.25 acp

This is a discussion on .25 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I am new here and I have seen this debate raged so many times over on different forums...I'd thought I'd ask. Who has/does carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: .25 acp

.25 acp

Since I am new here and I have seen this debate raged so many times over on different forums...I'd thought I'd ask.
    Who has/does carry a .25 acp?
    Yes its like shooting toothpicks at a polar bear, but a gun is a gun.
    I carry a .25 acp currently, who else has the courage to admit they do/have?

2. Remove Ads

I have in years past when attire and circumstances would not allow something larger. I still have the one I toted along with some other .25 automatics but no longer feel the need to tote one since the advent of the Kel Tec P3AT and other runt .380s of its ilk. A .25 is awfully weenie.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The P3AT is something I am looking into, I am 165 pounds and thin. What I loved about my .25 was how it would disappear under normal cargo shorts and a t-shirt.
    I also have more shooting time with this .25 than any other handgun I own. I regularly can put 8 rounds in a target at 25 yards offhand, yeah yeah tell me how it's too long for practical range but hitting a target at 25 meters with such a small gun means I can put 8 quickly into something much closer.

Heck even a .22 LR is better than a .25. The guns out there today with a good holster and belt will disappear just as well and have much more fight stopping power. I have seen the terminal ballistics of the .25. It usually takes MULTIPLE shots and has to be a very lucky shot placement to work. I have the extreme rare experience to work in death investigations and have a friend who is a forensic firearms examiner. I have seen what bullets ACTUALLY do. If it is all you can afford to have then it is better than throwing rocks but if you can get something else....do it.
    ksblazer likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Heck even a .22 LR is better than a .25.
    For reliability I would take a .25 over a .22, my 25 caliber Titan (an oxymoron for sure) has yet to give me a single failure.
    Here is a good comparison in regards to "power".
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/Comparat...%2012APR11.pdf

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I am not saying a .25 is worthless yes it has killed people, but I wouldn't put myself on the line with one. I shot a TV with a .25 at a dump sight and the bullet didn't penatrate the screen completely! So when said BG has on a t-shirt, sweater, and a leather jacket what do you think is gonna happen?? I bet for just as many people that have killed people with a .25 there are even more that the BG killed them and took the .25 and got some first aid for the .25 wound.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

From a two-inch barrel a .22 Long Rifle is most assuredly not better than a .25 ACP. Neither is enough cartridge to be worth debating but the .25 ACP does come off looking marginally better over the chronograph when fired from similar vest pocket models. The rock-throwing analogy still holds for both rounds when used in the tiny guns.

In quality guns at least, the .25 ACP gives better feeding and function than the longer rimmed .22 Long Rifle.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I used to buy into the ".25 is more reliable than .22" argument, but since I've owned .25s in Beretta, Browning, Bauer (two of them) and Raven persuasion, no more. All but the pot metal Raven would malf at least once in every mag, and the Raven was almost as big as some current 9x19 guns. The Raven never jammed when I was shooting it, though. I have a Beretta 21A, however, that never malfs if I feed it CCI Mini-Mags.

Since one can get a .32 ACP in ".25 size" with a Seecamp LWS-32, almost the same size with a Kel-Tec P-32, and a .380 almost as small with the P3AT, I see absolutely no reason to ever carry a .25. The only (sort of) effective ammo ever produced for a .25 was the old MSC round, which has been out of production for about 20 years, and much good ammo is being made for .32s and .380s.

Shooting someone with a .25 is likely to really piss him off, and he might just hurt you. Also, the intimidation value is pretty much nil.

I have a italin made .25 auto. I dont carry it. Nuff said.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I know a cop who carries a Raven as a BUG, says he has never had a single malfunction with it in his possession (which more than likely is over a decade).
    Same goes with my Titan .25. When I first bought it in a trade, it wouldn't fire. Filing the damaged slide fixed it and it hasn't failed me yet. I think I might have had one FTF shooting some Hornady 35 grain JHP, those rounds would spit powder in your face everytime (not pleasant to shoot).

I have a 25 that I will never shoot are sell, it was my mothers. It stays stored except for cleaning and wiping down with a silicon cloth.

VIP Member
    I got a 25 Titan for a wedding gift. Within a month I read up on it and got a 45. My father in law has the 25 now, but he hasn't read up on it yet. There are 9s and 380s the same size, if you're interested.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    I know a cop who carries a Raven as a BUG, says he has never had a single malfunction with it in his possession (which more than likely is over a decade).
    Same goes with my Titan .25. When I first bought it in a trade, it wouldn't fire. Filing the damaged slide fixed it and it hasn't failed me yet. I think I might have had one FTF shooting some Hornady 35 grain JHP, those rounds would spit powder in your face everytime (not pleasant to shoot).
    Yea that 35 grain is a real power house......I have to agree your 35gr is much more of a man stopper than my 230gr JHP. End Sarcasm ......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Yea that 35 grain is a real power house......I have to agree your 35gr is much more of a man stopper than my 230gr JHP. End Sarcasm ......
    Don't forget that it is traveling at over 900 fps. That's pretty fast! I was waiting for sarcasm in this thread

Cool

My .25 acp Beretta stays in my golf bag because I don't have safe queens and every one of my handguns has to have a function or they go. I figure that on the golf course I can use my sand wedge before I will need
    the . 25. LOL

Back in the 70's when working undercover narcotics I carried a .25 acp because it did not look like a cop gun and I figured it was better than nothing but not by much. I am glad I never had to use it.

My BUG is a .380 and that's as low as I want to go to protect me and mine.

photo.jpg 9mm round in the middle
    click to enlarge
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links