The Ruger LCR .357 and different speedloaders

This is a discussion on The Ruger LCR .357 and different speedloaders within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got three different types of speed loaders from L to R: ( prices do not reflect shipping/tax and may vary depending upon vendor) S.L. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Ruger LCR .357 and different speedloaders

The Ruger LCR .357 and different speedloaders

I got three different types of speed loaders from L to R:

( prices do not reflect shipping/tax and may vary depending upon vendor)

S.L. Variant Model J-36 - $30.00

HKS 36-A - $8.00

Safariland Comp I J-C7 - $10.00

Speedloader not tried:

Five Star Firearms 36/LCR 05R - $20.00

I tried all three with the Houge tamer grip on first.

The Safariland Comp I J-C7 just would not fit. It rubbed on the grip, it went in an an angle and no matter how hard I try to force it it just will not make contact with the cylinder to release the bullets. It is a NO GO under any circumstances.

Next up with the Houge tamer grip is the HKS 36-A. The fit is tight, and it gets in there enough ( but not all the way) to release the bullets, however, under stress or speed loading, sometimes it gets a little cockeyed and one of two things happen..... First the release is hard to twist and get the bullets in and second some of the bullets do not drop from the loader and get hung up when clearing it and either drop to the ground or interfere with the loader clearing. It does work however so I give this loader a MARGINAL.

Finally the S.L. Variant Model J-36

It goes in a wee bit tight as well, however the speed loaders offer an adjustment to either spread or draw the bullets closer to tailor it for your weapon. However the spring loaded bullets fire cleanly into the cylinders every time. They are pricey, but I don't put a price on reliability and function. I am going to pick up one more and use them as my EDC. I give this loader a GO.

It was hard to do this one handed and demonstrate while holding the camera but here is a quick poorly filmed example with the camera on my knee:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Next I tried with the Hougue boot grip on.

Again the Safariland Comp I J-C7 just would not fit. Same as above. It is a NO GO under any circumstances.

The HKS 36-A went in further and proved more reliable with the boot grip but I still experienced a couple issues just not as much, again MARGINAL.

The SL Variant loader worked flawlessly again. Shooting the cartridges into the cylinder with force. This is a GO.

So in Summary:

The Safariland Comp I J-C7 is a NO GO and does NOT work with the LCR under any circumstances with either grip.

The HKS 36-A is a MARGNINAL GO. it would take extreme proficiency under stressful circumstances to make this reliable with the Houge tamer grip. Reliability increases with the Houge boot grip but is still not enough for me to be comfortable with it. I can be used but I do not recommend it at all.

The S.L. Variant Model J-36 is a GO with both the Hougue Tamer and Houge boot grip. I will be adding a few more to my equipment collection real soon.

Not tested: Five Star Firearms 36/LCR 05R
    Cory1022 and BlueNinjaGo like this.

2. Remove Ads

Great write up. The grips were the only thing that swayed me to go with the SP versus the LCR. If it had different grips (other than those they currently offer) I would have went with the LCR.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Great write up. The grips were the only thing that swayed me to go with the SP versus the LCR. If it had different grips (other than those they currently offer) I would have went with the LCR.
    You should have patience. It is a new revolver line.... soon I am sure some nice checkered rosewood boot grips for the LCR..... just like I had for my Taurus and smiths.

an e-mail I recieved:

Thank you for your inquiry. We are currently working on a line of grips for the LCR. However they are not in production as of yet. We will post pictures and pricing when they are available on our website at Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips when they are in production.
    Bill

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I'm just curious, since the 5 star speedloader is cheaper than the SL, why haven't you tried it out? Do you think you will in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I'm just curious, since the 5 star speedloader is cheaper than the SL, why haven't you tried it out? Do you think you will in the future?
    I'd love to see a "photo test" with that as well!

I didn't buy it because it is shiney and because all the revolver comp guys i know swore by the sl so I tried it first. Ten extra bucks well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You should have patience. It is a new revolver line.... soon I am sure some nice checkered rosewood boot grips for the LCR..... just like I had for my Taurus and smiths.

an e-mail I recieved:
    I dont know where I saw it but I have seen a LCR (357) on one of the weapons board that was sporting a set of rose wood grips and it looked sweet. i remember thinking to myself that had they been available at the time, I would have went with the LCR. I have a feeling my next purchase will be a light weight 1911.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    5starfirearms.com
    Ruger LCR | S&W Airweight | S&W Model 36 & 60 Accessories

There were a couple of previous discussions on speed loaders for the LCR. Here's one. Speed Loader for Ruger LCR

The 5-star does carry the rounds more lose and so they rattle a good bit. Some like to drop a speed loader in the pocket, I don't know how this would work for you. It works fine for me to carry it in a Gould & Goodrich full size speed loader pouch. Just an extra thin piece of foam rubber in the bottom to take up the difference. If I want a pocket carry reload I use a speed strip.

I thought I had posted these pics before, but I cannot find them here now. So here they are again.

5star beside an HKS36

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

So how dies it work? Twist or push? Is it tight fit? How about under pressure? Doing it fast with adrenaline up. I am going to use the sl variants but I am curious about your assessment in comparison to the hks. Photos of it in weapon ? Thoughts?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    ya, we need more details please.

Hey Brady and azchevy, I just bought my LCR a couple of months ago and I ordered the HKS speedloader from Ruger.com shortly afterwards. I practiced with the HKS but have quit because I am discouraged and cannot get it to work efficiently. Brady offered a link to an earlier thread and one guy suggested moon clips. I think I would like to try some of those. Do either of you know where I can find some to try. They don't look like they are very expensive. By the way, I am new to revolvers, this is my first one, so I apologize in advance if this question sounds stupid to either of you.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemarlin View Post
    Hey Brady and azchevy, I just bought my LCR a couple of months ago and I ordered the HKS speedloader from Ruger.com shortly afterwards. I practiced with the HKS but have quit because I am discouraged and cannot get it to work efficiently. Brady offered a link to an earlier thread and one guy suggested moon clips. I think I would like to try some of those. Do either of you know where I can find some to try. They don't look like they are very expensive. By the way, I am new to revolvers, this is my first one, so I apologize in advance if this question sounds stupid to either of you.
    Not stupid at all. I'm very curious about the moon clips myself.

I have never heard of using moon clips with the LCR nor am I interested so I wouldn't know where to look. Maybe googling it? Speed strips and the sl variants have fulfilled my needs for reloads. If I feel the need for more ammo I will just pocket carry my p3at as a ny reload or leave the LCR at home and grab the g29 and a 15 or 20 round backup. Otherwise a speed strips or two or a speedloader in my pocket will suffice. They are both lightweight enough.

VIP Member
    Moon clips work great. I would not even jerk around with speed loaders. Just get your rig chamfered and you should be all set as long as the Ruger has a similar bullet pattern to any of the S&W. Mine drop in super fast and are nowhere near as big as a speed loader.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

So you are making modifications to a weapon to save a few bucks and shave a few oz? I dont see a real benefit but to each his own Strips and loaders for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links