Ruger revolvers

Ruger revolvers

This is a discussion on Ruger revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife owns two Ruger revolvers, one is an SP101, .357 /.38 Special. The other is a GP100, same caliber. She carries the SP101 all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger revolvers

Ruger revolvers

My wife owns two Ruger revolvers, one is an SP101, .357 /.38 Special. The other is a GP100, same caliber.
    She carries the SP101 all the time. She has her CCW permit. CC is legal for anyone over 21 in AZ, as long as you are in the approved carry-category (no felonies, etc.).
    My question pertains to carrying a full-capacity cylinder load or hammer down on an empty cylinder. My wife thinks it is safer for her to carry with hammer down on an empty cylinder rather than carry a full-load. I am of the belief that because of the transfer bar in both revolvers, it is safe to carry a full cylinder and the hammer down does not contact the round because of the transfer bar holding the hammer up and away from the loaded cylinder.

Am I correct, or is my wife correct? I want her to be safe.

YOU are correct. Ruger revolvers are so safe with that transfer-bar ignition system there is NO REASON to make that SP101 a FOUR SHOOTER. Get that revolver loaded up! NOTE: Any modern American-made DA revolver is supposed to be carried fully-loaded and are SAFE to do so.
    [/B]
    Bark'n likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

You are correct sir. She is safe carrying a full 6 or a full 5 whatever the case may be.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    YOU are correct. Ruger revolvers are so safe with that transfer-bar ignition system there is NO REASON to make that SP101 a FOUR SHOOTER. Get that revolver loaded up! NOTE: Any modern American-made DA revolver is supposed to be carried fully-loaded and are SAFE to do so.
    [/B]
    Thank you sir. I thought that was the case.

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't it nice to win one on occasion!
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    Isn't it nice to win one on occasion!
    It is! But remember rule #1 "if Mama ain't happy...nobody ain't happy"
    Last edited by Stubborn; June 15th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    The way the transfer bar system works on a Ruger revolver I would be willing to bet you could clamp the revolver in a vise and beat on the hammer to the point it is smashed and still not cause it to fire.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The way the transfer bar system works on a Ruger revolver I would be willing to bet you could clamp the revolver in a vise and beat on the hammer to the point it is smashed and still not cause it to fire.
    I would be willing to bet same. Rugers are safe, stout, reliable revolvers.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

I will concur with everyone else; you are correct.

Carrying with the hammer down on an empty cylinder comes from the old SAA days.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    JFWIW, my wife too carries a SP-101 fully loaded. I really like the transfer bar concept. Unload the pistol, recheck that is it unloaded, close the cylinder and observe what takes place as you pull the trigger. If you look closely you will see the transfer bar move up in the hammer opening. The bar is a bit wider at the top than the bottom. Your wife can then see there is a gap between the hammer and firing pin.

Enjoy your fine revolvers!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The way Rugers are built, chances are you'll destroy the hammer your beating it with, before you destroy the gun!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

[/B]
    ^^^ Bingo ^^^ I dropped my SP101 loaded with Speer Gold Dots square on the hammer on concrete and it didn't hurt a thing. The only noise it made was a clank. Modern revolvers are drop safe.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Direct your wife's attention to p. 12 of the GP100 manual and p. 13 of the SP101 manual for gudiance from Ruger about what's safe to laod. Hopefully she'll believe it if she sees it in the OEM's instructions.

You can get the manuals on line here: Ruger Instruction Manuals & Product History
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

[/B]
    This post is worth repeating! BTW... Ruger revolvers are some of the best tools ever built. Their fit and finish is impeccable, they are stout and strong with solid lock up and can handle full power loads all day long. Their triggers are relatively smooth and crisp and they are just pretty to look at.

Also the transfer bar safety is one of the best revolver safety mechanisms.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links