SP101, it's just not as easy for me to conceal in the summer here in MN. I do have a great gun belt (A&G, Wilderness Tactical) and great OWB Holsters (Side Guard, Hays). I usually carry my LCP, but was always thinking a little more firepower wouldn't be bad.

I live in FL...I can carry the SP101 in an IWB holster with only a T-shirt (I do wear a 'wife beater' under the T)...doesn't seem to be a problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Being rather skinny, IWB is not comfortable at all. I've mainly quality IWB holsters and it's just not for me. I take it you are not a fan of the LCR? This certainly won't replace the SP101 in colder weather when I wear sweatshirts and jackets.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    if your skinny, put it in your pocket.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    if your skinny, put it in your pocket.
    put a SP101 in a pocket? o........k

I do know 1 person who would pocket carry his SP101 but he is 6'7 350lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    This is for the .38 Special model. My SP101 double action pull feels as light as the LCR trigger, but longer. The weight difference was quite amazing however. The front sight would definitely have to go, or be painted bright pink!
    I just recently installed the XS front sight on my LCR and I'm loving it. Hi Viz makes a front sight also.

In regards to the LCR vs the SP101 I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Yes they are both snubbies however they are very very different. I think you have already answered you own question as to what the LCR would do that the SP101 doesn't do. Both are great guns but obviously they are intended for very different needs.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I recently acquired an LCR in .357 mag. I too had the opportunity to purchase it in .38. I figure by buying the .357 I can practice shoot with .38's and carry with .357 or .38 +P's. It's nice to have options. Both models, the LCR and KLCR(.357 version) are identical in overall size with the KLCR being a tad heavier. That being said, I had been pocket carrying a S&W 342 Ti. .38 loaded with +P's. It is significantly lighter than the KLCR, thus I have pretty much ruled out pocket carry for the KLCR and am waiting for my Don Hume IWB holster. I really love the look and feel of the KLCR and the trigger is amazing.

Bought a LCR .357 while my .327 SP101 was being customized( still is, in fact!) and have already traded it in on a small automatic. It
    handled 38's easy enough, but the sights were awful and I just didn't feel like messing with it: really a little too big for the pocket and I wanted a pocket gun. Plus, the .327 also shoots a total of 4 different cartridges and you can't beat that! Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I just went through the same process. I picked the SP but then again I usually carry a 1911. This will be a breeze after that. I really didnt think the 1911 was that bad. If i were gonna carry it as a bug, it would definitely been the lcr but since I know I wont carry 2 guns, I picked the SP.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Does anyone know if the LCR will fit holsters for the SP101 since I already have them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links