Just For Fun - Old Police Revolvers Thread

This is a discussion on Just For Fun - Old Police Revolvers Thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not quite as antiquated as might be assumed, revolvers like these can still admirably serve to defend. Here are two once common revolvers that filled ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Just For Fun - Old Police Revolvers Thread

Not quite as antiquated as might be assumed, revolvers like these can still admirably serve to defend. Here are two once common revolvers that filled holsters of lawmen across the nation through much of the 20th century. They're still the one of the very best ways to shoot .38 Special at the range and they make great bedside handguns. They can be concealed with the right holsters and apparel. The .38 Special can be quite capable in one of these revolvers with correct ammunition selection. These medium sized, 6-shot, steel-framed models handle +P ammunition with ease. They may not hold "lotsa bullets" but they are repeating handguns which offer follow-up shots.

This Colt Official Police is a NYPD gun from the 1950s and has the officer's badge number stamped on its back strap. It came to me in its Jay-Pee holster.

This Smith & Wesson Model 10 dates from the 1970s and came from a Central Texas law enforcement agency according to the pawn shop where I acquired it.

Do any other Forum members have any old police guns? Especially with interesting histories to tell?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have no old ones, but I do enjoy the pics...thanks for posting.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

photo.jpgI only have this m66-2 that I purchased off a retired US Marshal friend. It saw alot of use before his retirement before the wondermatics came into being. I dressed it up and put it to use. I see now why they are antiqidated and obselete. They are only capable of 35 yard coyote kills.
    bmcgilvray, pistola and Cuda66 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Hi Glockman10mm;

Our ol' mangy coyotes here look plum starved compared with that fine, healthy specimen. Good shooting with an especially useful revolver sporting nice grips!
    Arborigine likes this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I'm a fan of the old Model 10s. I have 2 of them, a 5" 10-5 and a 3" 10-5. Both are serviceable and useful guns. The one with the 5" barrel is as sweet a shooter as I've got.
    Attached Images
    Old School, pistola and Rigrat like this.

I have a pair of M64s which were police turn-ins. The one shown below is a factory DAO conversion allegedly sold to NYPD, but I'm unable to confirm by serial number. It now sports Eagle 'Secret Service' grips. Its big brother is a 4-inch, and it's a an accurate and easy shooter.

M64-Eagle.jpg
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Here is a 66-1 2.5" B.D.P.S.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Cool

No old police guns but the two you showed pictured were the two models that I carried on the job in my first couple of years.

The Colt was my first issued in 1968 then the department replaced them with the S&W Model 10 in 1970. Both great weapons. Memories !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Well, not a "police" gun, but I have an interesting S&W model 15 from the local prison. It was a tower gun and was carried in all kinds of weather. It was Parkerized sometime in its career, and the initials of the prison and a rack number was carved into the frame and sideplate (with what looks like a rusty nail).

But the sergeant from the arsenal there told me they did an action job on every one that came in then test fired them and put them out where they were assigned. The ones assigned to training got shot all the time, the others only once every couple years when they got inspected. Mine is ugly, rough, and well worn, but is a great shooter (just like its owner...). I hope it counts as far as this discussion goes.

bmcgilvray and jwhite75 like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I guess you don't want to see my 1979 W. German Police Sig P6, since you asked for revolvers.

I need to find some good deals on some S&W revolvers from before I was born, they just look like revolvers should, and pieces of art.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I guess you don't want to see my 1979 W. German Police Sig P6, since you asked for revolvers.

I need to find some good deals on some S&W revolvers from before I was born, they just look like revolvers should, and pieces of art.
    Aww Buckeye, go ahead.

I got to play with someone else's P6 last year on an outing and I thought a lot of it. Took a photo of it lying on the pickup bumper. That's a great way to do 9mm. Good size, handles well, easy to shoot. I could buy this one any time I wanted and may "get a round tuit."

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Well, not a "police" gun, but I have an interesting S&W model 15 from the local prison. It was a tower gun and was carried in all kinds of weather. It was Parkerized sometime in its career, and the initials of the prison and a rack number was carved into the frame and sideplate (with what looks like a rusty nail).

But the sergeant from the arsenal there told me they did an action job on every one that came in then test fired them and put them out where they were assigned. The ones assigned to training got shot all the time, the others only once every couple years when they got inspected. Mine is ugly, rough, and well worn, but is a great shooter (just like its owner...). I hope it counts as far as this discussion goes. ]
    The Model 15 was the sidearm of USAF Security Police for 30 years. Yours should count here. I have a 4" Model 15. Great revolvers.
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray likes this.

My uncle has my grandfathers S&W model 10 saved at home. My grandfather used to carry it on a belt old western style for the longest time with a small knife at his side.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I've got a 4" Model 10-2 made in the early 60's. I love shooting it and I do carry it sometimes. It looks a lot like the model 10 posted by the OP. It has a little holster wear around the crown of the barrell otherwise the finish is in great shape.

I was issued a Model 15 when I hired on. I was quite happy with it until I got my Model 27, then the 15 was relegated to the safe.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links