Got shot at this evening

This is a discussion on Got shot at this evening within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not a relaxing time at the Gun Club this evening. Some kid went into the 100 yds range, which is 200 yds down the hill ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Got shot at this evening

Got shot at this evening

Not a relaxing time at the Gun Club this evening. Some kid went into the 100 yds range, which is 200 yds down the hill from the pistol range, and his shots were ricocheting over the 20 foot berm into the trees behind me. Had to hit the deck and sprint when I figured he was reloading. He was hitting the ground in front if his target and the bullets were ricocheting into the trees. His privileges have been revoked, since he had not gone through the qualification to use that range.

Not fun hearing lead zing overhead.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

2. Remove Ads

Glad no one was hurt..

Not a good way to get the blood pumping...

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

You didn't get shot at, you got ricocheted towards. Big difference, no intent on the part of the shooter, just ignorance.

Of course, bullets flying your way are always unnerving, glad you didn't get hit!

I almost got hit by my own ricochets once from a shotgun.
    Forgot about rule 4 when we shot at a bowling pin, shot hit the rubber tire backstopped and bounced right back at us. Sounded like someone chucked a handful of pebbles at the wall.
    For some reason wet dirt and mud are great material to ricochet bullets, I've seen it plenty.

Not the kind of range trip I want to experience.

I knew I was safe, but hearing the lead fly overhead and through the leaf canopy was unnerving to say the least. Never experienced that before!
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

VIP Member
    Glad you're safe. You're never too young or too old to be reminded of the rules. For the kid's sake, I hope he can regain his privileges after a proper orientation.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Innocent mistake for the kid, he just needs to go through the qualification for that range. You have to shoot from the bench....and you have to be able to put 10 shots on paper at 25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Not the kind of range trip I want to experience.
    Reminded me to keep my SA on alert while at the range.....mistakes can happen. Usually, I'm up there with one of my three kids and safety is first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    You didn't get shot at, you got ricocheted towards. Big difference, no intent on the part of the shooter, just ignorance.

Of course, bullets flying your way are always unnerving, glad you didn't get hit!
    Thank goodness they aren't the same thing! Ricochets are not fun, glad nobody was hurt.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Range Safety is everone's responsibility!

Here is a Rick-O-Shay that everyone seen! YouTube - ‪Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet‬‏

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Just another reason I have my own range on our 50 acre farm.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

When I shoot trap, it is a common experience to hear shot tinkling through the trees, and to have bits of clays landing near you. I always wear eye protection for this reason. Some others don't. D'oh!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

The outdoor range I am a member of does not allow shooting at the ground,or shooting at targets where your rounds impact the ground instead of the 20 ft high dirt berm,if you manage to get a ricochet you are required to change whatever your doing wrong,you continue to get ricochets and your membership will be revoked,They are Serious since they just built 2 schools about 300 yards west of the gun range,shooting lanes run South
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Woah! Where was the range master and his parents? Man I am glad you are okay!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links