New Rock Island M1911 CS

This is a discussion on New Rock Island M1911 CS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, Well I went to the gun show in Columbia yesterday. Browsed around for awhile then found a dealer with some Rock Island M1911s. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rock Island M1911 CS

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar

New Rock Island M1911 CS

Hey everyone,

Well I went to the gun show in Columbia yesterday. Browsed around for awhile then found a dealer with some Rock Island M1911s. I saw a little RI compact & decided to purchase. I believe I got a decent deal. I cleaned it up real well last night & put about 30 or so round nose rounds through it this morning. I experienced not one hiccup. I didn't have time for anymore rounds today but will continue with the testing in a day or two. When I get through about 150 - 200 round nose I'll switch to HPs and I'll see what happens with them. I'm not sure this will ever become my EDC just another gun to take up space in the safe. How many carry the RI compact 1911?
    SCGunLover1

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I don't own one, but, I've only heard good things about them. I've been tempted for a while, and maybe in a moment of weakness I will buy one. Congrats on your find!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I carry and shoot their Government model and its nothing but smooth and reliable
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Congratulations. Keep us posted.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I don't own one but would love to.. heard nothing but positive about RIA
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I own an RIA 1911-CS compact that outshoots my $900 Sig P220 carry, $550 Para GI Expert 1911, Springfield XD .45 Compact, and most of the $1000+ Kimbers carried by other members at my range. It's even more amazing because the first one I bought had serious casting flaws. I called up Armscor to let them know. They paid for shipping both ways and replaced the gun without a question. The day they shipped it back, I got a call at work from Arnel, the primo Armscor gunsmith, telling me he'd picked the best pistol he found out of their most recent shipment, had polished the feed ramp, and test-fired it extensively to ensure it really was ok. These guys are incredible in terms of customer service. And while their pistols aren't the prettiest, with rare exceptions like my first pistol they're built like tanks and shoot like gangbusters. The attached picture is from my last range trip with my RIA. These are two 9 1/2 inch targets at 50 feet. Top target (or left if it rotates) is a 21-round warmup. Bottom (or right) is the remaining 79 rounds. I'm an ok shot, but this is at 50 feet out of a compact 1911 with a 3 1/2 inch barrel shooting handloads (X-treme 230 gr round nose plated bullets over 5.1 gr of W-231, RWS brass, Winchester large pistol primer, COL of 1.250). You're going to love that gun.

One thing I forgot to add is that I did replace the GI sights with a 3-dot set from Fusion Firearms. Still, most of the accuracy is due to the RIA, not me. I just point it right and pull the trigger right. The gun does the rest.

I carry one daily. Have close to 1000 rounds through it with only a few hiccups, which were do to lack of cleaning and not weapons malfunctions. Apparently the sights are not standard Novak cuts, so it is a pain to put in new sights. This is what I have read and been told while searching for both XS Big Dots and Novak sights at least. Other than that, I love my RIA Compact.

The sights I got from Fusion were for a Model 70, front sight narrow tenon. Even so, my gunsmith had to do some filing to get them to fit. Only cost me $35 for the installation, so well worth not having to do the fitting and staking myself.

I own a RIA Compact Tactical. Purchased it brand new and have put 450rds through it so far with no complaints. I have CC'd it, just to compare the difference between it and my Colt Defender Which is my prefered choice. I noticed that it was a little heavier, but not unpleasant.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

I have had a RIA compact 1911 for almost 5 years now,I got mine NIB for $369.00,I bought a Colt SS Combat Commander XSE for almost $1000.00 and added big dot nite sights,the RIA has a smoother crisper trigger than my Colt,I wouldn't have any problem carrying either one,I really need to get nite sights on the RIA for summer carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    It's good to hear that the RI CS is at least a fairly decent gun with only a few problems here and there. I just need to take it back to the range and get some rounds through it to prove before carrying it.

Now, where can I purchase some new thinner grips for this thing? Thanks,
    Last edited by scgunlover1; June 14th, 2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Need more info on grips
    SCGunLover1

GM
    Congrats and enjoy! RIAs are good 1911s. But just for your information let me tell you that the picture is too blurred, and then it is not possible to distinguish the pistol from the background very well
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've had one for a little over a year and have been very impressed with its accuracy and reliability through about 600 rounds. Had a few hiccups initially but mainly because I was shooting cheap ammo. Very accurate for a 3.5" barrel, I regularly shoot 8" steel plates at 25 yards with no problems. For the money its a very decent gun.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Anyone ever had their 9mm 1911? I was thinking of one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links