Ruger P345 why is it not more popular - Page 4

Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

This is a discussion on Ruger P345 why is it not more popular within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's a Ruger!...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ruger P345 why is it not more popular

It's a Ruger!

Right Holster P345

Quote Originally Posted by John Wesley View Post
    I guess I am the oddball here. My 345 is my main carry gun. After I removed the mag disconnect, LIGHTLY polished the trigger and sear, decreased the spring strength on the hammer, increased the recoil spring strength, and polished the breech face it is an excellent gun.

I am not being sarcastic. After the tweaks I mentioned, my 345 is very reliable and accurate. I shot it very well when I was in IPSEC.

The mag disconnect is a potential problem I didn't want. (I experienced NO STRIKES twice before I removed it.) The hammer spring is a bit strong (in my opinion) and the recoil spring was barely strong enough to get mine back into battery. I don't shoot any wimpy loads in it and the stronger recoil spring means the slide will always go back fully into battery.

I guess if you don't want to "tweak it" it might be a bad gun for you but mine is exactly what I wanted in a carry gun and I looked at several. It isn't THAT heavy to me and conceals well with the right holster. YMMV
    So what is the "right Holster" for the Ruger P345? Thanks

Why are Rugers and specifically the P345 not more popular?

In my mind it's rather simple: There is no worse trigger than a Ruger trigger...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Why are Rugers and specifically the P345 not more popular?

In my mind it's rather simple: There is no worse trigger than a Ruger trigger...
    Trust me... there is.

You've obviously never shot a Stigma.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Trust me... there is.

You've obviously never shot a Stigma.

I have not, but I was referring to Ruger's firearms as a collective.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Well, my P345's trigger is actually not so bad. I handle and shoot a half-dozen or more different Ruger semi-autos weekly. These are guns that cops have taken off the street, and rarely are in any sort of decent shape.

Most of them would be perfectly acceptable to me; but then, I've been dealing with "service pistols" (and their generally dismal triggers) for a long time.

At any rate, methinks your painting Rugers having lousy triggers, "as a collective", is a bit too... broad.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, my P345's trigger is actually not so bad. I handle and shoot a half-dozen or more different Ruger semi-autos weekly. These are guns that cops have taken off the street, and rarely are in any sort of decent shape.

Most of them would be perfectly acceptable to me; but then, I've been dealing with "service pistols" (and their generally dismal triggers) for a long time.

At any rate, methinks your painting Rugers having lousy triggers, "as a collective", is a bit too... broad.

I hear ya, but it isn't just me who thinks this. Steve Fisher and Chris Costa of Magpul Dynamics both made multiple comments as to how "lousy" Ruger's triggers are in general, and I've never shot one that I liked.

Then again, the stock trigger on an M&P is even lousier than a Ruger trigger, but at least it isn't some crazy 12 or 14 lb trigger pull...

Well, I have no idea who those fellows are. One man's trash/another man's treasure, etc.

Understand that I have no particular love for Ruger firearms in general, especially their semi-auto pistols. The P345 got my attention through having to "work" on one. It is only the second Ruger firearm I've ever owned; the first was a M-77 bolt rifle that wasn't particularly accurate. I will likely never own another Ruger.

But I'd darn sure take a Ruger P-series pistol over some of the current "popular" handguns, if I couldn't have what I prefer; because they work, period. While the earlier ones are ergonomic nightmares, to be sure (the P-85 and P-90, specifically), the newer iterations are not bad at all. I have a P-95DC on my bench right now; it feels pretty good in the hand. The DA trigger pull is- well- a DA trigger pull. No worse than most Sigs I've handled. The SA pull is fine.

FWIW, I had an M&P 45C that had a surprisingly decent trigger.

You must be a "1911 guy"...

I bought a ruger p90 a few years ago and that was my first gun of any type. It came with hogue grips that i love and has never let me down. The safety stuff on the side is stupid. As far as function goes its been flawless so flawless in fact that my second gun was a ruger as well LCR 357. You like ford i like chevy to each his own. And if you cant pull a 10lb DA trigger or whatever it is... two words... Weight room

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It will never be popular because it is a Ruger.
    Indeed.
    I have one and it has been perfect. Never a misfeed. I like the single stack magazine.
    Here's my take. It's too heavy for carry, and close enough to a 1911 that if given a choice most will
    opt for the 1911 just because it's a 1911.

P345

Thank you John Wesley. You are not the only one to use the P345 as a main carry gun. I do not find the P345 too heavy. I use a simple Fobus SP11 paddle holster and carry it on my strong side. I often forget I have it, and I carry it all the time. I'm about 5'10" and around 190lbs. I not huge but I am not skinny either. It hides well under a long untucked shirt.

I have used this handgun in IDPA, and while I agree the DA is a bit sloppy while target shooting, undress time and stress you don't notice it on the beep. I have not had any problems with this sidearm that wasn't ammo related. I have fired close to 1000 rounds I think. I can bet my and my family's life on this gun.

The safety is not on backwards because there is no safety. It is a decocker. Put the decocker on, load your handgun, put it in your holster, and turn off the decocker. You carry a P345 like any striker fired gun. The advantage is once you fire your first shot, you are now in single action. I have scored head shots easily from around cover in the above said IDPA.

I have not replaced any springs. The only change from the factory is the front site post. I put in a fiber optic.

I am not myopic to Ruger. The P345 is the only Ruger I own. My other handguns are all S&W.

I don't know anything about the other P models or about any other Ruger for that matter. I didn't know about the politics. (That would have been an issue with me.) However, if you want to carry in .45acp the P345 is a good way to go and gets my highest recommendation.

It will never be popular because it is a Ruger.
    Bill Ruger was an antigun elitist. Ruger never got into the defensive handgun market because he did not like the idea of concealed carry. It wasnt until his demise that they even ventured into the defensive firearm market.

The biggest detractions from any Ruger firearm is the horrible trigger. The engineers at Ruger let the lawyers dictate to them how to build so they make the trigger as heavy as possible to prevent any liabilty. I changed many Ruger triggers on rifles that would have a 400 pound Gorilla break a sweat when he tried to squeeze the trigger.

The sales people at the Ruger factory are some of the rudest, most arrogant, incompetants I have ever dealt with. I had heard that from others for years until I actually tried to get some meaningful dialouge from one of the LEO sales reps. That sorry excuse for a wench actually hung up on me. One would think that when attempting to order 120 rifles that a salesperson would be happy to talk to you right? Not this one. I must have kept her from playing Solitare on her computer and interrupted her.

That one did it for me. For all I care, the factory RUGER could burn up. If not another Ruger ever occupied American air space it would be well with me. They should go move to France where they would be appreciated.

As for their firearms,most of them suck. They do make some good single actions and a couple of double actions...if you scrap the gorilla triggers and put real ones in them. As for their long arms, most are just a piss poor copy of a Mauser action with the same atrocious trigger. Some of their M77's you could stick in the forks of two trees and hang a dead deer from the trigger without fear of tripping it.

Now lets get to ther serious part. How many LEO agencys are using them? Not many. How many government agencys are using them? Even less. How many people buy them for a first gun? Lots, because they dont know any better. Now, lets cut to the chase. How many people buy a SECOND one?
    That number is even less than the first couple of categorys.
    There are Colt collectors, S&W collectors, Sig and HK collectors.
    How many are acutally Ruger collectors? Not many. Ruger gots its name from the .22 pistols and it keeps it name with the .22 rifles. Without those they would be just another has been wannabee.
    Have you ever fired an SR9c? I bet you haven't.

Senior Moderator
    I'll bet I have.
    It's probably the most ergonomic carry piece that Ruger has, but it is still unremarkable enough that I'll never have one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have 3 Rugers that I like, a 10/22, a Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag, and a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in 45 Colt/454 Casull. I enjoy shooting all 3. I had a Ruger Semiauto from the late 90's in 40 S&W. It had a decocker and was a brick. It was a POS and shot the same. I think the front sight ended up falling off and my ex wife pawned it.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

I'll bet I have.
    It's probably the most ergonomic carry piece that Ruger has, but it is still unremarkable enough that I'll never have one.
    What did you think of the trigger?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links