Ruger P345 why is it not more popular - Page 3

Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

This is a discussion on Ruger P345 why is it not more popular within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I am the oddball here. My 345 is my main carry gun. After I removed the mag disconnect, LIGHTLY polished the trigger and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

I guess I am the oddball here. My 345 is my main carry gun. After I removed the mag disconnect, LIGHTLY polished the trigger and sear, decreased the spring strength on the hammer, increased the recoil spring strength, and polished the breech face it is an excellent gun.

I am not being sarcastic. After the tweaks I mentioned, my 345 is very reliable and accurate. I shot it very well when I was in IPSEC.

The mag disconnect is a potential problem I didn't want. (I experienced NO STRIKES twice before I removed it.) The hammer spring is a bit strong (in my opinion) and the recoil spring was barely strong enough to get mine back into battery. I don't shoot any wimpy loads in it and the stronger recoil spring means the slide will always go back fully into battery.

I guess if you don't want to "tweak it" it might be a bad gun for you but mine is exactly what I wanted in a carry gun and I looked at several. It isn't THAT heavy to me and conceals well with the right holster.

YMMV

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I can't speak for Ruger semi-autos because I've never owned one, but if I had to pick one gun to trust my life to, it would be my GP100 .357. It doesn't get carried because of the bulk, weight, and being hard to conceal, but it's as reliable as they come. The trigger? No, it's not the smoothest piece of machinery I've ever operated but that can be remedied if I decide to.

Back in the late 80's, I rented a "44 Magnum test Fire" video. They covered the S&W Model 29, the Auto-Mag, the Ruger Redhawk, and a few others on the market at the time. When they got to the Ruger, they said, "Ruger won't tell you this because of liability concerns, but if it can fit in the cylinder, this gun can safely fire it."
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I think they are ugly guns. They work but they are ugly. And even more importantly I hated the trigger on them.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    There is a reason that no one else makes a scaled-down M-14.......
    Well, Gen Patton called the Garand the best battle implement ever devised, and the M14 is just a tweaked Garand, and the Mini 14 is just a scaled down M14, so...it must suck...

To your original point - I think Ruger did innovate with the LCR. As far as I know, it was the first polymer revolver on the market. So there.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm another who doesn't care for Ruger firearms, probably the most overrated brand of firearms to ever be marketed. I never knew anything about William B.'s politics but the entire line leaves me cold. Only the No. 1 rifle looks appealing and is available in interesting chamberings but those I've been around are frequently persnickety about their accuracy. I've owned both M77 bolt action rifles that were insufficiently accurate and a Red Label shotgun with all the life of an dense oak 2X4. I'm down to a single M77 that does shoot very well but there is much I don't care for in its design. The 10/22 is particularly loathsome. Yeah, Ruger handguns are "built like tanks" but they aren't as unbreakable as most seem to think. They are clunky and soulless. Life is too short to own Ruger firearms.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    My religious and moral convictions prevent me from stating what I really thought about Ruger,otherwise I might tell you how I really felt. I wrote enough that you get my drift...
    By no means hold back I'll take a Ruger Rifel & Revolver & out shoot most With a Rifel & Revolver of their choice Of Same VAUE PS Ruger Has fine CS, SO I hear ; )
    H/D
    RugerRon likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I've never had to deal with Ruger's customer service. That's because the 5 or so of their guns that I've owned have function flawlessly.

If you find the trigger pull on the P-Series so tough, I'd suggest some grip exercises for your little girly-hands.
    Vaquero 45 likes this.

eb
    I looked at the P345 yesterday. It did not seem to have a mag disconnect as the store clerk and I were repeatedly pulling the trigger using a snap cap with the mag out of the gun. This surprised me, I thought that it did (or maybe it wasn't working right, not sure). Anyway, I liked the gun actually. I had gone into the store with the pre-meditated idea of buying a PX4 in 45, so that is what I ended up doing. The Ruger was $180 cheaper, but I decided not to risk it. The only Ruger I own currently is an LCR revolver, and its been reliable...

Senior Moderator
    Perhaps I should elaborate.

Their customer services are probably OK, I've never dealt with them, so I have no say on that.

Its their sales reps that do the FFL sales that I had issues with. I say "had" because I'll not waste any more time on them.

Their .22 pistols are great. The Ruger MK2 is as fine a .22 semi auto handgun as any out there. There new Ruger MK3 is OK, but they put a stupid magazine disconnect on them and for the life of me I cannot figure out why.

The Ruger 10/22 rifle is one that I am quite familiar with, and its a good solid platform. I do alot of custom builds with them, and I do a lot of squirrel hunting with a suppressed .22 rifle. Lately they have been putting plastic trigger guards on them, and I think that is a step in the wrong direction as it cheapens the feel of them. I hate plastic trigger guards.

The scroll marks that they clutter up their guns with is a bit ridiculous. I dont want to see a paragraph telling me to consult the owners manual for safe use of a firemarm printed on there.

On the other hand...
    Those M77's rifles have contributed significantly to my "gun stash" as I have changed many triggers on them. I've got one in the shop now that I am waiting on a Timney trigger on.

Their semi autos...ugh. I've handled most if not all, and they just dont do it for me. Those Kel Teck clones are problematic at the range. I see alot of people stuggling with them to hit a sheet of paper at 7 yards. I had a CHL class yesterday and there were several out there. Most of the people had a hard time with it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I don't have any Ruger firearms at this time.But I have had many of them. I have always been happy with there Semi Auto's. I like the feel of the P345 but I have never shot one.If it shoots anything like the P90 I would have no trouble using it for a carry gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Their semi autos...ugh. I've handled most if not all, and they just dont do it for me. Those Kel Teck clones are problematic at the range. I see alot of people stuggling with them to hit a sheet of paper at 7 yards. I had a CHL class yesterday and there were several out there. Most of the people had a hard time with it.
    Those are probably new shooters who have not been taught how to properly squeeze a trigger. We have 3 LCPs in our family. I can empty magazine after magazine into one ragged hole at 7 yards with any of them. They are accurate little buggers - if you know how to work a trigger. The other thing that really helps is the finger extension on the mag - it makes it much easier to control the gun.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I love my Mini 14. I really like the sp101. The LCR is cool. I HATE ruger semi autos. The SR9 feels crappy in the hand, and who wants a Glock knock off with a bunch of stupid safeties? Their DA/SA autos to me feel clunky, are ugly and have horrid triggers. The LC9... Don't even get me started If I don't want a Glock knock off with a bunch of stupid safeties I sure as hell don't want a Kel-Tec knock off with a bunch of stupid safeties that costs a hundred bucks more! I guess the LCP is fine, it is a Kel-Tec knock off but it was at least well done. I do kinda like the SR1911.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    I looked at the P345 yesterday. It did not seem to have a mag disconnect as the store clerk and I were repeatedly pulling the trigger using a snap cap with the mag out of the gun. ..
    The P345 action will cycle without a magazine in place; but the firing pin is "locked out" until a magazine is inserted. The few SR9s I have handled here in the lab are the same way.

VIP Member
    Perhaps police departments don't use them, but what department does use piston rifles?
    LAPD SWAT, for one, but they ain't Rugers...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The P345 action will cycle without a magazine in place; but the firing pin is "locked out" until a magazine is inserted. The few SR9s I have handled here in the lab are the same way.

Thanks for the info, I'm glad I skipped it then...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links