NAA Guardian .32 NAA

This is a discussion on NAA Guardian .32 NAA within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone use this caliber for a BUG? and is the NAA a reliable gun? Is is better, worse or same as 32ACP & 380 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAA Guardian .32 NAA

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

NAA Guardian .32 NAA

Does anyone use this caliber for a BUG? and is the NAA a reliable gun?
    Is is better, worse or same as 32ACP & 380 for stopping power?

Thanks
    Bill

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not really sure how you get an accurate ''stopping power'' assessment but - it must of course be superior I'd think to the .32 acp.

If you go by - which ammo maker was it? - a vid demo - two shots will take down a hog in that lil gun with that ammo!!

On balance - just my thinking - it could well be more effective than .380. I would tho like to see some comparitive data - which I expect is around somewhere.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I keep going back and forth on it, but maybe it's a keeper since it fits perfectly in my back pocket in a Hedley Holster (in any pants). My knife is a backup to it. I'd hate to be the bad guy if it ever gets to that.

Anything is better than nothing but it's hard to say really. Anyone up to being the test subject on this?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I'd bet the 32 NAA trumps 32ACP and 380. The high velocity will equal more penetration and likely more reliable expansion. Both are the main problems with these rounds. I just wish it was a common caliber and I could go to Wally World and buy a 100 round Value Pack. Then I'd be much more likely to buy.

I think the .32NAA is basically around the same as the .380 only in the smaller frame package. I would check the ballistic data on the North American website.

Sorry about my last post. I just checked North Americans website.The .32NAA is the same frame size gun as the .380 from North American Arms and the ballistics are superior to .380 ACP+P. I was thinking about the .25NAA.

erh

Exclamation The way "I" see it...

I carry either a .32acp, a .380acp or whatever else (all going ^^ in caliber...) strikes my fancy on any given day... The 'Lil pocket pistols are my most often carried probably. (Admittedly, in some cases it's a full 9mm Rohrbaugh...) But small is quite appropriate allot of the time in my now-a-days line of work..!
    I think as long as you're able to react & hit what you're shooting at "repeatedly"; the "Bad Guy's" not gonna notice which of these calibers you are "Lettin' the Mean out of 'em with..!"
    Really just my .02 cents...
    Oh also, I don't have any experience w/ either the .25 or .32 NAA cartridges, and I sold (Traded off...) my .357 SIG barrels along the way too. I'm a purist when it comes to such things.. "What works, works just fine..!"
    Last edited by erh; July 30th, 2006 at 07:49 AM.
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Appologies; my response was of a .32ACP. I see your post concerns the .32NAA.

Here is a couple of links concerning the .32 NAA.

http://www.naaminis.com/32NAArel.html

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/32_0924/

http://www.mouseguns.com/amball.htm

I'm thinking about converting a Browning 1910 to this caliber impress by the caliber's performance over the .380. You should note that they are getting these measurements from a 2-1/2 inch barrel. The 1910 has a 4 inch barrel so my expectation is that the caliber will show even greater potential.

PS. The August 2006 edition of the American Rifleman has an article concerning the Guardian in the .32 NAA.

What Iam seeing from all your posts are pretty much what I am thinking on the NAA, ACP question, while the NAA may trump. Does the lack of availiable ammo worth remove the edge? Does anyone else make a gun for the NAA caliber shell?

For pocket carry I would like to have a Rohrbaugh but just cann't justify a GRAND for something once used, will never come back to you from the proterty room because it left in someone else's pocket. and I have not found any other gun that is that small in 9mm.

So lets me ask the question, Which is the best round for Personal Defense the 32, 0r 380 ACP?

Thanks
    Bill

I have a .32 NAA Guardian (I'm working on an article). It's a very handy little gun. I shot it in conjunction with a .380 Colt Mustang, which is roughly comparable in size. The .32 NAA definitely has more power -- more recoil, more ooomph -- than the .380.

The gun itself is nicely made, simple to strip and clean, and has never given me any problems. Ammo is not very common right now, but it is available -- I bought a bunch online from a source in the city where I work, in fact. No one else makes a gun for the NAA proprietary calibers.

STMICHS; you posted while I was typing the North American website shows that coming out of a 4" barrel it jumps to the 1400fps range.
    The article in American Rifleman what got me to think about the NAA caliber.

Thanks
    Bill

There is also a conversion for Mak's to .32NAA. Having tried the North American Guardian in .380. I wouldn't buy a .32NAA. I found the trigger pull to be to hard on the .380 and the grip to small for my hand. Also to much recoil for that sized gun as it is a straight blow-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO
    STMICHS; you posted while I was typing the North American website shows that coming out of a 4" barrel it jumps to the 1400fps range.
    The article in American Rifleman what got me to think about the NAA caliber.

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanx for that info. I didn't check the site out only because I wanted to get the information from an unbias third party. But what I read it's pretty close to the 1400 fps.

I've been thinking about the cartridge since I seen one of the Guardians at one of the local gun shops about a year or so ago and as the guy behind the counter what was a .32 NAA? The only reason that I haven't purchase one is that I thought the pistol was to small to control reasonably if I had to make a follow up shot, so I've been look around for an .380 that could be easily converted, and decided that the Browning 1910 would probably be the best choice.

Though longer in the slide and grip the 1910 is pretty slim and I like the fact that it's single action. Though not as easy to conceal as the Guardian. I believe the ability to control the weapon is a little more important then it's concealibility and the add lenght of grip is worth it. The only drawback that I see is the magazine release (European) which is located on the butt of the grip.

I want to take a look at the differences between the .32 and .380 barrels to see if it's reasonable (and safe) to just machine out the chamber on the .32 to handle the .380 caseing or sleeve the barrel of the .380 to handle the .32 bullet. I have yet to find any barrel specs. for the 1910, so I'm leaning towards the sleeve at this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links