Ruger P345 why is it not more popular - Page 2

Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

This is a discussion on Ruger P345 why is it not more popular within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of the responses are mildly warm at best. I sold a Glock 30 and replaced it with the Ruger p345 and never regretted doing ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Most of the responses are mildly warm at best. I sold a Glock 30 and replaced it with the Ruger p345 and never regretted doing so. The Ruger is slimmer, more ergonomic, just as accurate, just as reliable, just as soft shooting, and I find it much easier to carry than the Glock 30. Additionally, I can shoot any configuration bullet out of the Ruger, lead, semi-wadcutter; you name it. I can't do that with the Glock.
    True the DA trigger is a little heavy, but I find single action to be fine. I give the p345 a thumbs up!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I bought a P345 and an S&W M&P .45 at about the same time. Although I had to do some things to the P345 to make it work like I wanted (remove mag. disconnect, replace mag. followers and springs, and replace hammer spring), I liked it a lot better than the M&P (and I am normally a great S&W fan, have several 3rd gens.). I ended up trading away the M&P. The P345 just shoots better for me (YMMV). As far as the safety being upside down, that is only true if you teethed on the 1911; I don't happen to care for the 1911. Besides, as far as I am concerned, a safety is only useful as a decocker.

I don't (usually) carry the P345, but it is a great house gun.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Well just now getting back to check replies. After years of looking and thinking it felt as good in the hand as any gun I have held I purchased one. I bought a used one for $265.00 OTD. I have yet to shoot it. I agree the DA trigger is pretty strong. I havent taken it apart and cleaned and lubed it. I may down the road add wolf springs and debur the inards. I figure for the price I cant beat it.

I have always shunned Ruger handguns as... well... ergonomic nightmares, to be kind.

Last year, I was assigned a serial number restoration project on a seized P345. It took several days, and as I handled the pistol I realized that this one was NOT cut from the usual Ruger pistol cloth. The grip actually felt good to my hand, and the pistol was even a LITTLE bit aesthetically pleasing... as opposed to ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road.

When a used one came up on our local gun board, at a very attractive price, I snarfed it. After working out with it a bit, it became my "car gun"... where it sits today. I shoot it every few months for grins, and to clean & re-lube, etc. It has been quite accurate and dependable, even with my SWC cast bullet reloads.

Compared to many other offerings, it is indeed a bit larger and heavier than I personally would like for a carry piece. But I would not hesitate to carry it if it was all I had available to me... and I would carry it over several popular makes of today.

The Walther slide mounted hammer-dropping safety was revolutionary... in 1932. I think makers are finally getting away from it, and it is the only real complaint I have regarding the P345. Ruger made a decocking-only version for a short while. To me, this is the ideal configuration if one must have a Walther slide safety. Why Ruger discontinued the P345DC after less than two years is a mystery.

Anyway... IMO, the P345 is a solid, dependable pistol. One could do a lot worse; mine will certainly end up with my grandsons.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It will never be popular because it is a Ruger.
    Bill Ruger was an antigun elitist. Ruger never got into the defensive handgun market because he did not like the idea of concealed carry. It wasnt until his demise that they even ventured into the defensive firearm market.

The biggest detractions from any Ruger firearm is the horrible trigger. The eningeers at Ruger let the lawyers dictate to them how to build so they make the trigger as heavy as possible to prevent any liabilty. I changed many Ruger triggers on rifles that would have a 400 pound Gorilla break a sweat when he tried to squeeze the trigger.

The sales people at the Ruger factory are some of the rudest, most arrogant, incompetants I have ever dealt with. I had heard that from others for years until I actually tried to get some meaningful dialouge from one of the LEO sales reps. That sorry excuse for a wench actually hung up on me. One would think that when attempting to order 120 rifles that a salesperson would be happy to talk to you right? Not this one. I must have kept her from playing Solitare on her computer and interrupted her.

That one did it for me. For all I care, the factory RUGER could burn up. If not another Ruger ever occupied American air space it would be well with me. They should go move to France where they would be appreciated.

As for their firearms,most of them suck. They do make some good single actions and a couple of double actions...if you scrap the gorilla triggers and put real ones in them. As for their long arms, most are just a piss poor copy of a Mauser action with the same atrocious trigger. Some of their M77's you could stick in the forks of two trees and hang a dead deer from the trigger without fear of tripping it.

Now lets get to ther serious part. How many LEO agencys are using them? Not many. How many government agencys are using them? Even less. How many people buy them for a first gun? Lots, because they dont know any better. Now, lets cut to the chase. How many people buy a SECOND one?
    That number is even less than the first couple of categorys.
    There are Colt collectors, S&W collectors, Sig and HK collectors.
    How many are acutally Ruger collectors? Not many. Ruger gots its name from the .22 pistols and it keeps it name with the .22 rifles. Without those they would be just another has been wannabee.
    I finally have someone who see's Ruger like I do. I think you have a little more hate then I do though! LOL

For example, just break down every category of gun they make. Are the the leader in any of them?

Let's break it down and truly ask yourself does Ruger thought of as a front runner with any of these products in their respective categories. They put out decent middle of the road firearms that tend to be a touch cheaper then their competitor.

By the way, they must get their warning signs from the same people who make Canadian cigarettes.

1. SR9 (me too cheaper product)
    2. Ruger 1911 (me too cheaper product)
    3. LCP9 (stole poor keltec's blue prints, and actually charge more then keltec)
    4. Ruger revolvers (cheaper product, and not a leader by any means)
    5. SR556 (another me too product)

Last edited by C hawk Glock; June 17th, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I finally have someone who see's Ruger like I do. I think you have a little more hate then I do though! LOL

For example, just break down every category of gun they make. Are the the leader in any of them?

Let's break it down and truly ask yourself does Ruger thought of as a front runner with any of these products in their respective categories. They put out decent middle of the road firearms that tend to be a touch cheaper then their competitor.

By the way, they must get their warning signs from the same people who make Canadian cigarettes.

1. SR9 (me too cheaper product)
    2. Ruger 1911 (me too cheaper product)
    3. LCP9 (stole poor keltec's blue prints, and actually charge more then keltec)
    4. Ruger revolvers (cheaper product, and not a leader by any means)
    5. SR556 (another me too product)
    I have to disagree with some of this. First of all, every firearm company in existence makes a "me too" product, or else we certainly wouldn't have as much variety to choose from as we do. Who DOESN'T make a polymer frame semiauto pistol nowadays? I fail to see why "me too" is supposedly some kind of bad thing. There are only so many viable firearms designs, so every product put out by every manufacturer is going to be a variant of one of those designs. Picking on Ruger for releasing a 1911 is especially funny, since everybody and their brother makes a 1911 nowadays. At least Ruger's is 100% American made, and not some Brazilian piece with an American name stamped on it.

I'll heartily agree that the LC9 sucks. I owned one for about 10 minutes. The trigger pull is awful, and with all of the safety crap on it, it doesn't hold a candle to the simple, reliable Kel-Tec PF9. However, I do think that the LCP is better than the P3AT, if for no other reason than the use of better materials. It doesn't bother me that it's an upgraded copy of the P3AT. Every modern production 1911 is an upgraded copy of someone else's design. Should the 1911 be restricted to Colt only?

As far as the SR-556...same thing as the 1911. Anybody out there who doesn't make an AR platform rifle? The SR-556 seems to get really good reviews. Perhaps police departments don't use them, but what department does use piston rifles?

For a shooter, I'd take a Ruger Vaquero over any other single action revolver out there. As far as "not being a leader" in anything, I'd say that when reloading manuals have "Ruger/Freedom Arms Only" loads, that is a testament to the strength and durability of their revolver designs. If I could only have one .357 revolver for the rest of my life, it would be my GP-100. I'd have no worries about durability, and no Hillary Hole lock to contend with.

After owning several S&W Airweight revolvers, I have found my LCR to be far superior to any of them in trigger pull and shootability. The XS night sight on the front, and the ability to change the front sight easily, makes it a far better option than anything that says S&W on the side at that price point.

Although I wish that Ruger would drop a lot of the "safety" crap on their semiauto pistols, I am glad to see an American firearms manufacturer doing well. Bill Ruger has been in the ground a long time, and the fact that Ruger makes handguns for the concealed carry market nowadays is pretty fair evidence that some of his ideas are dead as well.

Personally, I couldn't care less about a company being a "leader," if they make a good product that serves my needs, at a good price point. Good thing, too. I'd have to throw away my beloved M&P 45c, since Gaston is the leader in such things. Or would I have to throw away my Glock 26 because HK did polymer first? I keep forgetting.
    10thmtn, paullie and Chevyguy85 like this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Hmmm...I own, or have owned:

Mini 14 (older one)
    Mini 14 (new model)
    M77 bolt gun (.223)
    M77 bolt gun (.22 LR)
    LCP x 3
    10/22
    SP101 (.357 Mag)
    Mk II

Yup - them Rugers really suck. Send all of yours to me.

All the dealings I've had with their customer service folks have been excellent.

I guess those of you who hate on Ruger (the company) because of Bill Ruger (the deceased man) must not buy any German or Japanese cars, or any Austrian, German, or Italian firearms because, you know, they were the bad guys once, too.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have an old Ruger P95 that is a tank. Reliable, dependable, not picky at all, and shoots more accurately that any other gun I've had. It seems the P345 is the .45ACP version of the P95. Based on my experience with my P95, I would think it would be just fine. Perhaps a little large for carry, but doable. I also have a Ruger Police Service Six and SP101. They all seem great to me. Never any issues.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I will start with saying I don't like ruger semi's so I am a little baised, but the P345 just doesn't cut it for me. I like consistant trigger pulls and the idea of the double then single action just isn't something I like. It is like the worst of both worlds..... it is like they took the worst features of a 1911 and mixed them with the worst features of a DAO pistol and you get the P345. It is fine for the range, but would never make an apperance in my carry rotation.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I really enjoy my P345, but it was my first handgun. I didn't grow up around 1911's or really any guns. It's a great range gun, has ambi safety, and the slide is easy for me to rack. I can barely cycle my husband's P220 or G29, but I know that I can fully operate my P345. It's in my nightstand every night ready for when I will need it most.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Gee. I like most Ruger firearms. And I am always on the lookout for a very clean P90. The P345 has never really appealed to me, however.
    Around here Rugers sell very well, so I'm not sure about the "popularity" thing.

To each his own.........

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I am wondering why this gun is not more popular.
    That is easy to figure out.

1) Most 45 purists tend to favor the 1911 platform.

2) It is a big and heavy gun to try to carry concealed.

3) For home defense, many folks prefer a high cap pistol if it is legal in their state.

4) The SIG P220 is a better gun, and is available in smaller configurations for concealed carry.

And if a person really wants a light and compact pistol to carry concealed, get a compact pistol in .40 S&W It will be much smaller and lighter, and the .40 S&W is just about as reliable a manstopper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Hmmm...I own, or have owned:

Mini 14 (older one)
    Mini 14 (new model)
    M77 bolt gun (.223)
    M77 bolt gun (.22 LR)
    LCP x 3
    10/22
    SP101 (.357 Mag)
    Mk II

Yup - them Rugers really suck. Send all of yours to me.

All the dealings I've had with their customer service folks have been excellent.

I guess those of you who hate on Ruger (the company) because of Bill Ruger (the deceased man) must not buy any German or Japanese cars, or any Austrian, German, or Italian firearms because, you know, they were the bad guys once, too.
    I don't hate Ruger (like hotguns!), but I don't own a single one of them. Each of the guns you listed goes right to the point I made. Every single one of them are middle of the road firearm. None of them are bad by any means, just nothing special.

I dunno - I think the Mini 14 is pretty special. AFAIK, no other maker has a scaled-down M-14 on the market. OTOH, everyone and their smelly uncle makes AR rifles. Personally, I'll take the Garand-style action any day over the AR. YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I dunno - I think the Mini 14 is pretty special. AFAIK, no other maker has a scaled-down M-14 on the market. OTOH, everyone and their smelly uncle makes AR rifles. Personally, I'll take the Garand-style action any day over the AR. YMMV.
    There is a reason that no one else makes a scaled-down M-14.......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links