Defensive Carry banner

The Ruger LCR .357 and different speedloaders

33K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  jsleoy 
#1 ·
I got three different types of speed loaders from L to R:

( prices do not reflect shipping/tax and may vary depending upon vendor)

S.L. Variant Model J-36 - $30.00

HKS 36-A - $8.00

Safariland Comp I J-C7 - $10.00

Speedloader not tried:

Five Star Firearms 36/LCR 05R - $20.00

I tried all three with the Houge tamer grip on first.

The Safariland Comp I J-C7 just would not fit. It rubbed on the grip, it went in an an angle and no matter how hard I try to force it it just will not make contact with the cylinder to release the bullets. It is a NO GO under any circumstances.

Next up with the Houge tamer grip is the HKS 36-A. The fit is tight, and it gets in there enough ( but not all the way) to release the bullets, however, under stress or speed loading, sometimes it gets a little cockeyed and one of two things happen..... First the release is hard to twist and get the bullets in and second some of the bullets do not drop from the loader and get hung up when clearing it and either drop to the ground or interfere with the loader clearing. It does work however so I give this loader a MARGINAL.

Finally the S.L. Variant Model J-36

It goes in a wee bit tight as well, however the speed loaders offer an adjustment to either spread or draw the bullets closer to tailor it for your weapon. However the spring loaded bullets fire cleanly into the cylinders every time. They are pricey, but I don't put a price on reliability and function. I am going to pick up one more and use them as my EDC. I give this loader a GO.

It was hard to do this one handed and demonstrate while holding the camera but here is a quick poorly filmed example with the camera on my knee:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Next I tried with the Hougue boot grip on.

Again the Safariland Comp I J-C7 just would not fit. Same as above. It is a NO GO under any circumstances.

The HKS 36-A went in further and proved more reliable with the boot grip but I still experienced a couple issues just not as much, again MARGINAL.

The SL Variant loader worked flawlessly again. Shooting the cartridges into the cylinder with force. This is a GO.

So in Summary:

The Safariland Comp I J-C7 is a NO GO and does NOT work with the LCR under any circumstances with either grip.

The HKS 36-A is a MARGNINAL GO. it would take extreme proficiency under stressful circumstances to make this reliable with the Houge tamer grip. Reliability increases with the Houge boot grip but is still not enough for me to be comfortable with it. I can be used but I do not recommend it at all.

The S.L. Variant Model J-36 is a GO with both the Hougue Tamer and Houge boot grip. I will be adding a few more to my equipment collection real soon.

Not tested: Five Star Firearms 36/LCR 05R

See less See more
#2 ·
Great write up. The grips were the only thing that swayed me to go with the SP versus the LCR. If it had different grips (other than those they currently offer) I would have went with the LCR.

#3 ·
You should have patience. It is a new revolver line.... soon I am sure some nice checkered rosewood boot grips for the LCR..... just like I had for my Taurus and smiths.

an e-mail I recieved:

Thank you for your inquiry. We are currently working on a line of grips for the LCR. However they are not in production as of yet. We will post pictures and pricing when they are available on our website at Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips when they are in production.
Bill

#8 ·
5starfirearms.com
Ruger LCR | S&W Airweight | S&W Model 36 & 60 Accessories

There were a couple of previous discussions on speed loaders for the LCR. Here's one. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/115508-speed-loader-ruger-lcr-3.html

The 5-star does carry the rounds more lose and so they rattle a good bit. Some like to drop a speed loader in the pocket, I don't know how this would work for you. It works fine for me to carry it in a Gould & Goodrich full size speed loader pouch. Just an extra thin piece of foam rubber in the bottom to take up the difference. If I want a pocket carry reload I use a speed strip.

I thought I had posted these pics before, but I cannot find them here now. So here they are again.

5star beside an HKS36

#9 ·
So how dies it work? Twist or push? Is it tight fit? How about under pressure? Doing it fast with adrenaline up. I am going to use the sl variants but I am curious about your assessment in comparison to the hks. Photos of it in weapon ? Thoughts?

#11 ·
Hey Brady and azchevy, I just bought my LCR a couple of months ago and I ordered the HKS speedloader from Ruger.com shortly afterwards. I practiced with the HKS but have quit because I am discouraged and cannot get it to work efficiently. Brady offered a link to an earlier thread and one guy suggested moon clips. I think I would like to try some of those. Do either of you know where I can find some to try. They don't look like they are very expensive. By the way, I am new to revolvers, this is my first one, so I apologize in advance if this question sounds stupid to either of you.

#13 ·
I have never heard of using moon clips with the LCR nor am I interested so I wouldn't know where to look. Maybe googling it? Speed strips and the sl variants have fulfilled my needs for reloads. If I feel the need for more ammo I will just pocket carry my p3at as a ny reload or leave the LCR at home and grab the g29 and a 15 or 20 round backup. Otherwise a speed strips or two or a speedloader in my pocket will suffice. They are both lightweight enough.

#14 ·
Moon clips work great. I would not even jerk around with speed loaders. Just get your rig chamfered and you should be all set as long as the Ruger has a similar bullet pattern to any of the S&W. Mine drop in super fast and are nowhere near as big as a speed loader.

#17 ·
Moon clips are great for competition but in my experiences I have found that they are thin and are prone to bending during everyday carry. I had a smith 9mm with moon clips. They did not impress me. I will stick to not paying a smith to modify my weapon and practice with the loaders and strips. They are fast enough and not prone to bending and causing loading issues in the rare case I have to defend myself and the even rarer case I need to reload. I require and demand reliability in all of my carry equipment and the moon clips have not proven themselves reliable enough to use for edc.

#19 ·
Moon clips are great for competition but in my experiences I have found that they are thin and are prone to bending during everyday carry. I had a smith 9mm with moon clips. They did not impress me. I will stick to not paying a smith to modify my weapon and practice with the loaders and strips. ...
My curiosity has suddenly lost steam.

#20 ·
I am not looking to modify my LCR just so I can use moon clips, but now that I am looking at it loaded, that is exactly what would have to happen. There just isn't any room. Oh well, I'll just keep carrying my LCP as a BUG, both have been 100% reliable so far. Thank you for your replies everyone.

#21 ·
The sl variant loaders, speed strips , and according to others the five star firearms loaders work just fine. It is only the safariland that does not work and the hks that works but is tight. You have three options that work fine.

#22 ·
I have never tried moon clips before so i can not help you on that one. The 5-Star re-loader has a turn release knob just like the HKS. The difference is the 5-Star is slightly smaller so it fits better but also carries the ammo much more lose. It loads like a breeze. It rattles as you handle it, some will not like that at all. It is also all aluminum so perhaps a bit sturdier? I'm loving mine.

I have no problem with HKS for other guns that they fit. I have some for my Dan Wessons and I am very satisfied with them

When I pocket carry the 5-Star, which is not often, it is the only thing in that pocket. So far it has not lost its grip on the ammo. I have big legs so concealing it in pocket is no easier than a pouch on the belt for me. Looks like a golf ball in the pocket. Of course I have explained away the extra wallet in my pocket when carrying the LCR there as well.

#23 ·
...I have big legs so concealing it in pocket is no easier than a pouch on the belt for me. Looks like a golf ball in the pocket. Of course I have explained away the extra wallet in my pocket when carrying the LCR there as well.
The Battle of the Bulge

#25 ·
I tried the 5 Star speedloader -- with an SP-101, not a LCR. Experience was similar to yours with Safariland -- can make it fit, but not easily and not quickly. So -- not really a "speed" loader at all. If I use .38 special rather than .357, it works fine, though. (But .357 is why I bought the SP).

Just ordered an SL Variant. Have been using TUFF Speed strips -- they work pretty good.

#27 ·
Moon Clips

My wife got me the LCR-357 with CT grips for a father's day gift. I've run about 700 rounds of 38 through it and about 50 of 357. HK36 speed loaders will jam if you're not careful. I haven't gone to moon clips yet but you can go to tkcustom.com if your serial serial # is above 546-11326. No one else I contacted will do moon clips for the LCR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.