XD(m) .40 3.8 Compact Range Report (w/ pics)

This is a discussion on XD(m) .40 3.8 Compact Range Report (w/ pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my new XD(m) .40 3.8 Compact out to the range today with my XD 9 subcompact (which is my EDC) to do a side-by-side ...

Thread: XD(m) .40 3.8 Compact Range Report (w/ pics)

XD(m) .40 3.8 Compact Range Report (w/ pics)

Took my new XD(m) .40 3.8 Compact out to the range today with my XD 9 subcompact (which is my EDC) to do a side-by-side comparison.

Weighing both on my postal scale with an empty compact magazine the XD9sc came in at 1lb 10.1 oz and the XD(m) .40 3.8 compact came in at 1lb 11.48 oz (so approximately 1.38 oz more for the XD(m).

Length is 6.25" for the XD9sc and 6.75" for the XD(m) .40 3.8 compact which is a 0.5" premium for the XD(m). However the barrel is 0.8" longer so even with the significantly longer barrel they managed to only add half an inch to the overall length of the handgun which is great!

Height of the XD9sc is 4.75" with the compact (13 round magazine) and height of the XD(m) .40 3.8 compact is 4.6" which puts the XD(m) about 4mm shorter than the XD. That doesn't seem like much but every little shaved mm helps when it comes to concealed carry.

While I didn't take the measurements for width of both... they seem very close to the same width however the XD(m) *feels* like it isn't as wide because of the taper at the top of the slide. The XD9sc is roughly the same width at the bottom of the slide but is squared off at the top and seems somewhat blocky in comparison to the taper of the XD(m).

I don't have a way to measure the trigger pull of each but Springfield puts them both at around 5.5 to 7 lbs. In doing side-by-side comparisons it felt like my XD9sc was slightly lighter on the trigger than the XD(m) .40 compact. Not by a ton but enough to notice the difference. However the XD(m) .40 compact seemed to have a slightly less reset on the trigger which was nice.

I have shot other .40 caliber handguns before and they were all significantly snappier than the 9mm's I have shot so I expected this to be no different. However I was pleasantly surprised. While there is more snap in the recoil of the XD(m) .40 3.8 compact vs my XD9sc... it really wasn't as much as I expected. It was VERY manageable. To be honest I wouldn't say it was significantly snappier at all... only slightly snappier. My first couple of shots reflected this because I was expecting a hard-hit recoil and braced for it... but it wasn't bad at all.

I took some pics of my targets... I tested mostly at 7 yards. It may not be the most appropriate distance for checking accuracy but that is what I practice at most for defensive scenarios so that is what I tested at as well. You'll notice in each side-by-side comparison of the XD9sc vs the XD(m) .40 3.8 compact that the .40 was just as accurate if not (in most cases) more accurate. I'm sure the longer barrel length has quite a bit to do with this.

As far as ergonomics of the two... they are similar in ergos but the XD(m) edges it out in overall comfortable feel in my hand. Both feel great but something on the XD(m) just makes it feel like a natural extension of my forearm. It is kind of hard to explain unless you have held both. I took a 1/8" straight punch and hammered out the pin that holds the adjustable backstrap and tried all three different sizes and came back to the #2 which made it feel just right. The #1 felt like it wrapped my thumb around too much and the #3 felt like it pushed my thumb back too far so the #2 was perfect.

I tested accuracy with the compact magazine as well as the extended magazines. I was expecting the extended magazine to assist in accuracy but it didn't seem to. I seemed to do better with the compact magazine that I did with the extended (on the XD(m) .40 compact anyways... it was right opposite for the XD9sc... on it I did better with the extended mag). All of my compact magazines for both handguns have the Pearce grip extensions installed because my pinky falls off the bottom of the grip when they aren't installed. They make a HUGE difference for us guys with big hands.

I posted some pics of the XD(m) .40 3.8 compact in another thread located here if you would like to see them.

The final word? I'm in love! I think I have found my new EDC. I still love my XD9sc and will still enjoy using it at the range but the XD(m) .40 3.8 compact just feels so good and is so accurate that it feels like it was made just for me! Another bonus is that it fits all of my current holsters that I use for the XD9sc so there will be no need to purchase new holsters.

So here are my targets in the side-by-side comparison. For the most part I was getting very consistent 2" or sub 2" groupings with the XD(m) .40 3.8 compact. I'm sure others could have gotten them even tighter so definitely don't look at the groupings as a result of the gun itself. I'm sure in the hands of someone more experienced those 1.5 and 2" groupings would have been even tighter at the same distance.

This last one was my last 10 round magazine of the day. I got more comfortable with it as the session progressed and this one shows that if you've got a proper grip and stance... and aren't anticipating or worried about recoil that it shoots exactly where you point it!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Nice!

I noticed that "better with the flush mag" behavior as well, when I first started with my 9mm 3.8 Compact.

I think it's because subconsciously, I was (and you might be, too ) taking just a bit more time with your fundamentals, on what you're *expecting* to do worse with - and this compensation, subconscious it may be, still helps the real-world results, even at close range.

I've found that as I put more rounds downrange with my 3.8 Compact, that indeed, I do shoot better with the extended magazine, *if* I'm putting the same amount of effort (maximal) into both - instead of "just shooting."

And like you, I've also found the Pearce Grip Extension to help *tremendously*.

The .40 makes bigger holes. That makes me happy.

I hate to admit it but I am more accurate with my duty carry weapon, Sig P229 40cal, than I am with my everyday carry even though the P229 is to big for my hands to manipulate the decock and mag release with one hand. I guess its due to the fact I spend a lot more time with my duty carry, free ammo 200 rounds every Monday, than I do with my EDC.
    I see the improvment as you got more aquainted with your gun, nice pics.

Nice shooting! I am a fan of the XD series and it is good to hear a solid report on the XDM 3.8 40 compact. It should make a nice partner to your XD9SC. Enjoy the gun!!

nice. i was considering picking up an xdm 3.8

Glad you guys enjoyed the report. I've always enjoyed reading range reports from others so thought I would try and do a detailed one for others to enjoy. As soon as I get my SA 1911 Range Officer back from Springfield (it arrived with broken rear adjustable sites) I'll do a range report on it also. Gotta say... their customer service is second to none!

Links