Should I get an M&P 360

This is a discussion on Should I get an M&P 360 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a pocket size carry pistol for the hot summer months... I just can't find a small semi auto that I'm comfortable with. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get an M&P 360

Should I get an M&P 360

I'm looking for a pocket size carry pistol for the hot summer months... I just can't find a small semi auto that I'm comfortable with. I absolutely love the little airweights and I'm really wanting the M&P 360. Anyone have any experience with these?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm looking closely at one, myself but couldn't resist a local shop deal on a Bodyguard .38 special with laser for $489 (plus tax) minus $50 rebate, weighing in at 14.3oz. The 360, in 1.875 at 13.3 oz, is probably be my second choice.
    There are previous threads about shooting 357 out of an airweight. Never done it, but general consenus is not for fun. I figure that with all the good men and women who have trusted their lives to the .38 special +P then it's good enough for me.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    You're asking me? Go for it. It will also shoot mild mannered stuff. What's not to like?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I'm looking closely at one, myself but couldn't resist a local shop deal on a Bodyguard .38 special with laser for $489 (plus tax) minus $50 rebate, weighing in at 14.3oz. The 360, in 1.875 at 13.3 oz, is probably be my second choice.
    There are previous threads about shooting 357 out of an airweight. Never done it, but general consenus is not for fun. I figure that with all the good men and women who have trusted their lives to the .38 special +P then it's good enough for me.
    The only lightweight weapon I can say is not bad shooting .357 out of is the Ruger LCR in .357.... and that is what I am going to recommend to you to take a look at. It is also cheaper to own. I owned an m&P 340.... as for the 360 the only drawback I see is the hammer getting caught up for pocket carry.... I recommend one with a shroud like the 340 if you decide to go smith, but you will not like the recoil with the .357 and it is not impossible, but a pia to get back on target quickly and get good combat accuracy. Otherwise it is very lightweight and good for deep AIWB or pocket carry. Go shoot a couple if you can, LCR, 340, 360... see what is right for you. They are all fine weapons, but in my personal experience, the LCR .357 is hands down the best of the bunch.

VIP Member
    A side note: the 360 can be had in any hammer style: internal, shroud, or external.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Thanks for the input. Although I have heard a lot of good things about the LCR, I'm partial to the M&P Smiths. I have two others and man I am very happy with them, as well as Smith and Wesson's customer service. I have, however, heard about problems with the frames cracking in the airweights. Is this still a reoccurring issue or is this something that S&W has worked out in the current models?

I have the M&P 340....in .357 it is a bear. It literally feels like a firecracker going off in your hand. If you dont kill the BG with the bullet the noise and concussion will surely scare them off. I can go with any flavor of 38 all day. No problem. That being said it is not a 50 yd gun....it is barely a 25 yd gun. I carry 3 rounds of .38+p in the first 3 and .357 Gold Dot Short Barrel HP in the last two. I figure if I get down to the last two round sina five shot snubby and the .38 +p hasnt worked I am not gonna care about a little sting in my hand from the last two rounds. My speedloader is also .357.

All that being said...I LOVE mine. IMHO there is not a more versatile lightweight pocket revo out there. The Big Dot front sight is awesome. I would not hesitate to buy the 360 if I were you if the hammer starts snagging in your pocket take it to a good gunsmith and get it bobbed.

Now that the warm weather is here mine is my everyday gun in my pocket. It is literally so light I have to check my pocket on occasion to assure its still there. Go get it and either put it in a Mika or Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    Last edited by jwhite75; June 14th, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have the M&P 340....in .357 it is a bear. It literally feels like a firecracker going off in your hand. If you dont kill the BG with the bullet the noise and concussion will surely scare them off. I can go with any flavor of 38 all day. No problem. That being said it is not a 50 yd gun....it is barely a 25 yd gun. I carry 3 rounds of .38+p in the first 3 and .357 Gold Dot Short Barrel HP in the last two. I figure if I get down to the last two round sina five shot snubby and the .38 +p hasnt worked I am not gonna care about a little sting in my hand from the last two rounds. My speedloader is also .357.

All that being said...I LOVE mine. IMHO there is not a more versatile lightweight pocket revo out there. The Big Dot front sight is awesome. I would not hesitate to buy the 360 if I were you if the hammer starts snagging in your pocket take it to a good gunsmith and get it bobbed.

Now that the warm weather is here mine is my everyday gun in my pocket. It is literally so light I have to check my pocket on occasionto assure its still there. Go get it and either put it in a Mike or Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

I'm pretty sure if you get down to the last 2 shots, the recoil isn't going to be a concern. In fact, I'm pretty confident that you wouldn't feel the recoil on shots 1,2, and 3 in a real life situation.

I see an Airweight in my near future. I just need to decide on which one. Thanks for your input.

You are probably right about shots 1 2 and 3 but I also like the fact that they are more controllable. I want those first few shots to be well contolled and placed if possible. You really dont understand the recoil the litle 357 has in you hand until you shoot it. Its not just stinging it takes some holding on to really keep it in your hand.

It should also be noted it is not recommended to shoot anything smaller than 125 gr in magnum loads. My .38s are 110. my .357 are 135.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The only lightweight weapon I can say is not bad shooting .357 out of is the Ruger LCR in .357.... and that is what I am going to recommend to you to take a look at. It is also cheaper to own. I owned an m&P 340.... as for the 360 the only drawback I see is the hammer getting caught up for pocket carry.... I recommend one with a shroud like the 340 if you decide to go smith, but you will not like the recoil with the .357 and it is not impossible, but a pia to get back on target quickly and get good combat accuracy. Otherwise it is very lightweight and good for deep AIWB or pocket carry. Go shoot a couple if you can, LCR, 340, 360... see what is right for you. They are all fine weapons, but in my personal experience, the LCR .357 is hands down the best of the bunch.
    Big time!

I took three of my revolvers out this last weekend and ran some round through all of um. I took my S&W637, LCR and my Taurus 650 .357mag. Outa all three, the S&W 637 was by far the worse for recoil than all of um. I was shooting standard 158gr ball and just a few 125gr +p .38s. OUCH! Even the +ps were a pain in the you know what outa that small Smith. I can't imagine shoot full house .357 outa a similar weight J frame Smith. The LCR was the most accurate even against the SA 637 which I found interesting. Here's the LCR @ 7yds and shots were less than a second apart from each other.

And here's the Smith DAO, same shot timing and at the same distance.

The Taurus was a champ and held its own when it came to accuracy, but it excelled at taming the +p round due to the additional weight.

Anyway, for what's it worth. I'd suggest renting one of the small J frames and busting of a few .357 loads with one before you take the plunge. Being that you need to practice with your carry choice I doubt it very seriously if you'll be enjoying .357 loads outa any air weights. The LCR has an advantage with the Hogue Grip, but even then it's still a very stout recoil to contend with. You could always get the .357 and shoot the +p or standard pressure heavy .38s if you wanted.

Good luck
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I will definately shoot one before I buy. I didn't know about the minimum loads of 125 gr. Glad you mentioned that. I shot a 642 a few days ago and I didn't find the recoil to be bad at all. In fact I enjoyed shooting it! I'm sure there will be a big difference in the 357 though.

Do you have the factory grips on yours or did you upgrade. I have real big hands and am wondering if I would benefit having larger grips? But I want it because its so easy to conceal...

Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    I will definately shoot one before I buy. I didn't know about the minimum loads of 125 gr. Glad you mentioned that. I shot a 642 a few days ago and I didn't find the recoil to be bad at all. In fact I enjoyed shooting it! I'm sure there will be a big difference in the 357 though.

Do you have the factory grips on yours or did you upgrade. I have real big hands and am wondering if I would benefit having larger grips? But I want it because its so easy to conceal...
    All of mine are factory grips except for the Taurus which has a larger Hogue grip on it. It does help with the recoil for the .357 load, but I mainly shoot +p outa it when at the range. I'd say that an oversized grip would help with the recoil for most any handgun, but IMO, it's the light weight of the small J frame that's the real factor when it comes to the recoil. My choice for a defense load is this stuff, Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC (850fps/M.E. 253 ft. lbs.) IMO, that's a pretty darn good load for CC in a airweight revolver.

Take care, and have fun gun shopping.

I will weigh in here. I don't have a problem with this model, per se, however, I prefer the standard airweight 38 spl revolvers. I don't really trust the scandium frames and the airweights have a tried and proven history. If I am going to endure recoil of that magnitude, it will be from a significantly bigger caliber.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Do you have any suggestions on where I could find the best deal on an ariweight?

Buds Gun Shop.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links